C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

picking out a run flat tire

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 05:18 PM
inauguralfbody
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default picking out a run flat tire

Hey guys, I am a c5 guy asking for advise from the c6 brothers. I just bought the c6 z06 factory repro's in 18x9.5 and 19x11's. I bought my car for a road trip toy, and run flats are required for me. It has really old GY F1's on it, and they don't bother me, except the age. I've researched and read reviews on them, and read many bad reviews on GY supercars, and on the G2's, with a good review every now n then. Michelin ps2 zp's get the best reviews, but run over 2k for a set. The other option I see is the Bridgestone Potenza pole position rft. They are comparable in price to supercars and supercar G2, but 3 and 5 lbs heavier, and not made in America. I also read 2 reviews that said they had a flat on the Bridgestone's and ruined their rim in 8 and 12 miles. My questions are: are the GY supercars, and G2's really that bad? Are the Michelins worth the extra $400 (or so)? Have you ever had a flat on Bridgestone and ruined a rim? I don't make a lot of cash, so I need to make my dollars count. I appreciate any input based on experience.

Last edited by inauguralfbody; 12-02-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:29 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,331 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Just stay away from Good Year Runflats. Every other brand will be a "huge" improvement.
Michelins will be #1
Firestones have decent reviews as well, for a lot less $$
Old 12-02-2013, 06:32 PM
jovette
Melting Slicks

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

I have the Michelin PS2s ZPs on my 427 and they are great tires. MUCH better than the GoodYears that came on my 2010 Grand Sport.

The Michelin's are quieter, they have better wet and dry traction, and they are wearing MUCH better than the GoodYears. I had to replace the GYs @ 13,000 miles on the Grand Sport, and I currently have 12,000 miles on the Michelins, and they are down to 7/32s (had 9.5/32s when new). More money than the GYs, yes, but based on my experience, far more superior in every way
Old 12-02-2013, 06:54 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Runflat - PS2 ZP is probably the best tire out there for the GS/Z06. Yes they are expensive but they are worth it.

I know you threw out the non run flats but Super Sports are about $1400 and are excellent in every category, rated better by Michelin than the PS2 ZP.

Goodyears are generally garbage in anything but warm dry temps and they are even noisier once they get some miles on them. They usually don't last long as most GS/Z06 owners cannot get more than 15k out of them. The "base" C6 came with different non supercar Goodyears and last longer but very noisy for most of their life.

A tire shouldn't blow out at cruising speeds unless you hit something. Slow leak yes, blow out no. Regardless carry a can of slime and compressor with you since they will fix/maintain most issues.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:10 PM
ontcanuck
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 58 Posts

Unless you got money to burn the Bridgestone Potenza pole position rft are the best value there is out there. Both my crapyears on the C5 & my GS were horrible and dangerous in the rain. I have 14000 on my Bridgestones and there is hardly a sign of wear.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:19 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,594 Likes on 1,629 Posts

My vote goes to Michelin (GY would be second). I have them on the 06 and the 13. I have used them on the track (Spring Mountain).
Old 12-02-2013, 07:58 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 520 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by inauguralfbody
Hey guys, I am a c5 guy asking for advise from the c6 brothers. I just bought the c6 z06 factory repro's in 18x9.5 and 19x11's. I bought my car for a road trip toy, and run flats are required for me. It has really old GY F1's on it, and they don't bother me, except the age. I've researched and read reviews on them, and read many bad reviews on GY supercars, and on the G2's, with a good review every now n then. Michelin ps2 zp's get the best reviews, but run over 2k for a set. The other option I see is the Bridgestone Potenza pole position rft. They are comparable in price to supercars and supercar G2, but 3 and 5 lbs heavier, and not made in America. I also read 2 reviews that said they had a flat on the Bridgestone's and ruined their rim in 8 and 12 miles. My questions are: are the GY supercars, and G2's really that bad? Are the Michelins worth the extra $400 (or so)? Have you ever had a flat on Bridgestone and ruined a rim? I don't make a lot of cash, so I need to make my dollars count. I appreciate any input based on experience.
Wait for the new Michelin Super Sport Run Flats. Similar to the PS2 but better grip / life and cost. Some locations may already have the tires available. It is worth a phone call and check. Here in Canada we wont see them until next summer.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:37 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,192 Likes on 2,681 Posts

Originally Posted by ontcanuck
Unless you got money to burn the Bridgestone Potenza pole position rft are the best value there is out there. Both my crapyears on the C5 & my GS were horrible and dangerous in the rain. I have 14000 on my Bridgestones and there is hardly a sign of wear.
I have them and I have been very happy.

I did just notice that the rears are pole position, and the fronts are not. Can anybody tell me which is better? They are both RE050A. Judging from price(only), the non-pole position are better.

lisa
Old 12-02-2013, 10:14 PM
inauguralfbody
Advanced

Well, the general consensus seems to be consistent. Thanks for your input guys, and girls. I posted the same thing in c5 forum, and there aren't to many run flat fans over there. (posting, anyway) I suppose run flats aren't that big of an advantage? I guess a blowout is a blowout run flat or not. I have a 12volt compressor I can carry to replenish slow leaking air, should I pick up a nail, or something. I don't like the idea of slime, but I guess I could keep a can handy in the unlikely event of a flat. I don't know if I am any closer to making a decision on what tires to buy. but my wheels will be here by the end of the week, and I have a rebuilt set of tpms on my kitchen table that showed up today.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:16 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,221 Likes on 832 Posts

Firestone....best value out there in an emt tire. imo.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:18 PM
inauguralfbody
Advanced

Originally Posted by hawkgfr
Firestone....best value out there in an emt tire. imo.
I thought I read that they discontinued those!
P.S. I'm looking for c6 z06 size tires. 275/325

Last edited by inauguralfbody; 12-02-2013 at 10:42 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:34 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,961 Likes on 5,347 Posts

I have the Michelin PS2 ZPs on the car now and have put several thousand highway miles and about 100 track miles on them. They are great tires and should last longer than the stock EMTs (mainly because they come with more tread depth). However, they really aren't any less noisy than the GYs they just make a different noise and it is just as loud. Certain road surfaces will generate enough noise to drown out the radio. The EMTs did the same.

As far as track performance I can't compare the performance from one to the other very well as I was running on two different tracks, the Michelins were practically new while the EMTs had at least 8K miles on them so had a lot less tread squirm, and the front EMTs were mounted on 18x10 wheels Vs the Michelins being mounted on 18x9.5 wheels. I also had two different alignments. With the EMTs i had a track oriented alignment while with the Michelins I had a street alignment that emphasized better tire wear.

Despite being new and working with the street alignment the PS2s seemed to behave well on the track, there was no chunking of the tire edges, the tires seemed to grab well in the corners.

The PS2s seem to ride a little softer than the EMTs but that could be my imagination.

Bill
Old 12-03-2013, 06:42 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

Here's some Z06 tire info: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...re-thread.html

Many posters forget about how few choices are available for the Z06 tire sizes, and about the added torque of the Z06.

I would put Bridgestone Potenza RFs on a C6Z if I had one, because they are a good "predictable traction tire" for the price, but could go with Michelin RFs also, both are good tires.

The Goodyears get "hard" after several heat cycles, and become very unpredictable for traction at temps below 60 degrees over time.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:49 AM
nykbob
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I currently have Pirelli P zeros and I think they are quiet and great tires, BUT I have no experience to compare them with any other tires as I bought my car with them. Has anyone compared the Pirellis with Michilins, or any of the other tires?

Last edited by nykbob; 12-03-2013 at 07:11 AM.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:31 AM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Seadawg
I would put Bridgestone Potenza RFs on a C6Z if I had one, because they are a good "predictable traction tire" for the price, but could go with Michelin RFs also, both are good tires.
^This^.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:34 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,048 Likes on 822 Posts

The other option I see is the Bridgestone Potenza pole position rft. They are comparable in price to supercars and supercar G2, but 3 and 5 lbs heavier, and not made in America.
Am on the second set of PPs on my '08 Z06, put 'em on my '06 Z51 & before that my '03 AE. Your cll on whether PPs are made here or Egypt, I shop value. Mich's are excellent & they cost it. Your call.

I also read 2 reviews that said they had a flat on the Bridgestone's and ruined their rim in 8 and 12 miles. My questions are: are the GY supercars, and G2's really that bad? Are the Michelins worth the extra $400 (or so)? Have you ever had a flat on Bridgestone and ruined a rim? I don't make a lot of cash, so I need to make my dollars count. I appreciate any input based on experience.
IMO yes GYs are that bad, again there're people who like them. YMMV
Within the year had my first flat while on PPs, drove 25 miles to selling dealer, no rim damage whatsoever. Mind you I drove under the permitted 55, was somewhat wobbly but got me there w/ no damage.

My beef's with dealer's who refuse to repair a small hole in center of tire citing legal liability bilge, but, are more than willing to sell a new tire.

PPs aren't as good as Mich but don't cost as much, while either are better than GY.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:31 PM
Like dem Vettes
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have Michelin PS2 ZPs on my 06. What a tremendous improvement over the Goodyear tires!

Get notified of new replies

To picking out a run flat tire

Old 12-03-2013, 06:12 PM
BackInBlack05
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts

I know the G2's get bad press here, but mine are/were pretty competent. Bought a set of take-offs when my Firestones got stolen. The 'stones were crap (ride). The G2's are giving up their grip a bit now, but that's 20+K later.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:48 PM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,508 Likes on 3,592 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I have been using Firestone Firehawks with no problems.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:15 PM
inauguralfbody
Advanced

Originally Posted by Landru
Am on the second set of PPs on my '08 Z06, put 'em on my '06 Z51 & before that my '03 AE. Your cll on whether PPs are made here or Egypt, I shop value. Mich's are excellent & they cost it. Your call.

IMO yes GYs are that bad, again there're people who like them. YMMV
Within the year had my first flat while on PPs, drove 25 miles to selling dealer, no rim damage whatsoever. Mind you I drove under the permitted 55, was somewhat wobbly but got me there w/ no damage.

PPs aren't as good as Mich but don't cost as much, while either are better than GY.
Yours were the post I was really looking for. Many thanks to all who replied. You just gotta love this site. I've been leaning toward the PP's because they seem to be middle of the road: price and performance, i.e., best bang for the buck. Just like my c5 with 27k miles.
My goals are c6 z06 tires, then c6 z06 sways, maybe shocks too. Then I'll think about power adders. You guys are the best!

Quick Reply: picking out a run flat tire