C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I open my broken glove box?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 12:13 PM
madmxnj
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I open my broken glove box?

So I was thinking of heading up to the Bear Mountain cruise in tonight in upstate NY. Real nice setup on Wednesday nights for anybody within a couple hundred mile radius. I bought a year pass this year since we usually head up a few times each summer and it pays for itself the second time up. So I go to look in the glove box this morning to make sure I have the pass and the glove box doesn’t open. I release and pull the handle again and the handle breaks clean off! I swear I didn’t move for 10 -15 seconds as I was just completely “are you freaking kidding me” shocked. The only complaints I could have made about the vette interior until now is that the seats are so-so comfortable and the navi CD/MP3 player only plays MP3 cds when it feels like it. But this seldom used handle just disintegrating in my hand is ridiculous. I’ve never owned a German car, but now I know what those owners mean about their build quality versus ours.

Enough bellyaching. So how do I get the glove box open? There is a small sliver of the handle still attached, but moving that has no affect (like the first attempt at opening it this morning). I suspect that something inside may be interfering a little with the mechanism. Any ideas? Or can anybody post some pics of what the latch mechanism looks like when its open so I can see which way to jimme if I can slide something in there?

Thanks
Old 08-08-2012, 12:26 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,899 Likes on 1,916 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Just look up there and you will see a piece of metal. Use needlenose pliers and pull it, it will open.

Mine broke also, cashmere. I bought a black one (stronger) from Parts Taxi and had it sent to TKO for hydrocarbon to match the rest of my interior.

Black is cheaper than the cashmere.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:27 PM
Tarl
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

What he said!
Old 08-08-2012, 12:30 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Bfh.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:34 PM
George's_Vette
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Check out post 14 on this active thread for a visual of what the glove box mechanism. Watch the video.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...box-latch.html

George
Twisp, WA
Old 08-08-2012, 07:57 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by wayback
...Mine broke also, cashmere. I bought a black one (stronger) from Parts Taxi...
Get a black one.

I definitely recall that cashmere-colored plastic is more fragile. Sounds strange, I know... couldn't find the thread that discusses it.

Disassembly info: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-box-lock.html

Get notified of new replies

To How do I open my broken glove box?

Quick Reply: How do I open my broken glove box?