Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] APR splitter 50% off!!!!!must read!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 04:41 AM
FNQWK
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default APR splitter 50% off!!!!!must read!

this happend over a year ago, just cleaning out the garage and came across it. high speeds with no facia reinforcement & aftermarket splitter could become life threatning. sustaining a consistant high speed will do it. car is lowered and i guess it got caught on the pavement. not a sound you want to hear(for a split sec it sounded like a tire going)
after pulling over, the splitter gone and front bumper destroyed. alive to tell the story and warn others. would have got real nasty if my tire had got punctured by one of those screws
Old 06-21-2011, 06:14 AM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

That does not look like a fun experience.

Glad you came out okay.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:48 AM
letsrollmike
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

*Snaps out of staring at the Avatar pic* oh phew, glad you are ok man. I will probably stick with the stocker anyway.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:00 AM
TORQJNKY
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow! I thought the APR splitter had a bumper re-enforcement extension off the back molded into the splitter like the LG? Yours must have been pre-enforcement.
Attached Images  
Old 06-21-2011, 10:28 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by TORQJNKY
Wow! I thought the APR splitter had a bumper re-enforcement extension off the back molded into the splitter like the LG? Yours must have been pre-enforcement.

The picture you show has what is commonly called an "undertray". It is simply an aerodynamic feature. If it adds some small amount of stability to the front bumper/fascia, it's not enough to keep the splitter from pulling the fascia down and doing the damage that FNQWK experienced.

Here's a picture of the reinforcing piece that must be used on a Z06 or GS if you add a splitter:

That piece in the picture above is OE on the ZR1, and is added around the grill to keep the front end from deforming at speed like you can see in the picture of the smiley-faced Z06 below that does not have the reinforcing piece:

Here's a link to Poor-sha's great DIY info on installing the reinforcing piece:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...ll-how-to.html

If you install a splitter on a Z06 or GS, you really do need to put in the fascia reinforcement to avoid having the splitter deform the entire front fascia and allowing the damage like FNQWK had happen.

That undertray is simply an aerodynamic enhancement, and I don't think it will do what is required to keep the splitter from pulling down the front fascia at speed.

Bob
Old 06-21-2011, 11:04 AM
SG333
Racer

Catchy title.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:37 AM
icrashevos
Racer

Those pictures are insane. Looks like a flatter mazda 3 (happy face anyone?)
Old 06-21-2011, 01:22 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

FNQWK says his entire bumper/front fascia because he didn't have the reinforcing piece around the grill.

I was driving down the interstate in my ZR1 last year and hit a tire tread - the SUV in front of me just went right over it, and there were cars to the left and right of me, so no where to go!!!

It wiped out my splitter, but the fascia wasn't damaged at all, and I attribute that to the strength of the reinforcement. Here are a couple pics of the splitter and undamaged fascia:

So.....if you install a splitter on a Z06 or GS, I think it is advisable to also install the reinforcement!!

Bob

Get notified of new replies

To APR splitter 50% off!!!!!must read!

Quick Reply: [Z06] APR splitter 50% off!!!!!must read!