C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corner exit snap oversteer, very annoying... how to fix?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 01:34 PM
blackfd
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Corner exit snap oversteer, very annoying... how to fix?

2008 coupe, 23k miles, stock tires with 4/32" left, diff has been changed to the new fluid, endlinks have been replaced within last 5k miles, alignment *SHOULD* be spot on, tire wear is even. Car is stock besides an intake.

I'm noticing on almost every corner now corner entry and mid corner and fine and quick, but even at low speeds say 35 out of the corner on exit as soon as I let go of the throttle (while i'm in 4th @ 1500rpm mind you, not attacking the corner hard at all) the car immediately fishtails left/right and then my hands and active handling bring it back.

I checked my "new" endlinks and they move very easily left to right and have some binding and popping.

anyone have experience with this? I didn't want to go buy new endlinks again or tires quite yet...
Old 06-18-2013, 01:43 PM
CodyC6
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Original 5-6 year old tires. That's my guess as the problem. Rubber may be old and harder, plus the GY's are just terrible.

Last edited by CodyC6; 06-19-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:44 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Stock tires are so horrible it's actually impressive that Goodyear was able to sell them to GM.

I've never noticed a change like I did just from swapping tires.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:45 PM
blackfd
Burning Brakes

I know everyone is going to say "stock tires suck", but any steps to confirm the behavior before I go buy new ones if they're indeed the problem?
Old 06-18-2013, 01:47 PM
CodyC6
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The behavior of my horrible original tires are exactly how you described in my experience. I need to change mine, as they are older and harder now and are absolutely taking away from enjoying the car as it was meant too, and they are dangerously unpredictable in anything but hot dry weather.

Last edited by CodyC6; 06-19-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:22 PM
blackfd
Burning Brakes

Entry and corner stability seem fine though, leads me to believe something else is going on.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:42 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

It's very easy to just blame the stock tires when you have nothing valuable to add to a handling thread or don't know what your talking about.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:43 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,149 Posts

Could you explain what "but even at low speeds say 35 out of the corner on exit as soon as I let go of the throttle (while i'm in 4th @ 1500rpm mind you, not attacking the corner hard at all) the car immediately fishtails left/right" means.

If you are saying that midway through a corner you let off of the gas and the car fishtails then it has nothing to do with tires. Something in the suspension is broken.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:46 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by CodyC6
The behavior of the horrible stock tires are exactly how you described in my experience. I need to change mine, as they absolutely take away from enjoying the car as it was meant too, and they are dangerously unpredictable.
I made a post when I first got my car. 14k miles, but the rear was on brand new GY F1 RF

This is the first car I've driven where I thought "holy ****, if I screw up, this will get really ugly really quick without any ability to save it." It reminded me of my first time on a sport bike- the inputs are very sensitive and the machine is finely tuned. It's going to do what you tell it to do, whether it's what you want it to do or not, so be very careful. It just feels like it can bite very quickly and very hard.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...post1584002916

FWIW, I'm probably a mid pack driver at a track day. I'll drive in the middle of the three groups (beginning, intermediate, advanced) and be mid pack, assuming all cars are equal. Maybe even better. In a bone stock Camaro SS, I was probably 5 seconds faster than every car out there in the beginner group.

Also, that's somewhat the nature of the car. It's a 50-50 weight distributed car, but it has weight at the extreme ends (engine front, trans rear) and the tires aren't all that grippy or large. It has stiff relatively suspension so it won't squat under load and put weight on the rear. The tires have stiff sidewall and won't load up. It's just going to "snap" more than mustang or Camaro.

I think it's a combination of the car's natural characteristics and the tires.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:53 PM
blackfd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
Could you explain what "but even at low speeds say 35 out of the corner on exit as soon as I let go of the throttle (while i'm in 4th @ 1500rpm mind you, not attacking the corner hard at all) the car immediately fishtails left/right" means.

If you are saying that midway through a corner you let off of the gas and the car fishtails then it has nothing to do with tires. Something in the suspension is broken.
entry and mid corner are fine, but when i'm through the corner and straightened out, letting go of the gas sends the rear sideways as the weight transfers. I also feel like it isn't nearly as competent going into the corner as it once was though.

All I found was the endlink play, i'll jack it up and pull on the wheels see if the tie rods are messed up.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:57 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Enter corner slower in the appropriate gear and learn to control throttle.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:07 PM
blackfd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LFZ
Enter corner slower in the appropriate gear and learn to control throttle.
that's my point, i'm not "attacking" these corners, i'm going around them to be what I consider one step beyond normal and the behavior is still occurring.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:16 PM
redrckt97
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by blackfd
entry and mid corner are fine, but when i'm through the corner and straightened out, letting go of the gas sends the rear sideways as the weight transfers. I also feel like it isn't nearly as competent going into the corner as it once was though.

All I found was the endlink play, i'll jack it up and pull on the wheels see if the tie rods are messed up.
I'd think the tires are a factor as stated by others -- but why do you let off the gas After the corner? - thats backwards .... brake, turn, then accelerate out .... its weight transfer as you said and you want the weight on the rears on exit.

One other thought though -- others on CF have reported cracks in their springs -- might check them.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:23 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Just a thought but could the poorly baffled twin fuel tanks be the cause as fuel rushes from one to the other or even within its own tank?
Old 06-18-2013, 03:28 PM
sammyv
Drifting

Received 183 Likes on 140 Posts

When you say letting go of the gas what do you mean?
Old 06-18-2013, 03:29 PM
blackfd
Burning Brakes

if the speed limit's 35 and I happen to go through the corner at 40 I coast back down to 35 after exit
Old 06-18-2013, 03:36 PM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 245 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
This isn't a tire problem. It sounds like a very bad wheel bearing or the half shaft is moving out of the diff to far. SOMETHING is changing the geometry of the rear wheel alignment!

Tom

Get notified of new replies

To Corner exit snap oversteer, very annoying... how to fix?

Old 06-18-2013, 03:39 PM
blackfd
Burning Brakes

the dealership had to remove the transmission to fix 5th gear hub, what should I check that they might have not done correctly?
Old 06-18-2013, 03:42 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by blackfd

I'm confused, you're on the throttle coming out from the mid turn. When do you let off the throttle? At the clip point when you're straightened out or between bid turn and clip point? after clip point?

I've noticed my car doesn't like engine braking in turns, at all. What gear are you in? I went through a turn yesterday and didn't heel toe. When I let the clutch out on the exit, the back end snapped around very hard. Aside from the whole rear end pulling back, it pushes weight forward and make the *** want to go around. Never lift, bro :p

If you're straightened out completely and out of the turn, then the back end snaps around, something is broken.

Last edited by village idiot; 06-18-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:49 PM
blackfd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by village idiot
I'm confused, you're on the throttle coming out from the mid turn. When do you let off the throttle? At the clip point when you're straightened out or between bid turn and clip point? after clip point?

I've noticed my car doesn't like engine braking in turns, at all. What gear are you in? I went through a turn yesterday and didn't heel toe. When I let the clutch out on the exit, the back end snapped around very hard. Aside from the whole rear end pulling back, it pushes weight forward and make the *** want to go around. Never lift, bro :p

If you're straightened out completely and out of the turn, then the back end snaps around, something is broken.
I guess i'm not paying entire attention, since in my mind i'm not driving aggressively when it happens.

Quick Reply: Corner exit snap oversteer, very annoying... how to fix?