Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Bearing noise in Z06 drivetrain?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 11:43 AM
rmm2424
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default zo6

Originally Posted by EFE Z06
If GM doesn't get the car fixed within the 30 day Lemon Law, THEY get to buy it back! The dealer has had it for almost two weeks now, they have two more weeks to get it fixed and back to me before they own it!

As for Japanese cars, I've owned a number of Turbo Supras and 300ZX's, never had problems like this! You can bet by the time the new 500HP NSX and Lexus LF-A come out, it will have been tested for a good two to three years and the public won't be the guinea pigs!

Rattling shifters, weak half axles, noisy or bad transmissions are all things GM should have perfected before they ever brought the Z06 out, now we find out the ZR1 has all these things improved and the new C6's have the new T6060 trans, I wonder why? Don't try to defend the defenseles

EFE Z06
Well heres my take. The japanese cars you've owned only make 200hp maybe 175lbft of torque so they don't really have the power to break themselves. as for the t56, borg warner makes it so I think you anger should be at them. Just my opinion.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:15 PM
EFE Z06
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rmm2424
Well heres my take. The japanese cars you've owned only make 200hp maybe 175lbft of torque so they don't really have the power to break themselves. as for the t56, borg warner makes it so I think you anger should be at them. Just my opinion.

GM is responsible for designing and engineering the entire car, the parts vendors only manufacture what GM specifies. All these problems lie at the foot of GM and nobody else! If parts go bad because they are defective then that can be blamed on the vendors, but a consistent problem due to a weak design is strictly the General's problem. Under warranty they should be installing the newer upgraded transmission in all the previous Z06's that are having trans problems, that would be the honorable thing to do. It's no wonder they are in trouble!

EFE Z06
Old 10-22-2008, 12:53 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by EFE Z06
GM is responsible for designing and engineering the entire car, the parts vendors only manufacture what GM specifies. All these problems lie at the foot of GM and nobody else! If parts go bad because they are defective then that can be blamed on the vendors, but a consistent problem due to a weak design is strictly the General's problem. Under warranty they should be installing the newer upgraded transmission in all the previous Z06's that are having trans problems, that would be the honorable thing to do. It's no wonder they are in trouble!

EFE Z06
You are sadly mistaken about who is responsible for transmission design. The T56 is a Tremec-designed and -manufactured transmission used in several cars: Corvette, Camaro, Mustang, Viper and Aston Martin, among others.

GM simply buys the transmission and installs it in the car. If you need to berate someone for your transmission woes, blame Tremec.

Send enough dollars out of the country and soon we will have none. The Japanese won't hire you because you have round eyes.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 10-22-2008, 01:38 PM
Tom Steele
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well since this thread was resurrected from the dead, what was the resolution in your case?
Old 10-22-2008, 03:13 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzalezfj
You are sadly mistaken about who is responsible for transmission design. The T56 is a Tremec-designed and -manufactured transmission used in several cars: Corvette, Camaro, Mustang, Viper and Aston Martin, among others.

GM simply buys the transmission and installs it in the car. If you need to berate someone for your transmission woes, blame Tremec.

Send enough dollars out of the country and soon we will have none. The Japanese won't hire you because you have round eyes.

Frank Gonzalez
I think that you will find that although the basic transmission design is shared by several car manufacturers, each manufacturer specs the transmission to fit their application.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:33 PM
jam313
Instructor

Originally Posted by rmm2424
Supra Turbo = 315 ft/lbs torque stock. And it was well known that the V160 Getrag 6-speed tranny it came with easily supported 500+ hp/torque without any long term issues.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:50 AM
GotGrunt
Racer

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=2146070

Old 11-06-2008, 02:27 PM
From C6ZO62C8
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I don't think this is a major problem for the Z's, or we would have quite a bit more reports.
I've seen a few performance cars have problems.

1. E46 M3, engine problems
2. 335I overheating
3. GTR trans overheating and failing, a few threads of the dealer not covering the trans under warranty.
4. A friend of mine that works at a Dodge dealer, advised he's had quite a few Vipers come through with leaking exhaust manifolds.
5. I had a MR2 turbo that gave me trans problems.
6. had a friend with a Supra, have 2nd gear problems, of course after boost.

I haven't had problems yet, but hopefully it stays that way.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Bearing noise in Z06 drivetrain?