Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] The teardown begins

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 07:28 PM
hoefi
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Painrace
Once the valve stem is bent wear starts to occur and the valve starts turning causing more wear. Parts get into the oil and around the other valves causing valve guide wear. The rocker arm will also be slightly off once the stem is bent, hence, bad geometry. It is just a guess on my part. It could have all happened before you owned the car.

Jim
In my case, at 11,000 miles, two exhaust guides were way out of spec. The failed cylinder had a guide that was 400% of the wear limit set by GM. The second guide was 200% over the limit. I sent the good valve out to check for run out and crack testing, both came out negative. The valve was perfect, but the exhaust guides were way out. All the rest of the exhaust guides were within limit, but just barely. Intake guides are averaging about .001" tighter than the exhausts'. There is no way an ower, or driver, can induce this kind of selective wear in two guides out of sixteen.

The hollow exhaust valve stem is very thin walled. I am guessing around 0.050" wall thickness or possibly less (couldn't measure mine because the end was all bashed up). If the valve was bent hitting the piston, it would form a very localized sharp kink at the bottom of the guide (this is where maximum bending moment occurs). One would think the breakage (immediately or eventually) would take place at this localized kink. However, my valve broke at the junction where the solid head connects to the hollow stem. I think OP's mode of failure is very similar. When an intake valve bends, it is quite different. Because the intake stem is solid, the bend radius is much larger and there is no localized kink. I observed these in my failed motor.

I won't be surprised that some owners who were experiencing high oil consumption (we had some reporting that) had worn guides also. I am also pretty certain that my engine, as well as some others, that had dropped valves were caused by the worn guides. I know a lot of the GM fanboys here are quick to accuse the drivers missing a shift everytime when a valve dropped.

Last edited by hoefi; 05-04-2010 at 07:36 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:32 PM
hoefi
Racer

Originally Posted by BgBoost1
No such thing as a dumb question. From what I can tell the guides are identical when compared Intake and Exhaust. The specs for clearance is different between the exhaust and intake, but that is normal with almost any engine.
I believe the guide to stem clearance is the same for intake and exhaust. The stem diameter is also the same. Wear limit is also the same.

I have studied the specs many many times lately.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:54 PM
hoefi
Racer

Originally Posted by obzidian
Well,

1. I would think so to begin with but if parts were used that maybe to close to their limit in a ls7 with a higher rpm range than ANY other LS motor in stock trim then maybe, you might be on to something there. However, the question would be, if the guides are the culprit, can they repeatedly handle the LS7's rpm limit.

2. Well, the LS7 is the ONLY LSx motor with 1.8 rockers from factory. As for the cam profile, IMO, no way. The LS7 cam is by no means a big cam so I wouldn't think it is aggressive enough to take out a guide, guide, etc.
I believe GM should have used roller tipped rockers. I also believe GM knows about the potential problem but refused to act on it. It's alway a matter of how many percent of the owners will push the motor hard enough to cause failure or premature wear. If GM is convinced that the percentage is not high enough, they will accept the cheaper detail. The front brake heat melting the ball joint boots is a classic example. I can not believe GM doesn't know that problem either. An engine like the LS7 would have had thousands of engine dyno hours on it. Under full load, full RPM test runs, GM would have known the guides would wear. They (not necessary their engineering department) just chose to believe that most owners would not run their engines hard enough to justify a proper, but more expensive, solution.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:45 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 395 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by KLLRVET
I bought the car with 11,600 miles on it. It had mobil 1 (and I can only assume that it always had Mobile One), and I have since switched to Amsoil 5/30.

Tony
Do you attribute any of the wear to your oil selection, or just to the quality of materials/engineering used in the valve train?
Old 05-04-2010, 08:50 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

1) rocker ratio is changed on the side of the pushrod, and not the valve, so there would not be a geometry problem, unless the pushrod length is wrong, but, I would highly doubt that. You would have to test it on the valve and see where the rocker tip is on, but even a little off isn't going to give you 400% wear over normal

2) in regards to GM not choosing a better guide, that has nothing to do with the wear. If the guides we have in our heads are properly located, they aren't going to wear 400% over the normal wear. In addition, fixing an improper guide installation, at the time of the engine development is a mater of changing the data entered in the machine that instals the guides in the head, or the CNC that is drilling the guide's hole in the head. Again, there's no cost of doing that

I would think this problem is either related to:
a) QC on the head, meaning, the intended valve guide location is correct, but, due to machinery tolerances it is actually off
b) QC at the guide level: the supplier of them may have had a bad batch unknown to him, a bad batch that would wear faster, yet be installed in the head correctly
Old 05-04-2010, 09:21 PM
KLLRVET
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Pretty sad, Ford had an issue with the Mustang, and here is what they did:

1999 Mustang Cobra Horsepower Snafu
The 1999 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra came with impressive innovations to please Mustang fans and car experts alike. However, all was not right with the Cobra.

Motor Trend noted that despite smaller tires and a solid axle, the GT's slalom and skidpad numbers were surprisingly close "at 66.8 mph and 0.86g, respectively [vs.] 67.8 mph and 0.88g. Viewed in this way, the SVT super pony seems hardly worth the extra $7000" -- a starting tab of $27,470 for the coupe, $31,470 for the ragtop.

Car and Driver praised the IRS for erasing 125 pounds of unsprung weight, even though it was 80 pounds heavier than the solid-axle assembly. On the other hand, curb weight was down by a worthwhile 110 pounds, and it was split more evenly front to rear. With that, C/D's Barry Winfield judged the '99 Cobra "more supple and thus more readable in corners. The rear end is less susceptible to bump-steer…off-center steering response is better, and [the] handling is more neutral at the limit."

Cobra's twincam V-8 claimed 320 horses for '99, but manufacturing glitches
forced a recall to liberate the whole herd.

But straightline performance was a puzzle. "We expected to hit 60 mph in about five seconds flat," Winfield said, "but 5.5 was the best we could do -- 0.1-second slower than the previous model. Top speed was also down, from 153 to 149 mph...all of which confirms that our low-mileage prototype test car wasn't making a full head of steam."

Sure enough, a manufacturing glitch had left Cobra intake runners and some exhaust components with internal aluminum residue or "flash" that upset air flow and kept more than 30 horses from showing up.

After fielding a few dozen owner complaints, mostly from drag racers, Ford recalled all 1999 SVT Cobras on the ground to replace the manifold or ream out the existing one. Ford also charged nothing to replace mufflers (found to be too restrictive), recalibrate the engine computer, and substitute a more durable accessory-belt tensioner. A decal was affixed in the engine bay to certify the work once it was done.

The manufacturing glitches that forced Ford to recall '99 Cobras was a major
setback for the Special Vehicle Team, which would wait until 2001 to release
another SVT Cobra model.

Though Cobra owners didn't seem to mind the recall or its inconvenience, the episode was a black eye for Ford and SVT, enough that they decided not to do a 2000 Cobra. As the SVT website advised at the time, fixing the '99s had top priority.

"Rather than rushing to produce a limited number of 2000 models -- and risking production/manufacturing issues by hurrying -- we're choosing to focus our efforts on the timely production of the ['01 versions]."

Cobra sales were also down but not mortally wounded by the AWOL-horsepower flap, and Cobra convertibles outsold coupes for the first time (4055 vs. 4040 units).
Old 05-04-2010, 09:27 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

There's always another thing: cars dropping valve may have been racing road course events with the wrong oil, and the top end would probably be the first thing to show sign of accelerated wear (higher exh temps, with to thin of an oil).
What's the possibilities of that?
Old 05-04-2010, 09:43 PM
KLLRVET
Safety Car

I was using oil that meets or exceeds GM specs
Old 05-04-2010, 09:44 PM
KLLRVET
Safety Car

Originally Posted by NORTY
Do you attribute any of the wear to your oil selection, or just to the quality of materials/engineering used in the valve train?
If it were the quality of oil, dont you think there would be wear in to the intake guides too?
Old 05-04-2010, 09:54 PM
BlaznZ06
Race Director

Received 756 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by KLLRVET
I was using oil that meets or exceeds GM specs
According to some on this forum you modified your car when you went with Amsoil.

I agree with you. My stock '06 motor blew with Amsoil in it and GM replaced the engine. The oil wasn't the problem.

There is a mild defect in the design.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:00 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by mirage2991
I would think this problem is either related to:
a) QC on the head, meaning, the intended valve guide location is correct, but, due to machinery tolerances it is actually off
b) QC at the guide level: the supplier of them may have had a bad batch unknown to him, a bad batch that would wear faster, yet be installed in the head correctly
This is true. Your engine looks a lot like a Gen 1 small block 383 I had that popped on me. It turned out to be a piston ring clearance issue. I know these are different engines, but still a pushrod motor that was high revving with a high lift cam just like the LS7, therefore it could have been anything. I'm not saying one should rule out the weak valve possiblity, but don't rule out anything else.

Sorry about your misfortune and keep us updated.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:04 PM
1.8t
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Can any other vendors comment on the guide issue?
Old 05-05-2010, 05:12 PM
BgBoost1
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hoefi
I believe the guide to stem clearance is the same for intake and exhaust. The stem diameter is also the same. Wear limit is also the same.

I have studied the specs many many times lately.
I am not trying to start a war here just trying to further my knowledge.

So you are saying that in your experience and studies you have found that the Valve Guide to Valve Tolerance (Service Range) issued by GM is the same on the Ti Intake valve with Cold Fuel and air running over it, as the Sodium Filled 2pc Exhaust Valve that is operating at a much much higher temperature?
Old 05-05-2010, 09:34 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by hoefi
In my case, at 11,000 miles, two exhaust guides were way out of spec. The failed cylinder had a guide that was 400% of the wear limit set by GM. The second guide was 200% over the limit. I sent the good valve out to check for run out and crack testing, both came out negative. The valve was perfect, but the exhaust guides were way out. All the rest of the exhaust guides were within limit, but just barely. Intake guides are averaging about .001" tighter than the exhausts'. There is no way an ower, or driver, can induce this kind of selective wear in two guides out of sixteen.

The hollow exhaust valve stem is very thin walled. I am guessing around 0.050" wall thickness or possibly less (couldn't measure mine because the end was all bashed up). If the valve was bent hitting the piston, it would form a very localized sharp kink at the bottom of the guide (this is where maximum bending moment occurs). One would think the breakage (immediately or eventually) would take place at this localized kink. However, my valve broke at the junction where the solid head connects to the hollow stem. I think OP's mode of failure is very similar. When an intake valve bends, it is quite different. Because the intake stem is solid, the bend radius is much larger and there is no localized kink. I observed these in my failed motor.

I won't be surprised that some owners who were experiencing high oil consumption (we had some reporting that) had worn guides also. I am also pretty certain that my engine, as well as some others, that had dropped valves were caused by the worn guides. I know a lot of the GM fanboys here are quick to accuse the drivers missing a shift everytime when a valve dropped.
I don't find anything in your post that I disagree with. Worn guides, for any reason, will cause valve failures eventually. I have seen race engines where the valves were so lose it was all but impossible to figure out why they did not fail yet the motor ran fine and was just down for a rebuild. Taping the valves will also cause guide wear. We will probably never know.

Jim
Old 05-05-2010, 09:58 PM
KLLRVET
Safety Car

I spoke to a local dealer today, and their service manager told me they are aware of a valve guide wear issue. They do keep it somewhat guarded, but the problem is known.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:29 PM
hoefi
Racer

Originally Posted by BgBoost1
I am not trying to start a war here just trying to further my knowledge.

So you are saying that in your experience and studies you have found that the Valve Guide to Valve Tolerance (Service Range) issued by GM is the same on the Ti Intake valve with Cold Fuel and air running over it, as the Sodium Filled 2pc Exhaust Valve that is operating at a much much higher temperature?
Yes, that is correct. GM specified the same service limit for both the intake and exhaust stem to guide clearance. The following numbers are listed in their factory shop manual (page 9-1102, in volume 2 of 3):

1) Valve stem diameter (intake and exhaust) = 0.313-0.314"
2) Stem to guide clearance (production), intake = 0.001-0.0024"
3) Stem to guide clearance (production), exhaust = 0.001-0.0026"
4) Stem to guide clearance (service), intake & exhaust = 0.0037"
Old 05-06-2010, 08:57 AM
1.8t
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Gentlemen,

I think we are starting to see a pattern here. I sent Richard @ WCCH(http://www.proheads.com) a PM over on LS1tech asking about the LS7 exhaust valve guide issue. They offer a stainless steel upgrade for LS7 heads and are a extremely well respected/knowledgable vendor, seeing more LSX heads than any of us could shake a stick at. They are also the vendor that Jason from Katech used to port his LS7 heads in his latest round of modifications.

Below are his comments:

Originally Posted by Richard@WCCH
Hello Michael,
We have definitely seen excessive wear in some LS7 exhaust guides. Mostly coming from engines with over 30k on the clock. We have seen some heads show inconsistent wear requiring only one or two guides needing replacement. It appears that the sodium exhaut valves are transmitting an excessive amount of heat from the stem to the guide. In some cases the oil is BBQ'd in the guide and the lack of lubrication and cooling from the oil causes the excessive wear (mostly in the lower half of the exhaut guide). We've measured some guides as having over .004" of wear in the lower 1" of exhaust guide length. Porsche 911's suffer the same type of related guide wear on the exhaust side.
The next item to note regarding the sodium exhaust valves relates to the wall thickness of the sodium exhaust valve stem. It's only .040" thick and makes for a fragile exhaust valve. GM uses a good quality steel material but the design spec. renders the valves brittle at the neck. Hence the reason we choose the replace the factory units with stainless or inconel. The exhaust valves we use are manufactured with a .001" oversized stem size which allows us to hone the exhaust guides and remove most or all of the taper in the bore. In cases with excessive wear we replace the guides with bronze.

I can't comment on weather the excessive guide wear is causing the valves to rattle around in the guide on on the seat causing the head failures. It may be due to excessive heat buildup from the restricted heat flow path to the guide. As I mentioned before, there's only 1mm of wall thickness at the valve neck. Not a good situation in engines producing high specific horespower. The stainless exhaust valves don't show the rapid wear that the sodium valves have.

Hope this helps Michael.

Best regards,

Richard

Get notified of new replies

To The teardown begins

Old 05-06-2010, 09:57 AM
obzidian
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Great find.

You think you can ask him if one was to leave the Na filled valves and ONLY replace the guides to bronze, would that by itself help in slowing down or eliminating the guide wear (due to heat, potentially) and extending the life of the valvetrain while using the sodium filled valves?

thanks.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:08 AM
360jeepboy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is indeed a great find!! It is good to see some respectable shops noting the same problems we see!

That is the type of theory I like to see! One that doesn't just blame driver error!
Old 05-06-2010, 03:24 PM
hoefi
Racer

Originally Posted by 1.8t

Below are his comments:

"...(mostly in the lower half of the exhaut guide). We've measured some guides as having over .004" of wear in the lower 1" of exhaust guide length....

Exactly what I observed in my failed engine. Signs of material transfer on the valve stems (both the broken one and the good one) were mainly located in the lower 1" portion. Even GM's own outside engineer reported this observation on the broken valve stem, but he said it was not an indication of anything serious. Didn't even bother to check the guide to see how severe was the wear inside the bore.

Once the clearance gets beyond a few thou, the ability to transfer heat goes down substantially, then the problem just feeds itself.

Quick Reply: [Z06] The teardown begins