Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] THE difinitive Z06 tire thread

Old 08-31-2010, 09:48 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Default THE difinitive Z06 tire thread

I've accumulated data on all the street tires I could come up with available for the Z06 and put together the info below. Note that this is organized where each tire has the same data in the same format below it.

My notes: I have not driven most of these tires. My comments are mostly based upon forum input, but I did put some notes at the bottom of each tire listing that sometimes is just my opinion.

Prices are based upon Tire Rack or Discount Tire Direct. I'm sure that better or worse prices are available, but this should give a good comparison as to which tires fall where in pricing compared to each other.

A final note - some tires have a "Y" rating, some a "W" rating. If you are not familiar with these see this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=35

I'm sure I'll think of other stuff as I go and add to it, and I'm sure we'll get some great input from others who can add to what I say, agree with, and tell me I'm a dumb azz on some of it. BRING IT ON. It's all good!

Tire: Goodyear Supercar F1 EMT (Factory Z06, Z51, Grand Sport)
Wear Rating/Speed Rating: 220/Y
Runflat? Y/N Yes
Price - Set of four not including shipping, taxes or mounting: $1598
Comments based upon Forum input:
Nobody seems to like this tire - poor mileage, poor road noise, poor ride, after about 5000 miles they seem to go downhill quickly and cold traction is poor.
My subjective comments and smartass sense of humor:
This tire is truly the poster child for forum whiners. If it weren't for the Bose Stereo and Car & Drivers least favorite seats, these tires would be the least favorite aspect of the C6. But the reality is that they were designed for the car, and many road tests have proven that they actually work very well on the car.

Tire: Bridgestone RE050 RFT
Wear Rating/Speed Rating: 280/Y
Runflat? Y/N Yes
Price - Set of four not including shipping, taxes or mounting: $1534
Not a lot of folks run these tires, but those that do say they are better than the factory tires in every aspect. They seem to be a good tire at a mid-level price.
I had a set of these tires in a non-runflat configuration on an Infiniti M45 Sport. They did not wear very well, and became extremely noisy as they wore - so I have a bitter taste for them.

Tire: Goodyear Supercar G2 Factory for 2011 Z06 and Grand Sport w/F55 & Manual Trans)
Runflat? Y/N Yes
Price - Set of four not including shipping, taxes or mounting: $1840
These are too new for much input. But they were tested and reported on by the fine folks at the Bondurant Driving School and they report that they are about 1.5 seconds a lap faster (that is VERY significant) and have outstanding subjective turn in qualities.
They are not cheap, and are unproven in the noise, ride and wear department. But they should give Michelin some competition for the best performance tire available for the Corvette.

Tire: Michelin PS2 ZP

Runflat? Y/N Yes
Price - Set of four not including shipping, taxes or mounting: $1908
This tire seems to have it all. Outstanding handling, quieter than the GY's, better handling (except maybe the new GY G2) and it's still a runflat.
This tire is the tire to buy if you don't want to compromise, don't want to take a chance on a second string tire, and you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. BTW, you'll be glad you did because if you buy these tires you won't be able to afford a nicer hotel. Don't forget that you'll pay closer to 2300 + delivered and installed on these bad-boy tires!

UPDATE: I put these tires on my car in November 2010 (it is now May 2011). I stand by my statements above on these. I paid just a hair over $2,000 for them.

Tire: General Exclaim UHP

Wear Rating/Speed Rating: 380/W
Runflat? Y/N No
Price - Set of four not including shipping, taxes or mounting: $766
The scouting report on these is that they are a great tire for the price, and some folks say a great tire regardless of price. The only downside seems to be a little more flex leading to a little worse steering response. Owners claim great wet performance, great ride and very quiet.
OK, I'm gonna get flamed for this, but I have to question how hard people run this tire if they really love it. A 380 tread wear rating and questionable steering response tells me that it would not fare well in objective performance - such as a race track or autocross. I'm going to stick my neck out and say that its a great tire for a daily driver and a driver who does not feel the need to explore the last 5% of this cars handling potential.

UPDATE: I don't believe these are available anymore. Continental - who owns General, is reported to be coming out with something similar - but that is not confirmed.

Tire: Nitto NT05 (Note: Available in 335 rear / 285 front)
Wear Rating/Speed Rating: 200/W
Runflat? Y/N No
Price - Set of four not including shipping, taxes or mounting: $1062
This tire gets a some conflicting reports, but overall the reviews indicate that its performance is somewhat better than the factory Goodyears at a lower price. Tread life seems to be lacking. Some folks say they wear out as quickly, or even more so than the factory tires. Turn in is very good, traction is very good, but wet weather traction is not so good.
This is actually the only other tire I've driven myself on a Z06. Traction seemed good and turn in was good. Noise was very close to the same as the factory Goodyear, and ride was a little better. This tire seems like a good choice for someone who does not want to compromise performance but wants to save a few bucks on purchase price.

Tire: Nitto Invo

Wear Rating/Speed Rating: 220/Y NOTE: Front is W rated only
Runflat? Y/N No
Price - Set of four not including shipping, taxes or mounting: $1024
Here is another tire that gets conflicting reviews. My consensus is that the tire is quiet, rides well and handles ok - but not at the very top of the class. Most comments indicate that steering response is a bit soft. Wet traction is good.
This tire reminds me of the General but with better PR. See my comments on that tire for my opinion on this tire. Great tire for a daily driver. One owner who I respect a lot has these as his street tires and a backup set of NT05s as his track tire. I think he has his priorities and needs well thought out.
NOTE: This tire is also used in a 345 rear tire by some. Price approx $110 more

Tire: Kumho Ecsta XS
(345 rear size only for Z06)
Wear Rating/Speed Rating: 180/W
Runflat? Y/N No
Price - Set of four not including shipping, taxes or mounting: $1200
No real feedback
Back in my C5 days, there was a stir on the C5 forum that Kumhos were the cats meow at a much lower price. A friend of mine put them on his slightly modified C5 Z06 and raved about them. I drove the car one day and damn near took out several other cars on the road when I nailed the gas and got sideways. I've never trusted Kuhmos since. But I will admit that I put a set on my Infiniti M45 Sport because I had two months left on my lease and wanted the cheapest tires I could find. I was pleasantly surprised at how they worked on that car.

Tire: Michelin PS2
(345 rear size only for Z06)
Runflat? Y/N No
Price - Set of four not including shipping, taxes or mounting: $1668
Handles well, quiet, decent ride, very good tire life. This tires seems to do no wrong.
This tire gets great write-ups everywhere it goes. If you can live without a runflat, it doesn't get any better than this tire and at a mid-level price. I am seriously considering this tire myself. Some folks are running a bigger front tire size, but I could not find a listing for a bigger size for this thread.

Last edited by jschindler; 12-21-2011 at 09:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
c7fasteddie (02-24-2017)
Old 08-31-2010, 09:58 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
I've accumulated data on all the street tires I could come up with available for the Z06 and put together the info below. Note that this is organized where each tire has the same data in the same format below it.

My notes: I have not driven most of these tires. My comments are mostly based upon forum input, but I did put some notes at the bottom of each tire listing that sometimes is just my opinion.

Prices are based upon Tire Rack or Discount Tire Direct. I'm sure that better or worse prices are available, but this should give a good comparison as to which tires fall where in pricing compared to each other.

A final note - some tires have a "Y" rating, some a "W" rating. If you are not familiar with these see this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=35

I'm sure I'll think of other stuff as I go and add to it, and I'm sure we'll get some great input from others who can add to what I say, agree with, and tell me I'm a dumb azz on some of it. BRING IT ON. It's all good!

Tire: Goodyear Supercar F1 EMT (Factory Z06, Z51, Grand Sport)
Runflat? Y/N Yes
Price - Set of four not including shipping, taxes or mounting: $1598
Nobody seems to like this tire - poor mileage, poor road noise, poor ride, after about 5000 miles they seem to go downhill quickly and cold traction is poor.
This tire is truly the poster child for forum whiners. If it weren't for the Bose Stereo and Car & Drivers least favorite seats, these tires would be the least favorite aspect of the C6. But the reality is that they were designed for the car, and many road tests have proven that they actually work very well on the car.

Tire: Bridgestone RE050 RFT
Wear Rating/Speed Rating: 280/Y
Runflat? Y/N Yes
Price - Set of four not including shipping, taxes or mounting: $1534
Not a lot of folks run these tires, but those that do say they are better than the factory tires in every aspect. They seem to be a good tire at a mid-level price.
I had a set of these tires in a non-runflat configuration on an Infiniti M45 Sport. They did not wear very well, and became extremely noisy as they wore - so I have a bitter taste for them.

Tire: Goodyear Supercar G2 (Factory for 2011 Z06 and Grand Sport w/F55 & Manual Trans)
Runflat? Y/N Yes
Price - Set of four not including shipping, taxes or mounting: $1840
These are too new for much input. But they were tested and reported on by the fine folks at the Bondurant Driving School and they report that they are about 1.5 seconds a lap faster (that is VERY significant) and have outstanding subjective turn in qualities.
They are not cheap, and are unproven in the noise, ride and wear department. But they should give Michelin some competition for the best performance tire available for the Corvette.

Tire: Michelin PS2 ZP

Runflat? Y/N Yes
Price - Set of four not including shipping, taxes or mounting: $1908
This tire seems to have it all. Outstanding handling, quieter than the GY's, better handling (except maybe the new GY G2 - and it's still a runflat.
This tire is the tire to buy if you don't want to compromise, don't want to take a chance on a second string tire, and you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. BTW, you'll be glad you did because if you buy these tires you won't be able to afford a nicer hotel. Don't forget that you'll pay closer to 2300 + delivered and installed on these bad-boy tires!

Tire: General Exclaim UHP

Wear Rating/Speed Rating: 380/W
Runflat? Y/N No
Price - Set of four not including shipping, taxes or mounting: $766
The scouting report on these is that they are a great tire for the price, and some folks say a great tire regardless of price. The only downside seems to be a little more flex leading to a little worse steering response. Owner claims great wet performance, great ride and very quiet.
OK, I'm gonna get flamed for this, but I have to question how hard people run this tire if they really love it. A 380 tread wear rating and questionable steering response tells me that it would not fare well in objective performance - such as a race track or autocross. I'm going to stick my neck out and say that its a great tire for a daily driver and a driver who does not feel the need to explore the last 5% of this cars handling potential.

Tire: Nitto NT05 (Note: Available in 335 rear / 285 front)
Wear Rating/Speed Rating: 200/W
Runflat? Y/N No
Price - Set of four not including shipping, taxes or mounting: $1062
This tire gets a some conflicting reports, but overall the reviews indicate that its performance is somewhat better than the factory Goodyears at a lower price. Tread life seems to be lacking. Some folks say they wear out as quickly, or even more so than the factory tires. Turn in is very good, traction is very good, but wet weather traction is not so good.
This is actually the only other tire I've driven myself on a Z06. Traction seemed good and turn in was good. Noise was very close to the same as the factory Goodyear, and ride was a little better. This tire seems like a good choice for someone who does not want to compromise performance but wants to save a few bucks on purchase price.

Tire: Nitto Invo

Wear Rating/Speed Rating: 220/Y NOTE: Front is W rated only
Runflat? Y/N No
Price - Set of four not including shipping, taxes or mounting: $1024
Here is another tire that gets conflicting reviews. My consensus is that the tire is quiet, rides well and handles ok - but not at the very top of the class. Most comments indicate that steering response is a bit soft. Wet traction is good.
This tire reminds me of the General but with better PR. See my comments on that tire for my opinion on this tire. Great tire for a daily driver. One owner who I respect a lot has these as his street tires and a backup set of NT05s as his track tire. I think he has his priorities and needs well thought out.
NOTE: This tire is also used in a 345 rear tire by some. Price approx $110 more

Tire: Kumho Exsta XS (345 rear size only for Z06)

Wear Rating/Speed Rating: 180/W
Runflat? Y/N No
Price - Set of four not including shipping, taxes or mounting: $1200
No real feedback
Back in my C5 days, there was a stir on the C5 forum that Kumhos were the cats meow at a much lower price. A friend of mine put them on his slightly modified C5 Z06 and raved about them. I drove the car one day and damn near took out several other cars on the road when I nailed the gas and got sideways. I've never trusted Kuhmos since. But I will admit that I put a set on my Infiniti M45 Sport because I had two months left on my lease and wanted the cheapest tires I could find. I was pleasantly surprised at how they worked on that car.

Tire: Michelin PS2 (345 rear size only for Z06)

Runflat? Y/N No
Price - Set of four not including shipping, taxes or mounting: $1668
Handles well, quiet, decent ride, very good tire life. This tires seems to do no wrong.
This tire gets great write-ups everywhere it goes. If you can live without a runflat, it doesn't get any better than this tire and at a mid-level price. I am seriously considering this tire myself. Some folks are running a bigger front tire size, but I could not find a listing for a bigger size for this thread.
Thanks for all the work and fact gathering on this post. I am saving it as a favorite. I'll probably go with the nitto nt5 335/275 combo when my runflats go away
Old 08-31-2010, 10:00 PM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Received 599 Likes on 220 Posts

I dont like the factory RFT. I'm now using Michelin Pilot PS2's non RF and love them.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:00 PM
FRDnemesis
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, that must have taken a bit of time! This should be a sticky up top if for nothing else as a guide to answer the question that pops up on this forum at least twice a week "What tires should I get?"

Well Done!

-jeff
Old 08-31-2010, 10:08 PM
NASTY ZO6
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for taking the time to provide us with this info!
Old 08-31-2010, 10:10 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A serious post by a valued member.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:16 PM
gotjuice?
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
A serious post by a valued member.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:28 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Wow, good work!
Old 08-31-2010, 10:33 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by FRDnemesis
Wow, that must have taken a bit of time! This should be a sticky up top if for nothing else as a guide to answer the question that pops up on this forum at least twice a week "What tires should I get?"

Well Done!

-jeff
Those were my thoughts too as I read it.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:53 PM
Beast5spdGTA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome tire summary post.

I think you had a typo for the Generals under smart a$$ comment: you meant to say the last 25% probably instead of 5%. (Just from what I read on here)

My personal experience in 85-90*+ FL weather is sustaining .88 Gs on the heads up is pretty easy after 15+K miles on the EMTs. (1.02 G max, is also easy by just cutting the wheel at the end of a turn.) I did this almost everyday when traffic allowed it. Two turns, one at 50-55 mph and the other at 65-85 mph (increasing radius turn).

Best 60' (never did a proper burnout) was 1.87 s and was clutch limited, not traction, IMO (pedal to the floor). 1.9x and 2.0x 60' was probably close to 50% of the time and probably mostly driver error that didn't make that 100% of the time.

Now at 23K miles (60k+ on car) and cords starting to show, sustaining near or above .8 Gs is a little scary.

Goodyear G:2s will be my next rear tires, should be on in the next week or two. I think we are up to 3 articles that state 1+ sec gains on a 60 sec lap, with no other changes other than tires, which is huge. And the2011 Mustang GT500 as well with similar results.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:54 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Great work on the tire review...
Old 08-31-2010, 11:00 PM
Cyphear
Advanced

Originally Posted by jschindler
OK, I'm gonna get flamed for this, but I have to question how hard people run this tire if they really love it. A 380 tread wear rating and questionable steering response tells me that it would not fare well in objective performance - such as a race track or autocross.
I've read on here that there is no standard tread wear rating, and they vary from manufacturer to manufacturer... just like amplifiers (e.g. the 2000 watt chinese amp for $30).

Awesome post. We should all take time to summarize products like this. I would love to see what kind of 60's people pull on each tire. I may have to start my own thread for that (if I do, I'll PM you with the conclusions). Would anyone else be interested in that?

BTW: Thread title should be "definitive" if it's editable.

Last edited by Cyphear; 08-31-2010 at 11:18 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:00 PM
HoustonSVT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great Job, How do the Bridgestone and Kumhos look in width? Some tires run smaller, do either of these?
Old 08-31-2010, 11:31 PM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

I appreciate the research and sharing with the rest of us.

I am not a fan of the OEM Goodyear Supercar tires. I have a C6 Z51 Coupe and a Z06 that came with the Goodyears and they are just not a very good tire on these cars. Almost any tire you can buy in the correct size will out perform the Goodyear Supercar tires after about 5000 miles.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:34 AM
RoatanMan
Melting Slicks

PS2, Not Runflat!
Old 09-01-2010, 12:42 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Great post

DH
Old 09-01-2010, 01:13 AM
PatriotZ
Melting Slicks

Location: "No matter where you go... there you are"...."You cannot drive a dollar bill". ...and remember... "D
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice job and thanks for the hard work.....definitely a keeper for my next set of tires...

Get notified of new replies

To THE difinitive Z06 tire thread

Old 09-01-2010, 01:27 AM
vettluver
Instructor

Originally Posted by FRDnemesis

Well Done!

-jeff
+2 Thanks!
Old 09-01-2010, 04:05 AM
foremaw
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 114 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Nice work, much appreciated!
Old 09-01-2010, 04:52 AM
Kalevi
Intermediate

I went with the Michelin PS2 non-run-flats. For the rears, I went 345. On TireRack, just search for tires for an '08 Dodge Viper.

I've had no problems with clearance on the rear for the extra width.

The tires have astonishing grip compared to the Good Years and Kumhos I've had; even in wet weather!

I can't go back to anything other than my Pilot Sports! I've never been more satisfied with tires!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] THE difinitive Z06 tire thread