Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 10.71 130.32 -- New Record Pass by Bone-Stock C6 Z06 on Drag Radials

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 12:23 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
9. An opinion: too high a launch rpm with the LS7 clutch produces excessive heat that lessen clamping force available on the shifts. That bring some delay in lock-up post-shift...a recurring deduction. Again, that's my operating theory.
Ranger
I agree with everything you've said John. BUT, regarding point #9, have you seen proof of this theory in any logs? I've only had 2 passes logged ever, so I know minimal about them and reading them, but wouldn't you see RPM spikes (or rises) at or immediately after the shifts if the clutch was clamping less, or if there was a delay in the clutch lock-up?

Wouldn't there be no tire spin then if the clutch was not clamping properly on the shifts?

Ron
Old 12-15-2011, 12:40 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Ron
I agree with everything you've said John. BUT, regarding point #9, have you seen proof of this theory in any logs? I've only had 2 passes logged ever, so I know minimal about them and reading them, but wouldn't you see RPM spikes (or rises) at or immediately after the shifts if the clutch was clamping less, or if there was a delay in the clutch lock-up?

Wouldn't there be no tire spin then if the clutch was not clamping properly on the shifts?

Ron
Ron,

I've learned a lot by studying in-car video showing driver, feet and intruments (tach and speedo). Camcorder recording 60 frames/second.

Keep in mind that on each shift the clutch must reconcile the difference between pre-shift and post-shift rpm. And it slips between the hit and lock-up. When the clutch is hotter, it slips more while negotiating the lock-up.

BTW, the in-car video has more data resolution that the typical data logger. That's especially the case when the PCM is busy with other tasks.

Ranger
Old 12-15-2011, 03:38 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Ron,

I've learned a lot by studying in-car video showing driver, feet and intruments (tach and speedo). Camcorder recording 60 frames/second.

Keep in mind that on each shift the clutch must reconcile the difference between pre-shift and post-shift rpm. And it slips between the hit and lock-up. When the clutch is hotter, it slips more while negotiating the lock-up.

BTW, the in-car video has more data resolution that the typical data logger. That's especially the case when the PCM is busy with other tasks.

Ranger
There's no doubt that you learn MANY things from your analyzation. You are quite the student (and teacher)!

Any time I tried to launch over 4,500 rpms on my Mickey Thompson DR's, the clutch fell to the floor. I have not yet tried a launch over 4,500 rpm's on the Hoosiers. I likely WILL next time at the track just to see the results.

I have been using 4,400-4,500 rpms at launch. John,you are now up to 4,000rpm's at launch. So what launch rpm do you think heats the clutch too much then? We are basically 400 rpms apart now launching since you switched to the Hoosiers, and yet you've improved your MPH & ET.

Ron
Old 12-15-2011, 04:14 PM
paisa427
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive noticed with the stock clutch it tends to heat up quickly. At my last track day ran a total of 3 times. with a 4500 rpm launch my 60fts were as follows: 1.59 then a 1.56. I tried launching at 4800 rpms, it caught me off guard just how hard the car lauched. I was late on the throttle squeeze and ended up bogging a bit but still managed to cut a 1.60 ft. What i noticed best for me to avoid the infamous clutch pedal to the floor, i make sure to do the following.
1. after i do a burn out,when the car creeping towards the staging lights i leave it in neutral and rapidly start pumping the clutch at least about 15-20 times, to try a disperse as much heat in the clutch fluid, to keep the fluid from boiling.
2. after the pass after i park the car i pop the hood and i pump the clutch about 30 times.
3. let the car cool for 30 min hop back in and pump the clutch pedal again another 30 times.
4. let the car cool for 30 min(1 hour total) then make another pass.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:57 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by paisa427
Ive noticed with the stock clutch it tends to heat up quickly. At my last track day ran a total of 3 times. with a 4500 rpm launch my 60fts were as follows: 1.59 then a 1.56. I tried launching at 4800 rpms, it caught me off guard just how hard the car lauched. I was late on the throttle squeeze and ended up bogging a bit but still managed to cut a 1.60 ft. What i noticed best for me to avoid the infamous clutch pedal to the floor, i make sure to do the following.
1. after i do a burn out,when the car creeping towards the staging lights i leave it in neutral and rapidly start pumping the clutch at least about 15-20 times, to try a disperse as much heat in the clutch fluid, to keep the fluid from boiling.
2. after the pass after i park the car i pop the hood and i pump the clutch about 30 times.
3. let the car cool for 30 min hop back in and pump the clutch pedal again another 30 times.
4. let the car cool for 30 min(1 hour total) then make another pass.
I do only #1 on your list, but only pump it like 5-6 times.
The dirtiest my clutch fluid ever was I can equate to the color of honey.

Thanks 1paver.

Ron
Old 12-15-2011, 06:55 PM
paisa427
Instructor

Thanks 1paver.

Ron
like wise, i alwayschange my clutch fluid on a regular basis and everytime before i head out to the track.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:07 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by pit-man
...Ranger, I forgot to also say thanks for all the burnout help at the line. You were there for everyone !!
Pitt.

Glad you brought that beautiful truck for some fall fun at MIR. It ran consistently well. Joley shot three videos of your passes. 11.15, 11.16, and 11.15. I'll do some editing, put them up on my server and send you a discrete link to download them.

Hope you can join us again next fall.

Ranger
Old 12-16-2011, 11:18 AM
pit-man
Le Mans Master

Received 243 Likes on 188 Posts

Pitt.

Glad you brought that beautiful truck for some fall fun at MIR. It ran consistently well. Joley shot three videos of your passes. 11.15, 11.16, and 11.15. I'll do some editing, put them up on my server and send you a discrete link to download them.

Hope you can join us again next fall.

Ranger
Thanks John.

I will probably be in my Z on the next trip to see you guys ! I need to drop my 10.66 to a 10.4 or less.

Pitt
Old 12-16-2011, 01:00 PM
Mike Siska
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by pit-man
Thanks John.

I will probably be in my Z on the next trip to see you guys ! I need to drop my 10.66 to a 10.4 or less.

Pitt

You didn't bring your Harley?
Old 12-16-2011, 01:12 PM
pit-man
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mike Siska
You didn't bring your Harley?
I wish that 10 second Roadking was mine. Actually it is Rick's...and he has kinda wrecked it doing Nitrous burnouts for show. He is kinda skint up pretty bad on his leg and face...lol.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:48 PM
pit-man
Le Mans Master

Another pic John

Pitt
Old 12-16-2011, 10:02 PM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by FNBADAZ06
Question.....

Who's car is this in the picture ?
I'm interested in what the manufacture is of the front runner style wheels on the car

These are Bogart Bolted D-10s.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:46 AM
NHRA95
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks 1paver.

Ron
What happened to 1paver's posts? His posts have disappeared???
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...ck-on-drs.html
Old 12-17-2011, 08:31 AM
Kyle Lemish
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by NHRA95
What happened to 1paver's posts? His posts have disappeared???
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...ck-on-drs.html
Im going to guess they were removed due to credibility? He claimed a 1.50 60' in a stock Z....But looking at your link i wonder if he meant 1.58 and just a typo?...i was waiting for some proof of that launch and until then im going to have to call bs on the 1.50?

Last edited by Kyle Lemish; 12-17-2011 at 08:58 AM.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:43 AM
427silverhotrod
Pro

Nice run, John and thank you for your website It has help me to learn how to drive these Z at the track and saved me from destroying parts in the process. Unfortunately are track has closed forever so I may have to come join you at MIR! Its very nice to see those fast E.t's gives something to brag about on the GTR forums. Thank you again for being a great guy and for great advice to help your fellow racers!
Old 12-17-2011, 10:02 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 427silverhotrod
Nice run, John and thank you for your website It has help me to learn how to drive these Z at the track and saved me from destroying parts in the process. Unfortunately are track has closed forever so I may have to come join you at MIR! Its very nice to see those fast E.t's gives something to brag about on the GTR forums. Thank you again for being a great guy and for great advice to help your fellow racers!
Thanks for the very generous words, 427silverhotrod.

Learning to drive fast cars without breakage is one of life's interesting challenges. It's always reassuring to learn the the technique cribs shared broadly on the www have helped another owner at the track.

Sad to read of another track closing. Many are struggling in the down economy. Fortunately, MIR, Cecil County, Capitol, Atco, Englishtown, Orlando Speedworld (OSW), and Palm Beach International Raceway (PBIR) have weathered it so far.

Ranger

Last edited by Ranger; 12-17-2011 at 10:34 AM.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:20 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

WOW, the C7 has some BIG shoes to fill. I wonder if the next gen vette will be capable of such feats?

Congrats on the fantastic driving, you are a real wheel man.

Tom

Get notified of new replies

To 10.71 130.32 -- New Record Pass by Bone-Stock C6 Z06 on Drag Radials

Old 12-17-2011, 10:38 AM
427silverhotrod
Pro

Learning to drive fast cars without breakage is one of life's interesting challenges. It's always reassuring to learn the the technique cribs shared broadly on the www have helped another owner at the track.

Sad to read of another track closing. Many are struggling in the down economy. Fortunately, MIR, Cecil County, Capitol, Atco, and Englishtown have weathered it so far.

Ranger
Kansas City International raceway (KCIR) closed after 50yrs plus due to the city building houses to close to what was out in the country. So the City and poltics shut them down not the economy. We have a thriving drag racing comunity that now has no place to race.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:05 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
WOW, the C7 has some BIG shoes to fill. I wonder if the next gen vette will be capable of such feats?

Congrats on the fantastic driving, you are a real wheel man.

Tom
Thanks, Tom.

I have a lot of faith in the GM engineers and production team. Suspect they will impress us again with the C7 and new Z06 and ZR1.

My Z06 is a Feb 2006 car. 27K miles. Not missing a beat after 300+ passes. The drive train has been bullet-proof so far. No oil consumption. Still a well-maintained car that's not been a garage queen.

Ranger
Old 12-17-2011, 01:12 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Ranger
I wholeheartedly agree.

Not only is the driver mod the most cost effective by far (save maybe nitrous), it's a pretty fun to beat guys who have spent significantly more than you because you can outdrive them.

And I personally really enjoy working with people as they learn. Recently JustinJor went from 1.9's and mid 11's a couple of months ago to 1.5's and 10.8's last week - no mods, no significant weather changes, just studying the tips of the hot shoes here on the board, learning to read scans to find areas to focus on, and practice.

Both the teacher and the student enjoy this kind of progress and it's fun to pass it along.

Quick Reply: [Z06] 10.71 130.32 -- New Record Pass by Bone-Stock C6 Z06 on Drag Radials