C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Change DIY (WITH PICS!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 01:13 PM
Alex Levy
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change DIY (WITH PICS!)

I have seen a few people ask questions about changing their oil and is there anything special that has to be done so i decided to put together this DIY for people who might not be that mechanically inclined but would like to start learning about their car.

Lets Start.

First run to your local auto parts store and pick up the following:

-6 Quarts of Mobil1 5W-30 (Usually 6 quarts in a case).
-1 Oil Filter, ask the auto parts store which particular oil filter fits the C6 as not all stores carry the same brands.
-1 Wratchet (Socket Wrench) and a 13mm Socket. (Yes its metric..)
-1 Oil Filter Wrench. There are many kinds from the fitted one like the one in the picture below or a full handle wrench that fits most oil filters. Again ask at the autoparts store for one to fit your filter or a universal.
-1 Funnel (Dont want to make a mess)
-1 Fluid drain reservoir. Something to catch the fluid as it drains. (Pic below of mine)

Let your car cool down before starting the oil change!

You are also going to need a good jack and 2-4 jackstands or 2 jackstands and Rhino ramps as i have. These can be purchased at most auto parts stores.

Drive your car up on the ramps or jack it up and make it level at all 4 corners. This will ensure you get all the oil out of the pan/engine. Make sure those jack stands are under their tight because no one wants a car falling on their head.

Next, grab your Wratchet and 13mm socket and look for the Oil Drain plug as illustrated in the picture below (Underneith the drivers side of the car) . Place the Fluid reservoir directly under the Drain plug so as not to spill oil on the floor. Loosen the drain plug slowly and as you feel its loose enough to remove by hand, do so. Be sure not to drop the drain plug in the oil reservoir because it wouldnt be fun fishing it out of there.

Let the oil drain completely, should take about 10 mins or so. Once it is completely drained, reinstall the Drain Plug and tighten. Be sure not to over tighten as it doesnt need that much torque. Next grab the oil filter wrench and unscrew the oil filter counter clockwise. Be ready to get your hands dirty because oil is going to pour out of the filter housing for about 3-5 seconds as you remove the filter. (Note my oily hand in the next picture.) Drop the oil filter into the reservoir and let the oil drip for another 5 mins or so.

Next fill the new filter 1/2-3/4 of the way with New Mobil1. Put a bit of new oil on your finger and rub it around the rubber seal of the new filter.

Old 01-15-2005, 01:13 PM
Alex Levy
Drifting

Next, install the new filter by screwing it on clockwise. Hand tighten all the way then tighten with the oil filter wrench. Again do not over tighten the filter as it only needs a little amount of torque to form a tight seal.

Clean around the oil pan and drain plug with a paper towel.

This is what you should have when you are done with those steps.

Next, open the hood and locate the oil fill. Be sure to use a funnel so as to not make any mess.

Begin to pour the first 5 quarts of oil into the funnel ensuring not to spill any on the engine cover. After 5 quarts, start the engine and let it run for about 5 minutes.

Check the oil level to see where it is by using the dipstick located next to the oil fill.

If the level is close to max which is where it should be, put in another 1/2 quart as stated in the owners manual (5.5 quarts) and close the oil fill.

Jack up the car and remove the jackstands and/or drive off the rhino ramps.

Congratulations, you are done.

Should take around 35 minutes for someone who has never done it before.

-Alex

**Docrings, please add to the FAQ.

Link to my V1 DIY:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=955901

Exhaust Install DIY coming Next Week!

Last edited by alevy; 01-15-2005 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-15-2005, 01:16 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Great Post! Thanks for the time and effort!
Old 01-15-2005, 01:19 PM
krusty
Instructor

i have been changing my own oil for over 30 years,could not have said it better myself.Great pictures!!!!
Old 01-15-2005, 01:20 PM
BlaznZ06
Race Director

Received 755 Likes on 306 Posts

Super Post
Old 01-15-2005, 01:23 PM
ProfMoriarty
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for a great tutorial!

It was very much appreciated.
Old 01-15-2005, 01:25 PM
Alex Levy
Drifting

Originally Posted by krusty
i have been changing my own oil for over 30 years,could not have said it better myself.Great pictures!!!!
Krusty, Are you part of the Richmond County Corvette Club? Im looking to join. I too am from staten island.
Old 01-15-2005, 01:35 PM
FIG
Advanced

Default thanks

That was a great post. We need more of that on the site for the dummy's like me who are scared to do to much on our baby's. Again thanks and i can't wait to change my oil. Oh yeah one question should we replace the drain plug with the magnetic one?
Old 01-15-2005, 01:41 PM
Alex Levy
Drifting

Originally Posted by FIG
That was a great post. We need more of that on the site for the dummy's like me who are scared to do to much on our baby's. Again thanks and i can't wait to change my oil. Oh yeah one question should we replace the drain plug with the magnetic one?
No reason not to? I didnt have a chance to grab one but on a new car i wouldnt worry so much.. when you get closer to 10k miles i would go grab one. Also if you are interested in finding out how your engine is wearing, when you do your oil change, save 1 quart of the oil and send away for a Blackstone Labs kit.. its like 20 bux.. You send them a vile of your oil and they run tests on it to see what the particle counts are..

I recommend everyone have the test run once with the first oil change then every 20k miles there after.. they can spot inpending doom

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Here is a test report.

Old 01-15-2005, 02:12 PM
whompus
Racer

any tips on boiling water properly?
Old 01-15-2005, 02:15 PM
Alex Levy
Drifting

Originally Posted by whompus
??? Problem?

Just trying to help out..
Old 01-15-2005, 02:17 PM
Kreuzen
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Nice post...For anyone who has never tackled this project and wants to start, this is as good a step-by-step guide as you will come across.
Old 01-15-2005, 02:24 PM
ProfMoriarty
Team Owner

I second the FAQ/sticky motion.
Old 01-15-2005, 02:32 PM
jabez
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You did an excellent job of explaining and showing how easily its to change ones oil. I never had a problem changing my oil but the way you described it even my mother can do it now. Hmmmm I wonder where mom is....

Old 01-15-2005, 02:41 PM
Superstar555
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Great post! I would add a note about checking to make sure the old gasket came off with the old filter. Sometimes the gasket will stick to the sealing flange and the old filter will come off without it. In such a case, the two (old + new) gaskets may seal for a bit, but later seperate causing a catastrophic loss of oil.

Again, great job.
Old 01-15-2005, 03:14 PM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by whompus
Old 01-15-2005, 04:00 PM
Z064life
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Superstar555
Great post! I would add a note about checking to make sure the old gasket came off with the old filter. Sometimes the gasket will stick to the sealing flange and the old filter will come off without it. In such a case, the two (old + new) gaskets may seal for a bit, but later seperate causing a catastrophic loss of oil.

Again, great job.

A few other pointers.
1) Make sure you use the Jack Pads
2) You are no longer required to make the car level. This was true with the C5, but not the C6.

Other than that.....good job.

Oh, and if someone needs to know how to boil water.

Put water in pot.
Turn stove on
Put pot on stove
Wait.

I'll try to post pics later.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Change DIY (WITH PICS!)

Old 01-15-2005, 04:04 PM
blueskies4ever
Intermediate

While not new to changing oil, I am new to changing oil in my first ever Corvette. I do appreciate what may seem to be the "Corvettes for dummies" for some. This forum keeps helping me become less of a dummy. I also agree this should be FAQ material.

Looking forward to your next tutorial.
Old 01-15-2005, 04:07 PM
Buster1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great post! You just made this years Christmas for me!! I have been waiting for something like this to help me out. Thank you for your time and effort. I like to think I'm fairly mechanically inclined, but have never cahnged my own oil and was worried about trying it on the Vette as a first timer. Thanks again.

Question, I've seen mechanics pull the dipstick halfway out and loosen the oil cap on top of the engine BEFORE draining...is that required or just a technique?

Last edited by Buster1; 01-15-2005 at 04:11 PM. Reason: look at the funbags on that hosehound!
Old 01-15-2005, 04:12 PM
JFTaylor
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06
Default Great Work

Originally Posted by ProfMoriarty
Thanks for a great tutorial!

It was very much appreciated.
We need someone to do instructional training manuals for the Army. Are you interested? Kidding. Nice work Alex, Thank you

Quick Reply: Oil Change DIY (WITH PICS!)