Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Should I Replace the Valves now? 20K on the clock

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 04:19 PM
Sinister04L
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Myhardtop
How much lift?

Have to ask because....

Thanks,
Carlos
Say, to accommodate your QM600 cam?
Old 05-27-2010, 06:40 PM
z06king
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxx Schlick
With some cars having valve failures resulting in exploded engines, I'm wondering if it is a good idea to replace my valves and springs as preventitive maintence.

My car is a 06 with 20,000 miles. The engine is stock except for the big Lingefelted Oil tank and an Aviad oil pan baffle.

It has Never been over reved, but it has seen thousands of red line shifts and done more track laps and drag strip passes than I can count.

If I were to replace the valves and springs, what are the the best parts to use?

Who would be the best Company to send my heads to?

Thanx in advance for any and all opinions.
I had mine upgraded over the winter. It was a stock '06 (built Oct '05) with almost 16k miles. I rarely get the RPMs over 5k, but a lot of the miles are on spirited drives through the canyon. I got new SS valves, rockers, dual springs, ti retainers, steel spring bases, seals, valve locks, Serdi -Multi- Angle valve job (all seat & valve work, includes bowl blending), and Dis-assemble, clean & re-assemble heads.

My car is out of warranty and I want to keep it around for many more miles and years, so I figure the relatively little money now was worth the peace of mind that I want with this car.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:55 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

^why didn't you put on new valve guides? or were they ok?
Old 05-27-2010, 10:52 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by EViL427
I guess they're not the hollow stem. They're listed under "Super Alloy".

CHEVROLET SMALL BLOCK - LS7
Part # / Type
/ Head Dia. / Stem Dia. / Overall Length / Tip Length / References

F1598P / E / 1.615 / 0.313 / 5.227 /.180 / 15º Flo.Rad.Grov.Sup.Alloy.Turbo Application
F1597P / E / 1.615 / 0.313 / 5.227 / .180 / 24º Flo.Rad.Grov.Sup.Alloy.Turbo Application
Ferrea doesn't make a hollow stem exhaust valve for the LS7, they only have the SuperAlloy valves for the LS7. However they will make what ever you want as a custom valve, but its going to cost you. The Super Alloy valves are about the best valve you can buy, it won't break. But its considerably heavier than stock, so a good valve spring is needed.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:02 PM
z06king
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mirage2991
I don't know the answer to your question. I'm not a mechanic and I won't pretend to be an expert on the exhaust valve issue. I talked to 3-4 knowledgable people about the issue and decided to have the heads shipped to Charlie and Keith at RPM Motors. The work I had done was what they recommended.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:26 AM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Originally Posted by z06king
I don't know the answer to your question. I'm not a mechanic and I won't pretend to be an expert on the exhaust valve issue. I talked to 3-4 knowledgable people about the issue and decided to have the heads shipped to Charlie and Keith at RPM Motors. The work I had done was what they recommended.
So it's safe to say your heads where just fine at 20k. It's to bad they didn't give you a "report card" on your parts.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:49 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,706 Likes on 1,087 Posts

I thought the current working theory was that the guides were not the problem, but excess heat transfer from the sodium filled valves was causing excessive premature wear in some cases.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...-begins-3.html
Old 05-28-2010, 09:52 AM
niphilli2
Drifting

Received 151 Likes on 101 Posts

Default Is this really necessary?

Is the problem really any deeper than the valve spring itself? Have we seen failures where the spring is intact and the valve stem brakes?

I am very interested, thinking of going from a C5Z which I love to a C6Z next year. We have had issues with valve springs breaking (to be expected with an aggressive camshaft), but I belive that is the extent of the problem in the C5.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:54 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by niphilli2
Is the problem really any deeper than the valve spring itself? Have we seen failures where the spring is intact and the valve stem brakes?

I am very interested, thinking of going from a C5Z which I love to a C6Z next year. We have had issues with valve springs breaking (to be expected with an aggressive camshaft), but I belive that is the extent of the problem in the C5.
Read the thread I linked above. IMHO, yes, it's necessary.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:50 AM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Originally Posted by EViL427
I thought the current working theory was that the guides were not the problem, but excess heat transfer from the sodium filled valves was causing excessive premature wear in some cases.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...-begins-3.html
there is one (maybe more) builder on this forum that uses those sodium filled valve in his race car with no problem.
Even then, if the guides are fine, then there isn't a problem of heat transfer, or at least it isn't related to mileage or daily usage. Which then, if it is related with racing, there's a whole lot more questions that needs to be answered, such as if the correct grade of oil was used, if it is related to oil starvation issues, was it tuned to lean etc etc...

then reading your link, and seing a set of head being worked yet no guides are changed begs to wornder...because in your link he said the valves were fine, the guides were not...might as well be flindfolded and start shooting in hope to hit a target...

Last edited by mirage2991; 05-28-2010 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:04 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Sinister04L
Say, to accommodate your QM600 cam?
Yes, the replacement springs will handle lifts of all of our cams (except Lucifer and Hell-Maker). You must specify otherwise.

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 05-28-2010, 02:34 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

there is one (maybe more) builder on this forum that uses those sodium filled valve in his race car with no problem.
Even then, if the guides are fine, then there isn't a problem of heat transfer, or at least it isn't related to mileage or daily usage. Which then, if it is related with racing, there's a whole lot more questions that needs to be answered, such as if the correct grade of oil was used, if it is related to oil starvation issues, was it tuned to lean etc etc...

then reading your link, and seing a set of head being worked yet no guides are changed begs to wornder...because in your link he said the valves were fine, the guides were not...might as well be flindfolded and start shooting in hope to hit a target...
I know there's a lot to read, but this is the key piece of data driving my decision:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1574098856-post94.html

Originally Posted by Richard@WCCH
Given the same conditions, the bronze guides will wear as well. The size of the small heat path must be increased. With a solid stem valve heat is allowed to travel further up the length of the stem. It provides a larger flow path for heat dissipation.

The primary heat path is through the valve seat. The secondary heat path is through the valve guide. Lean stoic. conditions at cruising speeds generate lots of heat on the exhaust valves with unleaded fuels. The heat bakes the small amounts of oil that makes it to the lower portion of the exhaust guide. Once the lubrication is gone there is metal to metal contact and on a molecular level electron sharing occurs. The steel molecules of the exhaust valve stem have a greater resistance to wear. The powdered metal guides have mixture of wear resisting alloys along with lubricious properties pressed into the matrix. You don't have to beat on the engine to experience valve guide wear.

The primary reason we use bronze valve guides is because GM will not sell the guides separately. Rather they will sell you an entire replacement head. The aftermarket parts supply only furnishes bronze alloy valve guides. I personally like the powdered metal valve guides the factory uses but the supplier does not sell piece meal to the public. Additionally we have no long term wear issues with the bronze guides and solid stem stainless steel valves.

In the last decade GM has done a masterful job improving both metallurgy and rocker arm geometry to reduce overall valve guide wear. Rocker arm designs are also superbly executed. The issues seem to only be related to the sodium valves.

Hope this helps.

Richard

Last edited by VetteVinnie; 05-28-2010 at 02:39 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:30 PM
niphilli2
Drifting

Received 151 Likes on 101 Posts

Interesting... Sodium filled exhaust valves have been around in the Z06 since '01 (I think, possibly '02). This is the first I have heard of this type of issue, but I am by no means 'in the know'.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:04 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Originally Posted by niphilli2
Interesting... Sodium filled exhaust valves have been around in the Z06 since '01 (I think, possibly '02). This is the first I have heard of this type of issue, but I am by no means 'in the know'.
I believe it was 2002. They were also on the LT4, and GM SBC fast burn heads.
They are also used on most Turbo applications.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:22 PM
racezx9
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Myhardtop
I've seen many cases where some guides are just plain beat up. In the case of my ride, two of my guides were looking very iffy

I do drive hard so

On the flip side, I've seen less than 5K miles "grocery-getters" drop a valve. It's 50/50 amigos, it really is. You can get lucky and drive for 100k miles and not have any issues. Or, hope for the best but if not, then let’s hope the damage is minimal.

Best/worst case, busted valve and perhaps a guide or two, seats and that's that. Worse/worse case: busted valve, jagged up piston, and cracked sleeve, chewed up CC…bye bye head and perhaps a new short block. No scare tactics, just the plain truth. Look around you!!!!

I replaced my exh valves with one piece SS units, new guides, new springs kit and I'm never looking back

Thanks,
Carlos

Hmmm sounds like FUD to get business to me. GM does have a warrenty on the engine for 100K.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:31 PM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,373 Likes on 793 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

and sometimes it doesn't pay even when everything is stock
Old 05-28-2010, 06:48 PM
kentz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

You should be more concerned about the cast pistons than the exhaust valves...

Get notified of new replies

To Should I Replace the Valves now? 20K on the clock

Old 05-28-2010, 06:52 PM
LGR
Racer

I would do new springs right away.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:39 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by LGR
I would do new springs right away.
What's the best replacement valve spring to use on a stock LS7 engine, what is the replacment upgrade that most use w/out comprising and overtaxing the nice light weight valve train on our LS7 engines?

I know from past experieince you don't want to use to heavy of a valve spring and want a replacment spring be similar to the charateristics of the stock springs to keep the lightweight valve train in tact, etc.

What valve spring accomplishes this (or do most with stock LS7 engines just replace with stock LS7 springs (or is their a single valve spring that is more durable that still is extremely compatible with the lightweight features of the LS7 valvetrain?
Old 05-29-2010, 07:46 AM
C5 Frank
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

just trade the car in...it's time.

lol
LOL

To OP... Seriously... you have 20k hard miles and you want to rebuild the top end?? To me that seems excessive. I understand that there have been some members that have had issues. But the C6 Z06 has had it's share of batch issues since day one. My car ( late '06 Z) had a bad intake valvespring.... yes it broke at 14k and I was lucky enough to shut the car down before any collateral damage occurred. There was the bad rockers in '07 bad trannies in '08 and I feel the valves could be just that... a few bad ones. I understand the paranoia that can hit when we read the posts of broken valves...
But how is replacing a light weight sodium filled valve with a one piece heavy valve going to wear over time. That could be even worse then the stock valves over time. I am not sure what the answer is, but if it makes you feel better... spend the money for the peice of mind. But IMO if you are seriously worried about it... maybe it is time for a different car!!!

Quick Reply: [Z06] Should I Replace the Valves now? 20K on the clock