C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Base C6 radio upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 12:33 PM
Jazc9
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Base C6 radio upgrade

I have a 2005C6 coupe with xm radio and Bose with no nav, does anyone know what's the best way to plug an iphone/ipad to the system. Thank you.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:06 PM
carl3989
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 549 Likes on 263 Posts
USN

There is a seperate forum site for that give it a try it's the forum's radio/nav. site
Old 08-04-2012, 02:10 PM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by carl3989
There is a seperate forum site for that give it a try it's the forum's radio/nav. site
true and probably 3 people per day post there.

someone here should be able to help you. try a PM to Talon90 or moderator JimTN. They seem to know stuff.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:00 PM
jh61408
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Jazc9
I have a 2005C6 coupe with xm radio and Bose with no nav, does anyone know what's the best way to plug an iphone/ipad to the system. Thank you.

Check this link for the Pal unit for a corvette, It is the best unit out there. It takes minutes to install, Hardest part is running the cord under the carpet. It's a perfect compliment to a iPhone, charges it too.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...te-owners.html
Old 08-04-2012, 10:05 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Your welcome......

http://www.kawal.net/vettemods.htm
Old 08-05-2012, 01:55 AM
Jazc9
Advanced

Thank you for all the replies, but does anyone know if the gm pal will be able to charge and play music from the iPad 3?
Old 08-07-2012, 08:10 PM
jh61408
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Jazc9
Thank you for all the replies, but does anyone know if the gm pal will be able to charge and play music from the iPad 3?
If you are talking about the GM PAL unit from GM dealer, No it won't and it will not even charge the iPhone either. As it does not have the right wattage output from unit to charge it. It only charges the iPods.

The one from Kawal it is a modified GM PAL unit to work with your XM unit and interfaces with it, it will charge your iPhone. It will not change a iPad as the wattage is higher on iPad, I wish it would likewise. I have a USB charger that will change my iPad in my car. I hope this helps.

From what i have read, even though it says NOT charging. It is charging but at a reduced rate, But with limited function. As per Apple web site, "Will they all charge an iPad even when your PC shows "Not Charging"? YES your PC USB will charge your iPad, but very, very slowly because it is 1/4th of what an iPad charger is so it will take 4 times longer than an iPad charger (BUT YOUR SCREEN MUST BE OFF). To test that plug your iPad into your PC USB charger before you go to bed and write down what the battery percentage is and in the morning you will see it went up. Not much, but it will go up some. Reason it says "Not Charging" when you are looking at the screen when plugged into your PC is the USB is basically powering up your screen and doing nothing for the battery."

Here is a break down on charging:

PC USB 5 volts 0.5 amps 2.5 Watts
iPhone Charger 5 volts 1.0 amps 5 Watts
iPad Charger 5.1 volts 2.1 amps 10 watts

Last edited by jh61408; 08-07-2012 at 08:33 PM. Reason: updated info.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:29 PM
dr.stephan
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Do what I did and upgrade to a Kenwood 9990 HD. I now have full Iphone connectivity including Bluetooth, Pandora...ect...

Old 08-07-2012, 10:56 PM
Icetoad
Pro

Check out the Pioneer app radio 2, full integration with android or iphone. Has nav. Use crutchfield to pickup all the gear necessary to swap radios.

I have a pioneer 9300BT with NAV/XM, sounds is great with the bose, though i added a kicker 10 inch self contained sub and amp with easy to release clip so i can remove it from the car when i need the space. It also fits under the roof when i take it off.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:07 PM
JockamoIPA
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 48 Posts

I have a 05 base coupe. I'm on a budget so I recently upgraded to the Pioneer AVH-2400BT. I couldn't be happier. It has full iPhone integration with App mode for Pandora and Bluetooth for wireless connectivity. It can also be expanded to include Nav and rear view camera, but I decided to do without those two extras due to cost. All together I spent $320 for the unit, wire harness, bracket, and antenna connector. Got everything off of Amazon.

I am very satisfied with the interface and sound quality. I was planning on swapping out the speakers as well, but the sound quality with the Pioneer driving the speakers is markedly improved so I will be holding off indefinitely and using those funds elsewhere in the vehicle.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:34 AM
Icetoad
Pro

interesting placement of the mic there, i had best buy put mine in and they put it above the rear view mirror.

Agree 100% with the sound quality statement after upgrade versus stock.

If you ever add sat radio, there is a spot slightly under the hood that's perfect for the antenna if you want to hide the little black box they give you AND get great reception. The NAV one i just stuck on the passenger side and it works fine.

On the backup camera, i was able to get two clearance backup camera's that sony made for $36 each(retail new was like $120) at best buy. I had them install one on the vette and it works great with the pioneer. I had the installer make it so you could look at the video while driving forward too, but its kinda freaky. It was worth the upgrade just for parking in tight spots.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:04 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

My Kenwood unit not only charges my iPhone it charges my iPad and the cord is in my console and long enough that my iPad fits next to the seat and tunnel
Old 08-09-2012, 01:12 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

I still remember listening to that AM radio in the 64 Corvette. Had one speaker in the dash if I remember correctly. Sure was simple.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:00 AM
Jazc9
Advanced

I really like that look. Thank you for posting
Originally Posted by dr.stephan
Do what I did and upgrade to a Kenwood 9990 HD. I now have full Iphone connectivity including Bluetooth, Pandora...ect...

Old 08-09-2012, 04:30 PM
JockamoIPA
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 48 Posts

Hey Icetoad,

I struggled with the mic placement. I thought about placing it in an inconspicuous location since there was more than enough cable that I could have installed it anywhere in the car. The main problem I had was that I wanted the cleanest install I could get so I knew that if I placed it overhead I was going to have to remove the windshield trim in order to properly hide the cable. I also have BB Bullets on the car so there's a lot of background drone when the car is in motion.

I wasn't crazy about all the extra work, but before I went for it I tested the sound quality of the mic reception behind the mirror, up around the driver-side visor, and then right in the middle as seen in the picture. It turned out to be an easy decision. The center location is awesome. Even in low gears when the bullets are singing pretty loud the reception is very good with none of that annoying "what did you say" backtalk from those on the other end of the line.

Originally Posted by Icetoad
interesting placement of the mic there, i had best buy put mine in and they put it above the rear view mirror.

Agree 100% with the sound quality statement after upgrade versus stock.

If you ever add sat radio, there is a spot slightly under the hood that's perfect for the antenna if you want to hide the little black box they give you AND get great reception. The NAV one i just stuck on the passenger side and it works fine.

On the backup camera, i was able to get two clearance backup camera's that sony made for $36 each(retail new was like $120) at best buy. I had them install one on the vette and it works great with the pioneer. I had the installer make it so you could look at the video while driving forward too, but its kinda freaky. It was worth the upgrade just for parking in tight spots.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:42 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,091 Likes on 660 Posts

Another vote for Kenwood. I would just recommend that you buy a remanufactured 9980 (last year's model) for about half the price of a new 9990. They have more features than the 2012 models. I wish the forum vendor had not talked me into spending twice the money for a 2012 unit whose main feature is not usable because the harness is not available and no word on when it will ever be.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:03 PM
Icetoad
Pro

I agree, they are pain to place, thats why i had best buy do it. The only time people complain is when i have the A/C fans on high, which is probably the first 2-3 minutes i am in the car. Its set to auto, so i basically turn it to low if i hop on the phone or wait till the fans die down( i have it set on auto temp ).

Glad you found a spot though. I dont have those on my car, so i cant compare.

Originally Posted by JockamoIPA
Hey Icetoad,

I struggled with the mic placement. I thought about placing it in an inconspicuous location since there was more than enough cable that I could have installed it anywhere in the car. The main problem I had was that I wanted the cleanest install I could get so I knew that if I placed it overhead I was going to have to remove the windshield trim in order to properly hide the cable. I also have BB Bullets on the car so there's a lot of background drone when the car is in motion.

I wasn't crazy about all the extra work, but before I went for it I tested the sound quality of the mic reception behind the mirror, up around the driver-side visor, and then right in the middle as seen in the picture. It turned out to be an easy decision. The center location is awesome. Even in low gears when the bullets are singing pretty loud the reception is very good with none of that annoying "what did you say" backtalk from those on the other end of the line.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:52 PM
Jazc9
Advanced

How did you get the lcorvette on the screen?QUOTE=Flame Red;1581528454]Another vote for Kenwood. I would just recommend that you buy a remanufactured 9980 (last year's model) for about half the price of a new 9990. They have more features than the 2012 models. I wish the forum vendor had not talked me into spending twice the money for a 2012 unit whose main feature is not usable because the harness is not available and no word on when it will ever be.

[/QUOTE]
Old 08-11-2012, 08:56 AM
Icetoad
Pro

On the pioneers you can set a background image, probably the same thing the kenwood. Just load it into the system with a memory stick assuming the kenwood has one.

Get notified of new replies

To Base C6 radio upgrade

Quick Reply: Base C6 radio upgrade