C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 problems, won't come out of park.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 02:56 AM
mach1daddy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A6 problems, won't come out of park.

The handle works fine and button depresses but it won't come out park. I turn the steering wheel, I pressed the brake over and then try again it usually takes about a half-dozen times messing with it before you going to drive or reverse. Sometimes I turn it Off and then restart it. I haven't figured out what causes this. Anyone advice, before I take it to dealer.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:19 AM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Next time it's stuck, try this: With the engine OFF, Press & Hold the bottom of the starter button until you're in Accessory mode. IIRC, it takes 5-10 seconds.

Then with your foot on the brake, try to shift to Neutral. Then you should be able to start the car and shift to any gear.

Unfortunately, it sounds like you may have shifter damage.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:41 AM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

When you press the brake, do you hear a relay clicking in the passenger footwell?

Taillights work OK?

From post #6 at http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-in-drive.html

"Check your brake light fuse. If the tranny isn't sensing that the brake is on it wont shift passed N. I've seen the same thing happen but in park. No brake signal, shifter wont move."

A weak/dying battery might prevent something electrical from working properly, like the brake switch or the solenoid in the shifter console, which prevented you from shifting.

A new battery seemed to fix it here (post #28 & 29): http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...urn-off-2.html

But DO NOT force the shifter! Might do more harm than good.

Last edited by CO Lightfoot; 03-23-2014 at 05:44 AM.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:49 AM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mach1daddy
...Anyone advice, before I take it to dealer.
Unfortunately, a dealer's first step might be to replace the shifter ($800?). Or maybe replace a computer module... terrible diagnostic skills nowadays.

Anyone else drive your car lately? Ham-fisted folks might force the shifter, causing damage.

Maybe you can fix it yourself for free... From another "stuck shifter" thread, here's a DIY success story:

Originally Posted by Goatdad
All fixed!!!!...

The short version.........the lockout solenoid was overextended and jammed, not broken. I was about to order a new one from the local dealer ($249) and decided to try and figure out why it wasn't working before tossing it.

When you press the brake it extends a rod on a solenoid that moves a plastic piece out of the way of the release button on your shifter allowing you to put in gear. The rod on the solenoid was slightly bent and not aligned with the lockout piece. I popped it loose and bent it strait with a pair of needle nose and its as good as new.

The hard part was removing the ****. Now I can remove it in 10 seconds or less. The other obstacle was how to remove the linkage once the shifter was unbolted.....lift and twist clockwise.

If your shifter takes a dive don't pay a dealer $800+ for replacement, It can be done start to finish in thirty min once you know how to get that **** off...
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...ed-please.html
Old 03-23-2014, 05:59 AM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Lots of related threads, like these:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...park-help.html
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...with-pics.html
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...ter-stuck.html

Too much info?

Bottom Line: Rest assured, it's definitely fixable.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:17 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

And here I"d read that it was the shifter and some replaced it more than once! I missed Goatdad's writeup when it was posted.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:09 PM
mach1daddy
Instructor

Thank you all for your replies. I will check out all your suggestions, thank you again.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:09 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by mach1daddy
The handle works fine and button depresses but it won't come out park. I turn the steering wheel, I pressed the brake over and then try again it usually takes about a half-dozen times messing with it before you going to drive or reverse. Sometimes I turn it Off and then restart it. I haven't figured out what causes this. Anyone advice, before I take it to dealer.
Hey Mach1daddy,

I apologize that you are experiencing frustrations with the Vette. If this is something you would like a dealership to look at, I would be happy to contact one on your behalf. Let me know if this is something you would like to do and if so, please private message me your VIN, contact information, and your preferred dealership. I will be looking forward to hearing from you!

Jennie R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 03-25-2014, 08:52 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...le-broken.html

GM and Chevrolet has tried to hide this issue and number of repairs specifically to this model from owners and ultimately blamed owners for the issue. This is a required safety issue on all automatics. Please take the time to lodge your issue (even if covered by warranty) with www.safercar.gov which is the NHTSA site.

There are several safety issues with not having this repaired properly and unfortunately at a huge cost due to the faulty design and part. Think of a car stuck in a bad neighborhood, or in the street. If the cable breaks then you cannot move car at all. And if the shift lock breaks the car will continue to think its in gear and doors wont open and seatbelts stay tightened in place.

Unfortunately Jennie and GM are not helping with this issue as suggested... simply look to the 2005 Cobalt and Ion issue that recently popped up. A recall and repair is the right thing to do.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:44 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Here comes a new shifter!

Originally Posted by CO Lightfoot
Next time it's stuck, try this: With the engine OFF, Press & Hold the bottom of the starter button until you're in Accessory mode. IIRC, it takes 5-10 seconds.

Then with your foot on the brake, try to shift to Neutral. Then you should be able to start the car and shift to any gear.

Unfortunately, it sounds like you may have shifter damage.
Yep, the shifter selonids are sticking and the shifter has to be replaced, I been throught this twice.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:46 PM
paisan7
Heel & Toe

did you replace the shifter, or solenoid?
Old 04-07-2014, 02:38 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by paisan7
did you replace the shifter, or solenoid?
You can't replace the solenoid. Not unless you find one in a salvage yard.
Did you read my response to your comment in THIS thread?
Old 04-07-2014, 03:27 PM
STLBob234
1st Gear

Default Me too!!!

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Hey Mach1daddy,

I apologize that you are experiencing frustrations with the Vette. If this is something you would like a dealership to look at, I would be happy to contact one on your behalf. Let me know if this is something you would like to do and if so, please private message me your VIN, contact information, and your preferred dealership. I will be looking forward to hearing from you!

Jennie R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
I own a 2005 C6 Convertible. 6.0 ltr, automatic. I am experiecing the exact same problem, I think. The vehicle in in park and you cannot get it out of park. I've tried stepping harder on the brake pedal, stepping in different parts of the brake pedal, turning the engine off, then back on. Suddenly, I can shift it. Crazy.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:43 PM
paisan7
Heel & Toe

I took my c6 to the dealer about the shifter problem, and they had no idea on what to do.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:05 PM
rasw457
4th Gear

I have a 2005 automatic that used to do it all the time. Someone else posted to not push on the brake so hard when taking it out of park. I tried it and have not had the problem for over 6 months. It's weird but it works.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:13 PM
texvette2
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...le-broken.html

GM and Chevrolet has tried to hide this issue and number of repairs specifically to this model from owners and ultimately blamed owners for the issue. This is a required safety issue on all automatics. Please take the time to lodge your issue (even if covered by warranty) with www.safercar.gov which is the NHTSA site.

There are several safety issues with not having this repaired properly and unfortunately at a huge cost due to the faulty design and part. Think of a car stuck in a bad neighborhood, or in the street. If the cable breaks then you cannot move car at all. And if the shift lock breaks the car will continue to think its in gear and doors wont open and seatbelts stay tightened in place.

Unfortunately Jennie and GM are not helping with this issue as suggested... simply look to the 2005 Cobalt and Ion issue that recently popped up. A recall and repair is the right thing to do.
Dealers try to claim owner don't
know how to shift an automatic. When mine broke 3 times,
your dead in the water right there, no warning

Get notified of new replies

To A6 problems, won't come out of park.

Quick Reply: A6 problems, won't come out of park.