C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick Retrofit NPP Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 09:49 AM
CaptainCrunch
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Quick Retrofit NPP Question

All,

I am in the market for a used set of NPP to add to my 06 coupe which obviously did not come with it from the factory. I understand that I do not have any of the vacuum lines that come with the system from GM - do I have to use one of the electronic M2W switches to control it, or can I just manually open/close the butterfly valves with my hand similar to the old-school manual cutouts?? I have not had good experiences with aftermarket electronics, I always end up with a dead battery, so I would rather just walk behind the car and position the valves myself prior to firing it up based on my mood/itinerary. Thanks!!

-Tommy
Old 09-04-2013, 10:01 AM
Knoxrower
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

NPP should have its own dedicated thread on this forum there's been so much discussion on it. I'm going thru the conversion now myself and I think I've read every thread out there. You'll need one of these;

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-in-a-box.html

Also stay away from the Z06 exhaust to avoid fitment issues. There's also multiple threads on different placements of the switch and routes of the vacuum tube but it does everything you describe above without draining the battery. Also with an '06 you'll need an H-pipe as well.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...rofit-box.html
Old 09-04-2013, 01:17 PM
Sayfoo
Safety Car

Received 457 Likes on 355 Posts

Yes, you can manually operate the valves. With no vaccum to them, they are in the open/loud mode. To go to quiet mode, just move the manual linkage and secure it with a piece of bailing wire.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:37 PM
Top_Fuel
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch
I have not had good experiences with aftermarket electronics...I would rather just walk behind the car and position the valves myself prior to firing it up based on my mood/itinerary.
You have nothing to fear with using the available electronic products on the market for controlling the NPP exhaust. The products are extremely simple (and reliable) and they are waaay more cool than messing with the "old school" cutouts or getting out of your car to try to mess with the valves. Just stay in the car and press a wireless remote button.

There is no way to manually control the valves without having a vacuum source available at the mufflers. So at a minimum, you will need to run a vacuum line from the engine back to the mufflers. You then have a choice of a couple of ways to actually control the vacuum going to the valves.

Check out this thread where I sold a complete NPP setup. It has some good info and links.

You may also want to check out this thread when you are considering where to mount your control box.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:06 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 811 Posts

Go for it our 09 did not come with NPP and we upgraded to a ZR1 setup and like that we can be loud when we want and quiet when we want
Old 09-04-2013, 07:17 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

The exhaust valves are vacuum operated, the electronics control the vacuum.

If you want to crawl under the car and individually move both valves and lock them mechanically in either the open or closed position everytime you want to change exhaust sound then go to it.

Get notified of new replies

To Quick Retrofit NPP Question

Quick Reply: Quick Retrofit NPP Question