C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Needing a GMS number for my vette im buying. Any help????

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 04:20 PM
StreetGame101
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Needing a GMS number for my vette im buying. Any help????

Looking for a G.M.S number because I'm buying a new vette. All the paperwork is done just searching high and low for a number. I've seen this done before on here and it worked so I figured it was worth a shot. I know all the stipulations and have used many (g.m.s numbers) before. Pm and we'll talk about it.

Thanks
Old 11-08-2012, 11:56 AM
Bill Suttie
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are asking for something illegal. The giver could loose their privileges if caught.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:57 AM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Is that a new rule?...I used one when I bought my 08
Old 11-08-2012, 12:20 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

I thought the current incentives included getting the GM Employee price. If so you wouldn't need a GMS number.

Bill
Old 11-08-2012, 12:26 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I thought the current incentives included getting the GM Employee price. If so you wouldn't need a GMS number.

Bill
There was a large volume Corvette dealership in Michigan that was including the GM Employee discount to anyone last month. However, as a rule of thumb, you have to be a GM employee, retiree or GM family member, in order to get it.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:19 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by troller399
Is that a new rule?...I used one when I bought my 08
Member Bill Suttie is absolutely correct. What the OP is asking for is specifically against the rules of the Employee New Vehicle Purchase Program.

This actually is not at all a new rule. In 2008 there was an incentive program going on called GM In the driveway where eligible GM employees could offer a number to allow friends and family to purchase a new GM vehicle at the discount. There is no such employee discount program active currently (or since 2008) for general employees.

With that said, and to be sure that we are all talking about the same thing, A GMS number is an employee discount. A GSU is a GM Supplier discount. There is a difference between the two in both the amount of the discount and the restrictions that apply.

Currently, eligible employees and retirees can share a GSU number with family and friends under the "Supplier for Family and Friends" program.

With respect to employee number (GSM) the following rules apply.

Who is eligible for the GM employee discount?

•Spouse
•Children
•Stepchildren
•Grandchildren
•Stepgrandchildren
•Grandparents (including in-law and step)
•Parents
•Stepparents
•Siblings (including full, half and step)
•Mother-/father-in-law
•Sons-/daughters-in-law
•Brothers-/sisters-in-law
•Same-sex domestic partners (SSDP) of eligible participants also qualify, where applicable. (Note: Eligible SSDPs are treated the same as spouses and, therefore, their eligible family members are also included.) For more information, contact the National Benefits Center at 1.800.489.4646.

Regarding the policy for misuse:

What is the policy for misuse?

Authorization numbers may not be sold or bartered. This program is subject to audit and verification, and misuse will result in sanctions against the GM employee. Violations of these program rules and guidelines by any purchaser may result in sanctions against the eligible participant. Sanctions may include, but are not limited to, the loss of privileges, repayment of monies and/or employment action, up to and including the termination of employment. In addition, legal action may be commenced for violation of program rules.

With all of that said, there are a select few senior level employees who at their discretion can offer GSU discounts to non-GM Employees as part of targeted retention or conquest programs. These are not very easy to come by and there are typically stipulations that accompany the programs.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:44 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You normally need to have a reletive thats a GM emplyee, but as mentioned, 08' was a strange year. I was doing GM contract work that year, and was offered GMS, is purchased the car out of dealer stock, by years end, and show my GM I.D. card. All turned out to be BS, as just called the listed number, and gave me a GMS code, good for 6 months. Had my brother in TX call it, and he got the code too. Got a new Cadillac CTS, and dealer tried to talk him out of it, when came in.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:18 PM
PeteTheGreek
Racer

My dad is a GM retiree. He can go online and get you an authorization number inside of 2 minutes. Just prove that you're related to him.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:44 AM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by PeteTheGreek
My dad is a GM retiree. He can go online and get you an authorization number inside of 2 minutes. Just prove that you're related to him.
I think we're brothers.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:07 AM
Top_Fuel
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I still don't quite get the "employee pricing" thing with some of the forum dealers. My understanding is that GMS pricing is basically worthless now (see this thread for more info).

Some forum dealers have great prices and never mention GMS...other forum dealers say something like "GM employees take another $x,xxx off of my best price!"
Old 11-09-2012, 11:17 AM
GM'er
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 62 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Top_Fuel
I still don't quite get the "employee pricing" thing with some of the forum dealers. My understanding is that GMS pricing is basically worthless now (see this thread for more info).

Some forum dealers have great prices and never mention GMS...other forum dealers say something like "GM employees take another $x,xxx off of my best price!"
As described in the other thread the GMS aka Preferred Price is no big deal. The extra EVA rebate CAN be. It depends on the situation.

There are a couple reasons for this, all having to do with the rules of the program. Please read the other thread for definitions of any of the terms I’m using.

For most of the year, if an employee purchases a vehicle, and uses their employee discount, the dealer is not allowed to sell the car for less than the preferred price. For a regular customer, many of our forum vendors sell under the preferred price anyway. So then it comes down to how far under the preferred price do they sell? Is it enough to make up what you are getting from the EVA rebate.

On past model vehicles (2012's starting in the middle of September this year), dealers can sell to employees under the preferred price, and still use the EVA on top of it, which makes it a better deal.

Getting away from Corvettes’ in particular, since the EVA rebate varies from vehicle to vehicle, the same scenario can make the deal better or worse at any particular time on any particular model.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:14 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by talon90
Member Bill Suttie is absolutely correct. What the OP is asking for is specifically against the rules of the Employee New Vehicle Purchase Program.

This actually is not at all a new rule. In 2008 there was an incentive program going on called GM In the driveway where eligible GM employees could offer a number to allow friends and family to purchase a new GM vehicle at the discount. There is no such employee discount program active currently (or since 2008) for general employees.

With that said, and to be sure that we are all talking about the same thing, A GMS number is an employee discount. A GSU is a GM Supplier discount. There is a difference between the two in both the amount of the discount and the restrictions that apply.

Currently, eligible employees and retirees can share a GSU number with family and friends under the "Supplier for Family and Friends" program.

With respect to employee number (GSM) the following rules apply.

Who is eligible for the GM employee discount?

•Spouse
•Children
•Stepchildren
•Grandchildren
•Stepgrandchildren
•Grandparents (including in-law and step)
•Parents
•Stepparents
•Siblings (including full, half and step)
•Mother-/father-in-law
•Sons-/daughters-in-law
•Brothers-/sisters-in-law
•Same-sex domestic partners (SSDP) of eligible participants also qualify, where applicable. (Note: Eligible SSDPs are treated the same as spouses and, therefore, their eligible family members are also included.) For more information, contact the National Benefits Center at 1.800.489.4646.

Regarding the policy for misuse:

What is the policy for misuse?

Authorization numbers may not be sold or bartered. This program is subject to audit and verification, and misuse will result in sanctions against the GM employee. Violations of these program rules and guidelines by any purchaser may result in sanctions against the eligible participant. Sanctions may include, but are not limited to, the loss of privileges, repayment of monies and/or employment action, up to and including the termination of employment. In addition, legal action may be commenced for violation of program rules.

With all of that said, there are a select few senior level employees who at their discretion can offer GSU discounts to non-GM Employees as part of targeted retention or conquest programs. These are not very easy to come by and there are typically stipulations that accompany the programs.
I agree. The last week of July, 2008, I was able to purchase my 2009 Z06 under the GM In The Driveway promotion. GM employee in Indiana gave me his number so I could get the employee price. I saved a ton of money and it was legal(at that time).
Old 11-09-2012, 01:46 PM
Admiral Ballsy
Racer

Originally Posted by GM'er
As described in the other thread the GMS aka Preferred Price is no big deal.
That's a fact. In the old days it was significant - up to 20% on some models. Most of the cars I bought between '86 and '99 were 15% off base, 18% off options.

On some models now, it's less than $500.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:05 PM
Top_Fuel
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GM'er
As described in the other thread the GMS aka Preferred Price is no big deal. The extra EVA rebate CAN be. It depends on the situation....
Thanks...your post was very helpful.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:26 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Depends on who you talk to on the importance of GMS. Since it's mostly a manufacturers sponsored program, the dealers generally like it. I couldn't use GMS on my 06' ZO6, but could on my 08' daily car. $3K off $29K, plus $2K rebate, $1K loyalty cash for the Vette, and salesmen still got his promised cut. I have no objections to a happy salesman, long as it's not costing me.

Get notified of new replies

To Needing a GMS number for my vette im buying. Any help????

Quick Reply: Needing a GMS number for my vette im buying. Any help????