Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] BLACK 2007 Corvette Z06 detail (clay/polish/wax) PIC INTENSIVE

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 03:47 PM
MarkRx
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
Wow thats amazing, but I gotta ask, how did you let your paint get that way to begin with?
that's not too bad actually for a black car. this is why it takes a man to own black
Old 03-07-2010, 04:03 PM
bigwoolyg
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 32 Posts

Great job! I am waiting for the stars to align (good weather and no family plans on a weekend) so I can polish mine. I got a Flex/Wolfgang kit from autogeek. hoping mine comes out as nice as yours did! (have a trial car to perfect the technique on, so I can be sure... no it's not Corvette paint, but still..)
Old 03-07-2010, 04:44 PM
0Adam at RSI
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Bravo!
Old 03-07-2010, 05:10 PM
intheboost
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkRx
that's not too bad actually for a black car.
Agreed. The before pics I took were in the worst possible lighting - halogen and some flourescent. After the car was washed it did not look that bad, and the scratches on the left rear quarter were not that noticeable. However, it was annoying to me. But it looked okay before the detail, and great for a car that is almost three years old. I have seen many black cars three years old or less that look 10 times worse.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:13 PM
intheboost
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MarkRx
Yup, PO83Q is nothing more than SIP. it's confusing now. I still have the old bottle that says Intensive Polish and there's a yellow sticker placed on the bottle that says SUPER lol.

I've been a fan of SIP and 106FA, and if you want to go the extra mile PO85RD.

Cut level:

PO85Q (SIP) 3.8 - orange LC pad
106FA (replaced 106FF) 2.5 - green/white pad
PO85RD 1.0 grey pad

I want to try the blackfire wet ice over fire kit this summer.
The Intensive Polish and Super Intensive Polish names also confuse me. They also changed numbers for the same product after that product was out for a year or two. My first Menzerna purchase was online, and I wanted Super Intensive Polish, and got a completely different product. They need to just pick a number and stick with it!
Old 03-07-2010, 06:48 PM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Received 440 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by intheboost
I ended up spending around 8 hours on this detail (I did the interior a few days prior, so no before/after pics). The whole process ended up going a lot faster than I anticipated, and I took my time. My plan for the detail was to address most of the marring, address some deeper scratches, remove all the water spots, apply some sealant, and then a wax. I wasn't going for 100% correction. With the hard Corvette paint, I will need some more products for a 95% - 100% correction, but I am happy with the results from the Porter Cable. I still have more to do, like remove wheels and clean calipers and inside of the wheels. There are also some areas I want to use a more aggressive pad/polish combo for deeper scratches.

Process:

Wash w/Meguairs Gold Class
Clay bar with ONR as clay lube
Porter Cable
Meguiar's burgandy and yellow pads
PO85RD 3.02
PO106 FF
Poorboys EX-P
Chemical Guys 50/50
Wheels polished w/PO85RD, then 106FF
FK1 1000P on wheels
Mother mag wheel polish on exhaust
303 Aerospace on interior and black trim
Very nice job...it really helps to claybar to get rid of all of the foreign objects in the paint. I did it once and it pays off. Nice to see somebody doing their own work and getting great results.

My wife has an 06 black Lexus and it is showing all of the signs of your before shots....not looking forward to doing it...might be easier to trade it it. lol.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:08 PM
intheboost
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Shinobi'sZ
My wife has an 06 black Lexus and it is showing all of the signs of your before shots....not looking forward to doing it...might be easier to trade it it. lol.
I hear you. It was like when my wife came home and said "there is something on my car"...... lol

Here is the writeup:

http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/...erspray-vs.htm
Old 03-08-2010, 08:37 AM
Lucifer13
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Absolutely beautiful! Nice to see the Z in the hands of someone who knows how to take care of it now
Old 03-09-2010, 12:46 AM
BuckeyeVette427
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water spots (please help)

intheboost, I see you successfully took out some pretty nasty water spots, I've been trying to get some off my car for a while now.

I've worked up enough courage to give it another try, i did some research a while back on this forum and read that stripping down any wax thats on the car with dishwasher soap and scrubbing the water spots with watered down CLR (the stuff that removes Calcuim Lime and Rust) does the trick. It is said to strip the minerals imbedded in the clear coat that causes water spots. Funny I actually bought the stuff today and was going to try it next week but let me ask your advise first?

I used Menzerna Intensive Polish and Final Polish in the fall but it slipt my mind to strip the wax (Rejex) first. Do you think thats why the water spots didnt come out and I should strip the wax and go with the Super Intensive Polish? Or should I try the CLR? Sorry for the ramble, and thanks for your help.

Dan
Old 03-09-2010, 08:24 AM
AlBinVA
Advanced

Default What product did you use for the swirls?

It appears they are gone or covered well.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:03 PM
intheboost
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BuckeyeVette427
intheboost, I see you successfully took out some pretty nasty water spots, I've been trying to get some off my car for a while now.

I've worked up enough courage to give it another try, i did some research a while back on this forum and read that stripping down any wax thats on the car with dishwasher soap and scrubbing the water spots with watered down CLR (the stuff that removes Calcuim Lime and Rust) does the trick. It is said to strip the minerals imbedded in the clear coat that causes water spots. Funny I actually bought the stuff today and was going to try it next week but let me ask your advise first?

I used Menzerna Intensive Polish and Final Polish in the fall but it slipt my mind to strip the wax (Rejex) first. Do you think thats why the water spots didnt come out and I should strip the wax and go with the Super Intensive Polish? Or should I try the CLR? Sorry for the ramble, and thanks for your help.

Dan
I don't have any experience with the CLR on an automotive finish-I wouldn't recommend it just because I have never used it. I have heard of using a 50/50 mix of vinegar/distilled water and people have some good luck with that.

The problem with the water spots on my car was that the outline of the spot etched the clear coat. The spot was more or less removed with the claybar. The etching hung around though. If you have etching, then I think a PC or equivalent would work just fine with Meguiars M105 which I have recently fell in love with. Good luck either way!

Originally Posted by AlBinVA
It appears they are gone or covered well.
You are correct, as it turns out apparently they were covered well! The Menzerna product I used took care of everything at the time of the detail. After a few months the same exact water spot etching marks came back! I just noticed this a few weeks ago and I could not believe it because everyone I talk to that uses Menzerna says there are no filling properties. After this experience I am now skeptical. I am now off the Menzerna train, and just recently tried out Meguiars M105 and absolutely love it as an aggressive polish. Last week I used the PC with the Meguiars burgundy pad and M105 and the etching was again taken care of. This time I did a 50/50 IPA wipedown to check for filling. After the wipedown the spots were still nowhere to be seen. Time will tell if these spots decide to come back again! I don't think I will ever use the SIP by Menzerna again. I still do like their final polishes however.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:05 PM
PureSwank
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks good brother
Old 12-23-2012, 12:19 AM
ord22
Advanced

Nice job!
Old 12-23-2012, 12:58 AM
Qmax03
Advanced

Wow, looks stunning, Great Job !
Old 12-23-2012, 08:21 PM
eurotrashkicker
Racer

That makes my back hurt.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:16 PM
intheboost
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by eurotrashkicker
That makes my back hurt.
Yea, and this was on a VERY low mile '07.

I don't even know how many hours I have in the detail of the '09 I just bought, with many more to come:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-progress.html
Old 12-23-2012, 11:22 PM
Try666Me
Instructor

Will you be posting up a write up over on DB? looks good! BTW im SDMDChris over on db!

Get notified of new replies

To BLACK 2007 Corvette Z06 detail (clay/polish/wax) PIC INTENSIVE

Old 12-23-2012, 11:46 PM
intheboost
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Try666Me
Will you be posting up a write up over on DB? looks good! BTW im SDMDChris over on db!
Yes, I probably will. Won't be completely done until after the 1st of the year. Still working on the trim, and need to pull the wheels and do the wheel wells, brakes, and inside of wheels.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:05 AM
VCUFAN
Burning Brakes

Wow, great job! Looks amazing.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:09 AM
VettesintheRockies
Pro

Question....I have a '08 Z...with a lot of road rash on the fender walls
and front end ...In the begining picture they showed up on your Z.... finished pictures there gone......So bad on my Z I'm thinking of repainting..... Your Z looks great....where did the rock rash go, or is it still there under the wax?.......

Quick Reply: [Z06] BLACK 2007 Corvette Z06 detail (clay/polish/wax) PIC INTENSIVE