C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My clutch doesn't want to be anymore.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 08:40 AM
carl3989
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 547 Likes on 262 Posts
USN

Default My clutch doesn't want to be anymore.

Went out to my 08 on Thursday afternoon. pushed in the clutch hit the starter button and = Whoa Nelly!. The vette lurched back. As I took my foot off the pedal it decided it didn't want to play anymore and stayed down. Next morning my local mechanic came over and examined the clutch fluid reservoir. Wow, I've seen yukky looking liquids before, but usually in a cesspool. Mechanic says that either the master or the slave cylinder of the clutch hydaulic system died and its liquified remains are now disbursed in the clutch hydraulic fluid. So now the joy of contacting the dealer starts. Dealer says the slave is warranted under GM certified used warranty (less than a year since purchased), but the master is not.The master is a wear item like brakes or clutch linings. However they will not be able to know until they examine them next week. It being a holiday weekend they won't tow the car until sometime on Tuesday. Guess I'm lucky this happened in my driveway. Weird eh? Less than 25000 miles, never raced and no sign of a problem.Until one day you push the pedal down and the clutch doesn't want to be a clutch anymore.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:54 AM
Jimmy C-6
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Have you ever changed the clutch fluid? You might try Rangers technique, since you can't drive it.
http://www.rangeracceleration.com/Clutch_Care.html
Old 05-26-2012, 09:01 AM
fast-vette
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The same thing happened to my '08 vert very recently. Parts replaced and labor was covered by warranty. I have 12,300 on the car. Good luck.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:03 AM
Jimmy C-6
Pro

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

You also might try the newer method.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...er-method.html
Old 05-26-2012, 09:05 AM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 475 Likes on 243 Posts

Should be part of your 5 year 100,000 mile power-train warranty. I would suggest in the future you start a program of changing the clutch reservoir fluid on a regular basis, quarterly would be good.

Just an FYI the labor to get to the part runs around $1,700.00.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:27 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I really fail to see where this 'newer' method is markedly better than Ranger's method. The whole point of pumping the clutch numerous times after putting new fluid in is to flush the lines a bit more, accomplishing the same thing.

If, after you've done a refill or two, the fluid stays clear for a long time after, what is the difference?

This is the one I've been using from Walmart and it is the same one Ranger uses.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:31 AM
Triumph Jerry
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy C-6
Have you ever changed the clutch fluid? You might try Rangers technique, since you can't drive it.

Gotta do the Ranger Method at least once a year on a M6.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:28 AM
carl3989
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

USN

Default Unfortunately I never knew this fluid had a potential for problems.

Racer's technique leads me to believe that my problem is too far gone. The slave cylinder is probably so far gone that the only cure is replacement.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:29 AM
Jimmy C-6
Pro

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

wouldn't hurt to try.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:20 PM
Mtnvettes
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A question about the clutch dust. Last October, just before putting my 08 vert into storage, I missed a downshift (from 6 to 3 instead of 6 to 5) while going up a mountain pass. I immediately pushed the clutch pedal in, but got a burning odor. The odor lasted for awhile and I took the Corvette to a dealer with a World Class Tech. Test drove it and found no problem. After removing from storage in May, I started the Corvette without moving it and immediately smelled the burning odor, but it went away quickly. Took it to the dealer and they parked it for 5 days before starting it; no odor, but they did not drive it. I was able to reproduce the odor by "riding the clutch" on a hill while waiting for a traffic lite to change, and again, while waiting for my garage door to open. I never had this odor since purchasing the Corvette new; 15K miles on it now.

Talked it over with the Corvette Center south of Colorado Springs and they suspect that it is clutch dust that is source of the odor. I plan to inspect the clutch fluid this next week as described in the above posts.

Based on the posts above, I suspect that brake dust is the culprit and and also suspect that the dust may have entered the fluid. I was wondering if any of the authors of the above posts smelled the dust odor at any time?

Thanks for the excellent post on changing the clutch fluid. I rarely drive any of my Corvettes aggressively, but the missed downshift (first time that has happened in my 50+ years of driving Corvettes) has me worried about the problem. If the fluid is clear, I assume that the dust has not infiltrated the fluid. BTW, how long does it take for the clutch dust to dissipate under normal driving conditions, does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks again for this thread.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:24 PM
carl3989
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

USN

Default I agree.

wouldn't hurt to try.
I will go to Wallymart and get the syringe and dot4. Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:27 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by carl3989
I will go to Wallymart and get the syringe and dot4. Thanks for the advice.
Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:46 PM
rayk
Drifting

Mine looked real close to that at 5,300 miles. Clutch was real grabby. Did the Ranger method and it was silky smooth then.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:38 PM
JRS_MY_C5
Pro

On the video, he says that it takes two hours to change the brake fluid using his method. Why? Do you have to do it several times to get all the contaminants out?

J.R.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:20 AM
Triumph Jerry
Pro

Originally Posted by JRS_MY_C5
On the video, he says that it takes two hours to change the brake fluid using his method. Why? Do you have to do it several times to get all the contaminants out?

J.R.
When I bought my '09 (2 years old) I had to change it 20 times.
No big deal, ...it's so easy.
Change it 6-8 times, then once every week or 2 after driving instead of pumping the peddle.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:35 AM
Triumph Jerry
Pro

Originally Posted by Mtnvettes
A question about the clutch dust. Last October, just before putting my 08 vert into storage, I missed a downshift (from 6 to 3 instead of 6 to 5) while going up a mountain pass. I immediately pushed the clutch pedal in, but got a burning odor. The odor lasted for awhile and I took the Corvette to a dealer with a World Class Tech. Test drove it and found no problem. After removing from storage in May, I started the Corvette without moving it and immediately smelled the burning odor, but it went away quickly. Took it to the dealer and they parked it for 5 days before starting it; no odor, but they did not drive it. I was able to reproduce the odor by "riding the clutch" on a hill while waiting for a traffic lite to change, and again, while waiting for my garage door to open. I never had this odor since purchasing the Corvette new; 15K miles on it now.

Talked it over with the Corvette Center south of Colorado Springs and they suspect that it is clutch dust that is source of the odor. I plan to inspect the clutch fluid this next week as described in the above posts.

Based on the posts above, I suspect that brake dust is the culprit and and also suspect that the dust may have entered the fluid. I was wondering if any of the authors of the above posts smelled the dust odor at any time?

Thanks again for this thread.

If you live in Colorado and drive the mountain passes I would suspect the smell would be overheating by lugging the engine.
I always have the DIC (driver information center) set on coolant temp when driving through mountains.
When the guage rizes drop a gear.
I always noticed the smell when the temp rizes.
Clutch dust and high clutch fluid temps are ever present in the C6 ...do the Ranger Method at least once a year.
BTW when you inspect the clutch fluid, ...it will be black.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:32 AM
Jimmy C-6
Pro

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by JRS_MY_C5

J.R.
On the video he says it takes 2 hours per year.

Get notified of new replies

To My clutch doesn't want to be anymore.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:46 AM
steig
Drifting

Received 231 Likes on 197 Posts

I had an 07 Corvette that had the same issue. Slave cylinder went bad. Now have a 12 Corvette and will keep eye on the brake fluid.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:35 PM
carl3989
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

USN

Default So I did the Ranger procedure....

...but after a bottle of Prestone DOT4 I was unable to see any contaminants. However the pedal would still not return on its own. Guess they'll have to tow it to the dealer, eh? Here's another thing that I don't understand, why I never knew that this fluid needed to be changed so often? This is the first I ever read about it on the Forum, let alone was I ever told by the dealer, it's just leaves a bad taste for this whole Vette expierience.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:38 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Default Never raced ?

Just because you haven't, doesn't mean the original owner didn't. I was victimized by this exact issue on the '09 I bought used. That's why I traded it after owning it for only 3 mos.

Quick Reply: My clutch doesn't want to be anymore.