C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FINALLY! New Revisions for the GM PAL (Personal Audio Link)! For ALL C6 Vette owners

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 09:15 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default FINALLY! New Revisions for the GM PAL (Personal Audio Link)! For ALL C6 Vette owners

When the GM PAL became available to Corvette owners last July, it quickly became the best and most popular iPod interface available. But it was available only for owners with factory Nav and XM, and the installation was far more difficult than other aftermarket iPod adapters. For the past few months, I’ve been working with the team at Mediatronics Corp., the designer and builder of the PAL for General Motors, along with GM themselves, who together have been exceptionally responsive to suggestions, ideas, and problem solving in order to evolve the best possible iPod interface for the Corvette. We can finally announce some significant revisions to the original PAL that result in a greatly improved product.

There are plans to provide an online retail outlet for purchasing future PALs, but prior to that time, I have a limited number of PAL kits (with an upgraded software release) that I can offer for the purpose of getting feedback from C6 Corvette owners. This feedback will provide a basis for determining the final software and hardware configuration in the next generation of iPod interfaces for the Corvette and other GM vehicles. Your experience and comments regarding the installation and operation of the PALs will become most valuable in this design process.

Here are the features of the PAL (ver 2.0) kit that I can offer:

The PAL module includes revised software, and the module can be installed in all C6 Corvettes with the US8 base radio with single CD, US9 radio with 6 CD changer, and the U3U Nav radio. All three of these radios are XM compatible. XM may or may not be present, as the revised software will sense which radio is present and whether or not XM is installed. The software will create the XM1/2 softkeys even if the XM receiver is not present.

My harness for connection at the XM receiver will be included for all applications that have the XM cable located at the left rear wheel well for coupe/Z06s and at the waterfall for convertibles. For those cars without the factory XM harness, you will have to use the standard PAL installation harness for connection in back of the radio or Nav unit. That harness will be included for those applications upon request. Since these will be non-XM applications, it WILL NOT be necessary to connect the “dreaded” XM serial data wire spliced into the factory wiring harness.

The two RCA jacks on the PAL module are activated for an Auxiliary In connection that will allow you to connect other music devices to your Corvette audio system. These jacks provide audio in, but not charging of the device.

An interim operating manual will be included for the non-Nav radio application and the standard Nav radio operating manual will be included for factory Nav applications. A supplemental instruction sheet will be included for the operation of the Auxiliary In connection.

A new 6’ iPod cable will be included that will provide 5V USB charging for all iPods, iTouches, and iPhones (with the exception of the much older Gen 3 iPod products – if you still use this type of Apple product, let me know and I can include the original Firewire based 12 volt cable). In addition, a 6’ extension cable will be included that can be connected between the PAL module and the iPod cable to extend the iPod connection as far as 12’ from the PAL module. This will enable iPod installations most anywhere in the center console area even in the coupe/Z06s.

Updated software is included to eliminate some issues with operation slowdown when using large format hard drive iPods (such as the 80 gb and 160 gb Classic) with large music libraries and also resolves some past issues with PAL lockup when buttons are pushed too quickly and overload the XM communication path.

This PAL (version 2.0) kit is described in detail with photos and ordering information on the following website:

http://www.kawal.net/PAL Rev 2.htm

Here's a photo of the complete new PAL kit:

Anyone interested in one of these new PAL kits can contact me via email (much faster response than PMs) and I’m hopeful that you will provide feedback after you install and gain some experience with the new PAL. Mediatronics will utilize your information to modify the PAL code base in future software releases or generations of the Personal Audio Link.

Ray
Old 02-24-2010, 09:31 PM
Eritosthenes
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

You've done an outstanding job of engineering an after-market product that's sure to be very popular and should sell well.

Now that you're not doing anything else (), may I suggest you begin design work on a companion product that will allow us to retrofit a factory-equivalent Bluetooth capability into any pre-2009 C6.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:34 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by LS3 MN6
Two Questions Ray.

One can I just get a 5V Cable?
Two can I have my current PAL unit upgraded?
Yes to both questions, but I don't have prices for either the cable or the upgrade yet. As you read on the website, I won't have any units to ship until I return home, but I should have extra cables with no problems and they will be a good deal.

The current PAL software can also be upgraded at a reasonable price (to be determined), but knowing the workload on Mediatronics right now, I can't give you a date or a procedure right now.

There are backorders of PAL modules now being filled and it is a lot of work for a small (but very qualified) company.

Your questions were anticipated, and I'll get the answers posted as soon as I can.

I was a little reluctant to announce this new revision before I could actually ship, but I've been getting so many emails that I thought the timing was OK.

Ray
Old 02-24-2010, 09:40 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by Eritosthenes
You've done an outstanding job of engineering an after-market product that's sure to be very popular and should sell well.

Now that you're not doing anything else (), may I suggest you begin design work on a companion product that will allow us to retrofit a factory-equivalent Bluetooth capability into any pre-2009 C6.
It's already being worked on! And I want one in my own '07 Z06!

There are some key people in Mediatronics that need about 48 hours in their every workday. If I could convince them to omit sleeping for a while, we'd have that Bluetooth product now!

But it's likely a number of months away.

Ray

Last edited by kawal; 02-24-2010 at 10:23 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:45 PM
GS Haxor
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah heck, I JUST ordered a PAL and also a harness from you Ray. Guess I should have waited a week.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:01 PM
1FUNC5
Le Mans Master

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

I too will be waiting to get the upgraded cable and software for the pal I just purchased last week. Ray, if you would drop me an email as soon as you know something on either one.
Steven Pope (1func5@bellsouth.net)
Old 02-24-2010, 10:03 PM
jcapps
Drifting

Received 546 Likes on 168 Posts

Very cool especially the future bluetooth
Old 02-24-2010, 10:05 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by LS3 MN6
Sounds good.

Looks like I'll be upgrading my cable and unit when the parts are available.

Is there a grommet on the new 5V cable like the stock one, it's hard to tell in the photo?

Thanks, and as always you provide a great deal of information and expertise on such things.
There is not a grommet on the cable. I requested no grommet because most people will not use the grommet.

However, if I find that owners want a grommet, I'm confident we can supply one. That is the main purpose of offering these pre-production kits - to get feedback from owners about what they want and don't want.

Ray
Old 02-24-2010, 10:11 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by 1FUNC5
I too will be waiting to get the upgraded cable and software for the pal I just purchased last week. Ray, if you would drop me an email as soon as you know something on either one.
Steven Pope (1func5@bellsouth.net)
Regarding the updated software, please keep in mind that if your current PAL works well for you, as over 90% probably do, there is not much point in upgrading the software. The software improvement corrected a few issues, but most PAL owners don't experience those issues. The updated software includes the Aux In, but again, most owners with an iPod don't need that option.

The new cables will be easy to supply, but upgrading the software obviously requires a more complicated procedure - which we don't have yet.

Ray
Old 02-24-2010, 10:14 PM
1FUNC5
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by kawal
Regarding the updated software, please keep in mind that if your current PAL works well for you, as over 90% probably do, there is not much point in upgrading the software. The software improvement corrected a few issues, but most PAL owners don't experience those issues. The updated software includes the Aux In, but again, most owners with an iPod don't need that option.

The new cables will be easy to supply, but upgrading the software obviously requires a more complicated procedure - which we don't have yet.

Ray
cool... definately let me know when the cables are available...
Steven
Old 02-24-2010, 10:15 PM
lawnmore
Racer

Default Wow!!

Originally Posted by kawal
It's already being worked on! And I want one in my own '07 Z06!

There are some key people in Mediatronics that need about 48 hours in their every workday. If I could convince them to omit sleeping for a while, we'd have that Bluetooth product now!

Ray
How cool is this. I am a recently new owner of an 07 coupe. I got a PAL and then a harness from Ray ( 15 min no brainer plug and play install) and have been enjoying my iPod ever since. I have been searching for an after market Bluetooth solution for hands free reception and transmission of cell phone calling. Nothing out there interfaces with the factory nav screen. I was ready to give up on the idea.I would like to be in line for a system like this as soon as it is available, please advise. Although I am having no problems with my PAL,anything that would make it more enjoyable would be welcomed. Thanks Ray
Old 02-24-2010, 11:17 PM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Email sent
Old 02-24-2010, 11:43 PM
mdbrowning
Advanced

Default Put me on the list please

Ray,

I sent you an email to please put me on the list as soon as they are available.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:15 AM
Enchanter
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

RAY!!!!

I just logged in to write a review for you and I saw this thread. I'll just put it here.

Short story:
I purchased a PAL from another Forum Vendor and a cable from Ray. PAL and cable arrive. Once installed, the car radio/nav unit will not recognize the XM radio or PAL. I email Ray because I suspected that it was his cable. After a few emails Ray tells me that he suspects a defective PAL, and I agree. Ray the explains that he has had a new PAL sent to me and asks if that is OK. OK? OK? Oh hell yeah it's OK!!!! The new PAL has arrived, been installed, and works!

Longer story:
Ray was on vacation in Hawaii the entire time. I placed the order expecting to wait until he returned home before he shipped it out. I was shocked that he not only replied to my initial email while he was on vacation, but he also had his son ship the cable to me.

Ray promptly replied to multiple emails while on vacation. That is above and beyond normal customer service.

Ray calls a third party and arranges to have a replacement PAL shipped to me at no additional cost to me! Waaaay beyond what most business owners would do for a customer that walks into their store, let alone some random person in another state.

Ray called me to check on the situation. I sound like a broken record here...above and beyond what any other business owner would do.

Ray,

Thank you! I am amazed at your level of customer service and the level of concern and commitment to taking care of your customer. I have never experienced this from any business owner or employee. Thank you!

I'll happily do business with you again. What else do you sell? Tires? I'll buy them. Stereo systems? I'll buy. Brakes? Where do I send the $? I eagerly await the BlueTooth adapter and anything else you offer. I'd love to have my Valentine1 integrated into the HUD. I'll send you cash now!

Thank you for all of your assistance. Expect an email from me soon!

I just got your email regarding PAL harnesses. I'll happily send mine to you.

Tim
Old 02-25-2010, 02:14 AM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Tim,

Thank you for the kind words. I really enjoy helping other Corvette enthusiasts, and we all are rather tired of getting poor service in the normal course of doing business - so I try hard to be responsive to problems.

But one of the reasons that I can be responsive is because the team I work with at Mediatronics backs me up so well. If there is a question about a defective PAL module, it is replaced and they will find out later what is wrong. As long as I can get that kind of support from them, I can pass along a quick response to others.

Thanks again, and I'm glad your PAL is now working great.

Ray
Old 02-25-2010, 02:24 AM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by mdbrowning
Ray,

I sent you an email to please put me on the list as soon as they are available.
When I receive an email requesting interest in the new revision 2 PAL, I put it in a new folder. When I complete the testing and have units available for shipping, I will reply to those emails so you can decide whether or not to order.

It is much easier replying to emails than PMs or posts on the thread.

Thank you,

Ray
Old 02-25-2010, 08:04 AM
09C6Coupe
Racer

Any chance a video jack will be added or some sort of native video support for iPod/iPhone through the iPod/iPhone cable?

Get notified of new replies

To FINALLY! New Revisions for the GM PAL (Personal Audio Link)! For ALL C6 Vette owners

Old 02-25-2010, 08:47 AM
ALVetteFan
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Ray,

Thank you for working to provide valuable information and updates. I have the original PAL module and your wiring harness. I too may be interested in the software upgrade when it becomes available. In terms of future upgrades, here are a couple of things on my wish list. Maybe GM will be willing to consider these. If a video input could be added down the road that would be great. I understand it would have to be disabled when the car is moving. Also, if a very small backup camera could somehow be integrated into the CHMSL and displayed on the NAV screen that would be a nice addition.

Thanks again.

Richard
Old 02-25-2010, 08:50 AM
AD2VET
Melting Slicks

CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Count me in
Old 02-25-2010, 08:53 AM
1FUNC5
Le Mans Master

I second the motion on the rear view camera!

Quick Reply: FINALLY! New Revisions for the GM PAL (Personal Audio Link)! For ALL C6 Vette owners