Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Taking Z to Sebring for the first time...

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 10:28 PM
JBauer47
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Taking Z to Sebring for the first time...

Any advice? Should I take the left handers slow? This is my first HPDE and I want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row...First time the Z will be on a real track...Can't wait

mc
Old 08-26-2009, 10:49 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by JBauer47
Any advice? Should I take the left handers slow? This is my first HPDE and I want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row...First time the Z will be on a real track...Can't wait

mc
Don't worry about the left handers!!!

The common wisdom, however, is to run the C6Z oil below the center dots on the dipstick - i.e., about 1/3 of the way from the bottom of the crosshatched area.

Below is a video of my C6Z at Sebring in April. I usually run HPDEs on my Hoosiers, but I drove down in the morning and back that afternoon, and just ran the track on my street tires.

There's a friction circle to the left of the tach on the dashboard overlay on the top of the video. Between the friction circle and the tach is a number that displays the G-load. On street tires it's difficult to sustain very much more than 1.0 G for any period of time, so you won't get close to the area where you might get oil pressure spikes that Dreamin has identified in his posts (I think the critical spec is >1.0G for >4 seconds). Even on R-compounds you wouldn't have to worry about it at Sebring.

After the Sebring event, you need to start thinking about coming to Daytona for one of the HPDEs this fall!!!

Bob

Old 08-26-2009, 11:03 PM
JBauer47
Pro

Nice... what street tires are those... I have 9000 mi on my original GY. I think this event will be their last hurrah

mc
Old 08-27-2009, 12:19 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Nice... what street tires are those... I have 9000 mi on my original GY. I think this event will be their last hurrah

mc
That was a set of Michelin PS ZPs (Pilot Sport Zero Pressures), a runflat tire (not the PS2, just the PS). I've driven the OE Goodyears on the track and I think both are very similar - and both are very good tires, despite the bashing the Goodyears get here on the forum.

You'll have a lot of fun at Sebring, and like I said before, you really need to consider coming over to Daytona. Here's a link to a thread with info about the 3-day Audi HPDE in Dec, and scroll down a ways to find a post with info about the 2-day PBOC HPDE in Oct:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...with-audi.html

Forum member Jim Dillon ("JD") will be instructing at Sebring this weekend, so be sure to look him up and say "Hi"!! Also, check out his fantastic Katech DSOM Z06.

Bob
Old 08-27-2009, 12:29 AM
nzk
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

u guys in florida are lucky, some real tracks within driving distance. texas has some wannabe tracks, nothing like sebring and moroso.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:41 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by nzk
u guys in florida are lucky, some real tracks within driving distance. texas has some wannabe tracks, nothing like sebring and moroso.
South Dakota is even worse!
Old 08-27-2009, 09:54 AM
JBauer47
Pro

Us Florida guys are lucky...Winter storage?
Old 08-27-2009, 11:10 AM
mcar00
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Just have fun! For the first time just try to memorize what turn is coming up next. There are 17 of them so it wil take a few sessions. Also, prepare to become addicted!
Old 08-27-2009, 11:23 AM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 444 Posts

Man, I would love to go run on those tracks...lucky you

BEZ06,

I'm always impressed with your video's of track events
What program, or package, do you use to embed your track telemetry....that is so

I'm going to go run at the Corvette Track Event at Springmountain Motorsport Ranch in October....can't wait
Old 08-27-2009, 11:33 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by FNBADAZ06
Man, I would love to go run on those tracks...lucky you

BEZ06,

I'm always impressed with your video's of track events
What program, or package, do you use to embed your track telemetry....that is so

I'm going to go run at the Corvette Track Event at Springmountain Motorsport Ranch in October....can't wait
I've got a Traqmate data-logger and a ChaseCam video recorder. I use Traqmate's software (TraqStudio) to put the "dashboard" on the video.

If you have any kind of data-logger and video from any source, you can do the same thing using a software called TrackVision - it will take the data gathered by any data-logger and the video from any camcorder device and put that dashboard on the video.

Bob
Old 08-27-2009, 11:40 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dvandentop
Hey Derek

It should be 75-78 degrees during the day for the HPDE in December - come on down!!!

Bob
Old 08-27-2009, 11:53 AM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
I've got a Traqmate data-logger and a ChaseCam video recorder. I use Traqmate's software (TraqStudio) to put the "dashboard" on the video.

If you have any kind of data-logger and video from any source, you can do the same thing using a software called TrackVision - it will take the data gathered by any data-logger and the video from any camcorder device and put that dashboard on the video.

Bob
Thanks brother Your video's are so cool
Old 08-27-2009, 01:10 PM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Be careful.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:13 PM
Zee0hh6ix
Racer

Check your brake fluid!!! Take sunscreen and drink lots of water.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:13 PM
Z BEACH
Instructor

[QUOTE=JBauer47;1571283441]Any advice? Should I take the left handers slow? This is my first HPDE and I want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row...First time the Z will be on a real track...Can't wait

Beware that some sections of Sebring have some pretty rough surfaces
Old 08-27-2009, 10:40 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Don't worry about the left handers!!!

The common wisdom, however, is to run the C6Z oil below the center dots on the dipstick - i.e., about 1/3 of the way from the bottom of the crosshatched area.
Sorry, I've never heard the reason behind having the oil level 1/3 from the bottom.

Please share...
Old 08-28-2009, 10:50 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 3LZZ06
Sorry, I've never heard the reason behind having the oil level 1/3 from the bottom.

Please share...
A couple years ago at an HPDE my instructor was the Chief of Exterior Design for the Z06 and ZR1 at the Tech Center in Detroit. He told me to make sure the oil level was at least below the center dot on the dipstick - he came up with some reason that I didn't understand at the time, but that's the way I've been running on the track since.

Take a look at this thread over in the AutoX/Roadrace section. The last post is by Frank Gonzalez, one of the forums highly regarded very fast drivers and instructors and C6Z owners, and he says he has experienced the problem in his car:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...rack-prep.html

Here's another one that mentions the problem:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...e-problem.html

Here's an early thread that documents the problem. In early 2006 we knew there was a problem, and that the oil should not be "overfilled", but at the time didn't know the simple solution was to leave the oil level a little below the center dot on the dipstick. Forum member allanlaw started to figure it out - check out his posts# 23, 42, and 57 in the thread below:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...l?forum_id=100

And here's another thread from 2006 when we were just learning about the problem:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...with-pics.html

Some guys run an oil catch-can, but if you run the car hard on the track keeping the oil level below the center mark on the dipstick seems to solve the burping problem.

I've run my car very hard on tracks in the southeast in the summer (and even 85 degrees at Daytona in December) and haven't had any oil pressure/temp or coolant temp problems running with the oil level at the 1/4 to 1/3 level on the dipstick.

Bob

Get notified of new replies

To Taking Z to Sebring for the first time...

Old 08-28-2009, 02:20 PM
tonytone
Instructor

Originally Posted by nzk
lol
Old 08-28-2009, 02:29 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by dvandentop
Is it snowing in SD yet?

Jim
Old 08-30-2009, 04:55 PM
jmzo6
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mcar00
Just have fun! For the first time just try to memorize what turn is coming up next. There are 17 of them so it wil take a few sessions. Also, prepare to become addicted!

Definitely addictive! Like a drug and I like it! Almost, and I said almost, like sex, but cheaper than chasing women. So, even the wife understands. Adrenaline junckie, what a deal! Have fun and keep the shiney side up.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Taking Z to Sebring for the first time...