Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 160mph+ w/Stock Aero GS/Z06 ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 11:42 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

I have seen 162(GPS) on the Talladega Super Speedway. I've pushed the car hard through the 33 degree high banked corners. I've run to 158 MPH(6800 RPM) in fourth gear, speed shifted to fifth gear, that jerked the car's front end up quite a bit. The car settled right back down and was extremely stable at that speed and at the lateral G forces in the corners. My impression is that GM did an outstanding job of balancing the front and rear aero of my Z06 to make the car stable at high speeds, yet minimize the aero drag that accompanies changes to the car to minimize lift.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:11 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

I've only been to 175, but the car is very solid, stable, and planted.

The video below was at Daytona before it was repaved, so it was quite bumpy - especially coming out of NASCAR Turn 2 and 4 at about 150. Down the tri-oval front straight and across the s/f line at 175 is like driving down the interstate at the speed limit - no drama at all.

If you want to run the Rolex 24 road course at Daytona, there are several events here this fall - PBOC in Oct, Italian cars in Nov, and an Audi club in Dec (which I think will be in conjunction with Hooked on Driving Dec 2-4).

So.....come on down to Daytona this fall and git 'er up to 175 to see how the car feels!!!

Bob

Old 07-03-2011, 07:45 PM
RFZ
Melting Slicks

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

at 175 my ron fellows z felt light in the front....nice asphalt , some cross wind....didn't like it at all....up to 150 felt fine...added zr1 splitter and side skirts to help with the full width spoiler that comes on the rf..haven't been to 175 since the addition but the looks are killer...
Old 07-03-2011, 08:12 PM
LowFlight
Team Owner

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03, '17
Cruise-In V Veteran

I can't say that I have even been over 90 in the Z06, but in the 2010 ZR1 I saw 160. At around 140, I felt the sterring get just a tad lighter as the front started lifting a bit...other than that, I could have been doing 80 mph with the cruise set....total stability.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:43 PM
ranger1
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had a C5-Z.. loved this car .. untill I picked up my.. 06 C6-Z06, 07 C6 Z.. my 07.. both cars C6.. same aero package.. lowered stock.. full lenght rear spoiler.. stock shocks.. 06... more aggrestive management tracking control.. (I know .. driver's fault)..

My 07... same setup.. Death valley .. close to the bottom.. very planted.. at

185 mph..

Going up HWY 14... up hill.. at 140 ish.. the front end was very lose... I have

MPS ZP 345.. rear/ 285 MPS ZP front..

there was a very strong head wind, as I could feel the front end lift.. not too

cool with the G/F and doggies in the back...

Next move for me ZR1 front spoiler.. to balance everything out along with

new stocks..

Garry
Old 07-03-2011, 09:13 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ranger1
Going up HWY 14... up hill.. at 140 ish.. the front end was very lose...

Garry
I was at VIR last week. The back straight is uphill and I was usually doing around 145-150 into the braking zone.

Below is video of a couple laps. It was HOT, but no crosswind/headwind to speak of. I was on street tires. Last time I ran VIR I was on Hoosiers and they were worth 6-8 seconds per lap.

My car is very solidly planted uphill at 150.

There have been a number of posts here on the forum about guys losing top end speed. When questioned about mods, it always comes out that they have added some aero mods.

A full length spoiler seems to drop 4-5 mph off max speed. Other aero mods will add even more downforce and drag, reducing top speed even further.

The top speed of our cars is drag limited. When thrust=drag, you're going as fast as possible. Add more drag and you're top speed will drop, unless you add more power.

Bob

Old 07-03-2011, 09:40 PM
ranger1
Burning Brakes

Great vid... that is why I am going to get the ZR1 front spoiler.. to balance everything out...

Garry
Old 07-03-2011, 09:52 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ranger1
Great vid... that is why I am going to get the ZR1 front spoiler.. to balance everything out...

Garry
Garry

Make sure you get the reinforcing piece for the front fascia - take a look at this thread where FNQWK got his splitter ripped off the car when the whole fascia deformed from the downforce load the splitter puts on it:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...must-read.html

In that thread you can see this picture of a splitter pulling the grill open:

Bob
Old 07-04-2011, 01:13 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Garry

Make sure you get the reinforcing piece for the front fascia - take a look at this thread where FNQWK got his splitter ripped off the car when the whole fascia deformed from the downforce load the splitter puts on it:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...must-read.html

In that thread you can see this picture of a splitter pulling the grill open:

Bob

Great photo for the wide body bashers to view. They seem to believe that GM made the wide body strictly for the purpose of "looks", where it really was for function. The good looks was a nice result of the changes in the base C6's styling to make the Z06 functional as far as decreasing lift and increasing brake cooling and covering the wider wheel/tires.

Of course, as the photo depicts, adding the ZR1 splitter to the Z06 adds additional downforce to the front, to balance out the wider rear spoiler that many people add to their base C6/GS and Z06. I don't think that many that add the full width rear spoiler, realize that it increases front lift at the same time it decreases rear lift.

The stock Z06 front spoiler works with the stock Z06 rear spoiler and the stock ZR1 front splitter works with the stock ZR1 rear full width spoiler.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:53 PM
Mfahhad
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

i believe i have reached the cars aero limit
220 mph
felt like its going to fall apart at any moment
BTW happy 4july everybody
Old 07-04-2011, 05:54 PM
RobVette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=athaynes;1577717669]I run my stock 09 up to and past 160 several times a week to and from work, when the traffic allows it. I can usually set the cruise at 140 . I am lucky to live in Germany for the time being and when I was looking for a house my only requirement's were a garage and no speed limit to work. I have 20 km of restriction free, no entry or exit ramp autobahn between the office and my house . The road surface changes 3 times in that stretch and I run next to a 1 meter concrete wall in the left lane most of the way, unless traffic is really lite or someone wants to pass (that GT3 RS is a sneaky little bastard) then I will run down the center. I brought over my 2005 base and it was not bad at speed, but as a frame of reference, the Z06is much more sure of itself and I am more comfortable and confident in the Z over 150. I was pleasantly surprised by the minimal effects of cross winds as well. I have only had the car a few months and plan on installing the ZR1 areo and bilstine's are on the way already as well as a 1/4-1/2 in drop. I can't wait to get her on the track later this year to test out the rest of the abilities

Living in Germany with a Corvette is awesome! Have you seen this red Z around Mannheim?

Quick Reply: [Z06] 160mph+ w/Stock Aero GS/Z06 ?