Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Battery Tender HookUp

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 04:04 PM
hiznhrz
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

Default Battery Tender HookUp

I bought a Battery Tender to maintain the battery in my Z06. This is the first car I've had where the battery is in the car. The Battery Tender comes with either alligator clips or ring terminals to attach to the battery. The ring terminal has a mechanical disconnect for when you are not charging to make it very easy to attach and disconnect the Battery Tender from the battery.

The first problem is as I was removing the nut holding the cars battery cables and dropped the darn thing; it is now under the battery. I can't get it with a magnetic pickup.

The second problem is now that I've removed the batter cables and hold-down strap, there isn't room for my hands (on either side of the battery) and to be able to lift the battery out of its compartment. Is there a strap or tool GM uses to attach to the battery and lift the battery out?

Also, there is a drain on the side of the battery with a rubber hose that I disconnected. If the battery is tilted to far, does battery acid leak out this port?

Last question, if I use a Battery Tender to maintain the battery in the car, do I need to keep windows open to ventilate the car?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:33 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

I suggest doing a "Search" on Battery Replacement. There has been a ton of threads on it.(How to get it out and in) There are also posts about how to connect a Battery Tender at the battery location

The hose is a vent to get gasses out of the car interior. Otherwise an explosion might happen with you in it. I don't think it will hurt if you tilt the battery.

I connect alligator clips under the hood as I always open it anyway after a run.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:28 PM
NJLS708
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hiznhrz
I bought a Battery Tender to maintain the battery in my Z06. This is the first car I've had where the battery is in the car. The Battery Tender comes with either alligator clips or ring terminals to attach to the battery. The ring terminal has a mechanical disconnect for when you are not charging to make it very easy to attach and disconnect the Battery Tender from the battery.

The first problem is as I was removing the nut holding the cars battery cables and dropped the darn thing; it is now under the battery. I can't get it with a magnetic pickup.

The second problem is now that I've removed the batter cables and hold-down strap, there isn't room for my hands (on either side of the battery) and to be able to lift the battery out of its compartment. Is there a strap or tool GM uses to attach to the battery and lift the battery out?

Also, there is a drain on the side of the battery with a rubber hose that I disconnected. If the battery is tilted to far, does battery acid leak out this port?

Last question, if I use a Battery Tender to maintain the battery in the car, do I need to keep windows open to ventilate the car?

Thanks in advance.
Let me help you out here and introduce you to the wonderful world of cigarette lights adapters for your tender.... You can thank me for it later...

http://www.autogeek.net/battery-tend...r-adapter.html
Old 11-06-2010, 06:28 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by NJLS708
Let me help you out here and introduce you to the wonderful world of cigarette lights adapters for your tender.... You can thank me for it later...

I had been using the alligator clips when I put the Tender on my C5, but now, with the Z06 and battery in the rear I did nto want to mess with routing wires all over, so I ordered the cig lighter adapter and will use that now. I will run the cable out the top of the window and leave the window cracked just a tad when I store it.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:19 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by hiznhrz

Thanks in advance.

The tips here will help you get the battery out. Get yourself some Gorilla Tape. The hose is a vent hose. It vents gasses outside the car. Do not disconnect it.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...with-pics.html

I have used both the clips, and the "permanent" hookup, described here.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...ry-tender.html

Though this is a base C6, the technique will work in a Z06 as well.

I crack the windows when I have the battery tender on, in case the hose alone is not enough to vent the gasses over a multiple mont period of the car sitting over fall and winter.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 11-06-2010 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:49 PM
arkus
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been using it for a year with no problems . I have it hooked up under the hood . The red clip goes to the red cable and black to a ground bolt .
There is a diagram in there showing you where the black negative bolt is .
Old 11-06-2010, 07:53 PM
got2hav1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,082 Likes on 599 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods)

Originally Posted by arkus
I've been using it for a year with no problems . I have it hooked up under the hood . The red clip goes to the red cable and black to a ground bolt .
There is a diagram in there showing you where the black negative bolt is .
I use this method as well.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:22 PM
NJLS708
Burning Brakes

There really is nothing easier than using the cigarette lighter adapter. You never have to pop the hood. Shut off car, plug in lighter... DONE!
Old 11-06-2010, 08:26 PM
hiznhrz
Drifting

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
I have used both the clips, and the "permanent" hookup, described here.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...ry-tender.html

I crack the windows when I have the battery tender on, in case the hose alone is not enough...
Thank you very much Quicksilver. I haven't had the car long enough to have bought a shop manual. Looks like buying a shop manual is a bit different for an 06 than for other years of the C6 Z06. I like the method shown in your link and in hindsight would have been better off trying this approach rather than the solution I initially tried. I also like the the cigarette lighter approach and will probably buy one.

As far as the search function. It's a great tool; I use it often. In fact, I've got hours into pouring through old posts to determine the way I want to approach preventing rock chips on my quarter and rocker panels. The bottom line is there are times when I just don't have the patience to search and read and read and search; other times, I just don't feel like it. I'll even bet I'm not alone...

Thanks again for the help.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:33 PM
spoon man
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

There really is nothing easier than using the cigarette lighter adapter. You never have to pop the hood. Shut off car, plug in lighter... DONE!
Hey Vito. I honestly don't know why anyone does it any differently. I see so many crazy methods and it makes my head spin. The only thing I can think of is if people have old school tenders so they choose to use them. my duracell cost me under 20 bucks

Frank, I am not sure what model you have but the cable on mine is so thin the door closes right over it. There is actually a tiny notch on the door sill as well which you might be able to use, but mine is so thin it isn't needed. (in case you don't feel like leaving the window cracked)
Old 11-06-2010, 09:44 PM
NJLS708
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by spoon man
Hey Vito. I honestly don't know why anyone does it any differently. I see so many crazy methods and it makes my head spin. The only thing I can think of is if people have old school tenders so they choose to use them. my duracell cost me under 20 bucks

Frank, I am not sure what model you have but the cable on mine is so thin the door closes right over it. There is actually a tiny notch on the door sill as well which you might be able to use, but mine is so thin it isn't needed. (in case you don't feel like leaving the window cracked)
Yeah, I slip mine through the gap of the door and the fender. It fits perfect. Don't even have to leave the window open. But I guess you're right. Some people are just used to doing it a certain way. Nothing wrong with that I guess.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:09 PM
REPZ06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by REPZ06
This is how I did it easy to hook up and no problems

1. positive connection 2. negative connection 3. secured with twist tie

[/QUOTE] This was easy to hook up and you don't have to mess with the battery. Its easy to plug in and unplug. If you don't want the cable draped across the car it can easily be sent up from under neath the car.

Last edited by REPZ06; 11-07-2010 at 05:15 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:34 AM
MiamiCowboy
Pro

Received 172 Likes on 74 Posts

I attached the leads to the jump station under the hood and ran the line to the front grill of the car. I secured the connector and weather cap to the upper left corner of the black grill with a zip tie. When I park the car in the garage I just connect the Battery Tender. It takes about 5 seconds to do. The battery is always on the tender and 100% anytime I use the car.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:48 PM
boogaZ
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the neg. connection on the frame the way your picture shows it ,ok. On the picture on the fusebox cover, it looks like it connected to motor. Does it matter where neg. ground on charger is connected ?
Old 11-08-2010, 10:01 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran

Originally Posted by spoon man

You are talking about the cable from the Cig lighter correct? I'll have to check that out had not even thought of routing it through there. I'd rather leave the windows shut actually. Thanks for the tip. I'll check that out tomorrow. Will work nice too when I get the car cover on.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:06 PM
NJLS708
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FrankTank
You are talking about the cable from the Cig lighter correct? I'll have to check that out had not even thought of routing it through there. I'd rather leave the windows shut actually. Thanks for the tip. I'll check that out tomorrow. Will work nice too when I get the car cover on.
Yes Frank, actually you can open the door a crack and run the cord between the fender and door. There is a spot where it fits perfect and you wont have to open the window at all. By far the easiest way to use a battery tender. One of the benefits of having a hot lighter outlet when the car is not running.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:10 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran

Yes Frank, actually you can open the door a crack and run the cord between the fender and door. There is a spot where it fits perfect and you wont have to open the window at all. By far the easiest way to use a battery tender. One of the benefits of having a hot lighter outlet when the car is not running.
Excellent, thanks I had thought about trying that, but was not too crazy about having the door closed crimping the wire, but if there is a small spot to route it through, I will find it and do that.

Get notified of new replies

To Battery Tender HookUp

Old 11-09-2010, 06:14 AM
hiznhrz
Drifting

BTW, thanks!
Old 11-09-2010, 04:06 PM
Kurac
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by REPZ06
This was easy to hook up and you don't have to mess with the battery. Its easy to plug in and unplug. If you don't want the cable draped across the car it can easily be sent up from under neath the car.[/QUOTE]

This is how I did mine as well.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:04 PM
Dizz
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Easiest way to do it.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Battery Tender HookUp