Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 2006 z06 29k Total Transmission failure.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 11:14 PM
Frosty-Z06
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2006 z06 29k Total Transmission failure.

Got off the phone with the dealer. Tranny needs a total rebuild. All synchros are shot, and maybe more. They are saying it's going to be $3500 for a rebuild or $4300 for a new one.

I'm thinking it's not much more for a new one. This is devastating though. This should have been a warranty claim. I mean cmon 29k miles?! I don't drag it!!!

They are checking to see if GM will help out at all. I'm crossing my fingers and praying. If you know anyone that can pull some strings please do!

I also have to replace the rears this month as well. I'm flat broke now, in the hole and may not be able to make it to the Vette's on the Lex!

I'm so stressed right now I'm crossed between feeling like I'm going to vomit and getting in a fetal position in the corner and crying.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:31 PM
PureSwank
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Frosty-Z06
Got off the phone with the dealer. Tranny needs a total rebuild. All synchros are shot, and maybe more. They are saying it's going to be $3500 for a rebuild or $4300 for a new one.

I'm thinking it's not much more for a new one. This is devastating though. This should have been a warranty claim. I mean cmon 29k miles?! I don't drag it!!!

They are checking to see if GM will help out at all. I'm crossing my fingers and praying. If you know anyone that can pull some strings please do!

I also have to replace the rears this month as well. I'm flat broke now, in the hole and may not be able to make it to the Vette's on the Lex!

I'm so stressed right now I'm crossed between feeling like I'm going to vomit and getting in a fetal position in the corner and crying.
Okay, Let me get this right. So all your synchros are done? How did you find this out? Noises? Shifting? were you on the road while it gave up on you? You don't drag it? Track it? How in the hell did this happen? Must of have been there before you bought it maybe? Warranty should cover you bro. I mean if it was completely out of your control you should be covered.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:48 PM
TapOut
Burning Brakes

I had pretty much the same thing happen with mine at 31k miles. No drag racing, and no tracking. I was just shifting during some modest spirited driving and the gear just felt like it got stuck or went into no mans land. Luckily I have the extended warranty and got a brand new tranny from GM dropped in. Also went with a Katech ZR1 clutch kit and flywheel since everything was already out anyway. Good luck, I know how sucky it feels to have the tranny go out with such little mileage, but that comes with the territory of Performance cars.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:56 PM
htvette
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

There's a shop in Ft.Worth that can rebuild T56 trans for about 1k if you can remove and take it there. PM me and I will get the name of the guy that owns the shop.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:37 AM
Frosty-Z06
Instructor

Originally Posted by TapOut
I had pretty much the same thing happen with mine at 31k miles. No drag racing, and no tracking. I was just shifting during some modest spirited driving and the gear just felt like it got stuck or went into no mans land. Luckily I have the extended warranty and got a brand new tranny from GM dropped in. Also went with a Katech ZR1 clutch kit and flywheel since everything was already out anyway. Good luck, I know how sucky it feels to have the tranny go out with such little mileage, but that comes with the territory of Performance cars.
Unfortunately mine is an 06 no 5yr/100k warranty so I think I'm going to get the shaft on this one. 3yr/36k mileage it's waaay over 3 yrs old now even though it is at 29k for mileage. It drove fine but every once in a while it when I had the clutch in an would put in it reverse it would chatter a little then clunk into gear then the car would lunge backwards. I figured it would be bad just not THAT bad. I mean how could the whole tranny be shot??? Aren't these things meant to take a beating? Hell I've driven this thing easier than my Honda! I hope they take care of me. I'll lose a lot of respect for these things if not. Still can't figure out how this happened to me. Obviously it's a defective part. I know not all things can be perfect and that things like this happen. I just hope GM will take care of me so that I will continue being a Vette owner for life.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:43 AM
RamAir972003
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by htvette
There's a shop in Ft.Worth that can rebuild T56 trans for about 1k if you can remove and take it there. PM me and I will get the name of the guy that owns the shop.
Jason you mean tdp the best....
Old 08-11-2011, 12:49 AM
TapOut
Burning Brakes

Unfortunately mine is an 06 no 5yr/100k warranty so I think I'm going to get the shaft on this one. 3yr/36k mileage it's waaay over 3 yrs old now even though it is at 29k for mileage. It drove fine but every once in a while it when I had the clutch in an would put in it reverse it would chatter a little then clunk into gear then the car would lunge backwards. I figured it would be bad just not THAT bad. I mean how could the whole tranny be shot??? Aren't these things meant to take a beating? Hell I've driven this thing easier than my Honda! I hope they take care of me. I'll lose a lot of respect for these things if not. Still can't figure out how this happened to me. Obviously it's a defective part. I know not all things can be perfect and that things like this happen. I just hope GM will take care of me so that I will continue being a Vette owner for life.
Yeah I feel ya....I also have an 06. But the cost of the extended warranty has already paid for itself when my tranny gave out. You're right about the T56 being a pretty stout tranny, but they do seem to blow syncros here and there and it's not THAT uncommon. I'm not sure if the Cobra, Viper etc crowd sees the same type of issues with their T56's, but I know on Vettes the 2nd to 3rd gear syncro is the one that usually fails. If you can't somehow get the dealer to cover this one for you (which I highly doubt), I would try taking it to a performance shop and them rebuild it for you for A LOT cheaper and a lot stronger. Mike Yeager has some good deals too on rebuilding T56 and TR6060 conversions as well. Good luck!
Old 08-11-2011, 01:06 AM
Frosty-Z06
Instructor

Originally Posted by TapOut
Yeah I feel ya....I also have an 06. But the cost of the extended warranty has already paid for itself when my tranny gave out. You're right about the T56 being a pretty stout tranny, but they do seem to blow syncros here and there and it's not THAT uncommon. I'm not sure if the Cobra, Viper etc crowd sees the same type of issues with their T56's, but I know on Vettes the 2nd to 3rd gear syncro is the one that usually fails. If you can't somehow get the dealer to cover this one for you (which I highly doubt), I would try taking it to a performance shop and them rebuild it for you for A LOT cheaper and a lot stronger. Mike Yeager has some good deals too on rebuilding T56 and TR6060 conversions as well. Good luck!
Problem is this is my DD so I kinda need my car back ASAP!
Old 08-11-2011, 01:39 AM
4wheels
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You may want to do some searching on the price, I'm sure I've seen some new trans being sold for around $3200 by some dealers.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:55 AM
Frosty-Z06
Instructor

Originally Posted by 4wheels
You may want to do some searching on the price, I'm sure I've seen some new trans being sold for around $3200 by some dealers.
If I have to replace do I go with a T56 and TR6060?
Old 08-11-2011, 02:03 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

The next time someone says that extended warranties are a waste of money, tell them your story.

...They are checking to see if GM will help out at all. I'm crossing my fingers and praying. If you know anyone that can pull some strings please do!

Sorry to hear of your situation.

You might be able to get a deal on the rear tires over in the parts for sale section of the forum.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:28 AM
AtomicLS3
Instructor

If I have to replace do I go with a T56 and TR6060?
TR6060 is a better tranny.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:07 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If it goes that high you can get a BRAND NEW TR6060 for that kind of cash. I purchased a brand new ZR1 TR6060 for $3500. Call around, you can get one as well, in fact some vendor here had a TR6060 for around that price can't remember who it was.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:14 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Originally Posted by tjwong
If it goes that high you can get a BRAND NEW TR6060 for that kind of cash. I purchased a brand new ZR1 TR6060 for $3500. Call around, you can get one as well, in fact some vendor here had a TR6060 for around that price can't remember who it was.
His dealer is in business to make money.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:31 AM
ChevyEFI
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the future, you may want to regularly test to make sure the clutch is fully releasing; easy enough to do. It also may behoove you to attend a driving school.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:48 AM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 444 Posts

FartPipe has his 2008 C6 Z06 TR6060 in the Parts for Sale section.....$1750+ shipping.

Here's his thread....

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-p...ion-in-pa.html
Old 08-11-2011, 10:48 AM
millhouse1
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ther are 2 different trasnmissions listed for an 06 z06.
List price 3229.41 or 3121.35. Either one would have to come from Michigan. Probably 3 days shipping to Texas. Hope that helps.

Last edited by millhouse1; 08-11-2011 at 10:51 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 2006 z06 29k Total Transmission failure.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:05 AM
Keiffer
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Same thing happened to me at 30000. Mine was covered under warranty
Old 08-11-2011, 11:17 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by tjwong

I remember seeing it as well.....his handle had something like "RPM" in it or something similiar to that.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:21 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by ChevyEFI
In the future, you may want to regularly test to make sure the clutch is fully releasing; easy enough to do. It also may behoove you to attend a driving school.

How do you check to see if clutch is fully releasing?????

Why will it "behoove" him to attend driving school???

Quick Reply: [Z06] 2006 z06 29k Total Transmission failure.