C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery tender

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 09:10 AM
Runflatred
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Battery tender

Hi folks. I just bought a battery tender for the winter. The instructions say to connect it to the battery but my Vette has a remote positive located near the fuse box. If I have to jump start that's where I would connect the positive. Should I also use the remote positive when I use the battery tender or should I connect to the battery?
Old 10-12-2012, 09:19 AM
jwf
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Others can chime in but I'd say you can use either one; whatever is most convenient and offers a direct connection to the battery. I use a CTEK charger with the ciragrette lighter plug that I connect to the cigarette lighter socket in the center console.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:20 AM
Geno94
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Are you talking about a permanent connection or where to put the clips? Electrically, it won't make any difference. The remote connection is meant to minimize the danger of a spark when connecting jumper cables which could cause a battery explosion.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:48 AM
HighPro
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Runflatred
Hi folks. I just bought a battery tender for the winter. The instructions say to connect it to the battery but my Vette has a remote positive located near the fuse box. If I have to jump start that's where I would connect the positive. Should I also use the remote positive when I use the battery tender or should I connect to the battery?
And the answer is - TA-DA - yes. I have one on my car and mounted it under the hood on the right side. The positive wire is connected to the 'remote positive' and the negative to a bolt (screw) that contacts the frame toward the front head light. Works great. Just take care to have a towel handy to put over the fender to keep the extension cord from rubbing the fender when you plug it in.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:54 AM
Runflatred
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks all. I kinda thought the remote positive is the way to go for the same reason as when you jump it, which is to avoid sparks. Just wanted to make sure the battery would still get "tended" that way.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:57 AM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

just buy one of these for $8 and be done with it. So much easier, just plug it into the Cigarette Lighter and your done. I use mine all the time.

Last edited by Vette_DD; 10-12-2012 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Non-supporting vendor links
Old 10-12-2012, 10:04 AM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

I hooked up the one that has the magnetic hook up in the front bumper opening, I hooked it to the remote too as a permanent install. No issues and so easy, if I forget to unhook it, it just comes off as I back out, so simple.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:11 AM
Corby
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by speedraider
just buy one of these for $8 and be done with it. So much easier, just plug it into the Cigarette Lighter and your done. I use mine all the time.
could not be ez'er.

Last edited by Vette_DD; 10-12-2012 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Quote of Non-supporting vendor links
Old 10-12-2012, 11:00 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Geno94
Are you talking about a permanent connection or where to put the clips? Electrically, it won't make any difference. The remote connection is meant to minimize the danger of a spark when connecting jumper cables which could cause a battery explosion.
That would be a concern because with a spark with battery acid fumes = explosion
Old 10-12-2012, 01:05 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Corby
could not be ez'er.
Actually, there is an easier.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:13 PM
ZR1Cat
Drifting

Received 100 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer
Actually, there is an easier.

]
That thing is cool! Where did you get it and how much? I am not sure I would use it since my battery is in the trunk. I use the GM CTEK with the cig lighter connector.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:24 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Old 10-12-2012, 01:44 PM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ZR1Cat
That thing is cool! Where did you get it and how much? I am not sure I would use it since my battery is in the trunk. I use the GM CTEK with the cig lighter connector.
I have it too, it doesn't connect to the battery anyway, so you will be fine
It is an awesome piece and so easy to use.
Got mine here from forum vendor
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...ry-tender.html

Last edited by mcandrew67; 10-12-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:29 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Please keep these forum guidelines in mind when posting about buying products from a non-supporting vendor that forum vendors sell.

Commercial posting

Supporting vendors pay for the considerable bandwidth charges on the Forum, making it free for the rest of us. In exchange, they get the privilege of using the Forum to market and promote their goods and services.

Members are not prohibited from mentioning it when they have a good (or bad, for that matter) experience with a non-supporting vendor. But such mentions cannot be so specific (address, phone number, e-mail address, URL, price, part number, offer to send contact information via PMs, etc.) or so frequent that they become marketing and promotional references.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:30 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by mcandrew67
I have it too, it doesn't connect to the battery anyway, so you will be fine
It is an awesome piece and so easy to use.
Got mine here from forum vendor
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...ry-tender.html
Old 10-12-2012, 06:07 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,504 Likes on 819 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

get one with the cigarette ligher adapter

Get notified of new replies

To Battery tender

Quick Reply: Battery tender