C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust - Replace Muffler

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 10:39 AM
Voodoo GS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12
Default Exhaust - Replace Muffler

Hey guys,

I am thinking about changing my non-NPP exhaust out for something a little different. I want it to still be tame at idle and when cruising, but want it a little bit deeper.

I don't really want to spend over a grand on a new exhaust, so I was thinking about replacing the muffler with a magnaflow or dynomax, etc. Also, I do not want any drone, so dynomax bullets are out of the equation.

I know I need 2.5" in/ 2.5" out, offset, but what size would be best? I couldn't find much on youtube, but any sound or video clips would be great.

Thanks and have a safe and happy Memorial Day. God Bless our military.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:45 AM
08LS3Vette
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you had NPP exhaust before? Or do you not want it? On my last C6 I had non-NPP and switched to SLP Loudmouth 1's. It was noticeably louder but still pretty tame for a straight through. On my current C6 I have the NPP and couldn't be happier. With mild to wild its loud when I want and super quiet when I want. Best of both worlds. There's a clip in that thread. Granted it's with LT's and X pipe but you get a feel for how different the two modes are.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...h-npp-m2w.html
Old 05-25-2012, 10:50 AM
tampatopless
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just replaced the stock muffler on my 2006 Vert with a used NPP off a 2008 Coupe. I got the muffler for about $500 or so, another $175 for the mild to wild controller kit and then a couple of hundred to install everything. I'm under $1,000 all in.

The only reason my install was so high is that running the vacuum line to the controller took longer than expected.

The actual muffler install is a snap. It's a bolt-on if you go with the OEM NPP muffler and you just lower that rear sway bar. But if you go used, make sure you get it off a C6 non-Z because I think the pipes are different size. Not sure, though

Now as for sound, the controller makes it quiet if you want. The only way to describe the sound when it's loud is that it is very American muscle-like. No drone to speak of.

Under throttle at the loud setting, it's bad-azzz.

And while there is no horsepower increase to speak of, you think the car is stronger off the line or when you floor it when you have it set to loud because there is an automatic auditory response that you can hear when you hit the accelerator. Your mind associates the sound with the increase in speed and it's a great feeling.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:58 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

NPP or used Corsa Sports will do the trick

Old 05-25-2012, 01:41 PM
Voodoo GS
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '12

I have thought about NPP, but wanted to see about replacing the mufflers first. If that doesn't work out I will go the NPP route.

Does Magnaflow have any drone to it on the highway? Im talking about their regular mufflers, not the magnapacks.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:54 PM
ricknyc23
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check the SLP Powerflo
Old 05-26-2012, 01:59 AM
AtHomeSoda
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bluews6
I have thought about NPP, but wanted to see about replacing the mufflers first. If that doesn't work out I will go the NPP route.

Does Magnaflow have any drone to it on the highway? Im talking about their regular mufflers, not the magnapacks.
Just go NPP to start with, save money and time... They all drone that sound great... with NPP you can have it both ways... love mine.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:17 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

#14336 Magnaflow mufflers fit. But doing the swap is expensive, you have to buy the mufflers (and tips unless you weld your old tips to the new mufflers) and pay someone to cut and weld the axleback piping. You'll be very unpleasantly surprised at how expensive mufflers and tips are.

You will have drone.

Your best buy is a used Z06 complete exhaust, next best a used NPP if you want sound without drone.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:36 AM
04_Z06_CE
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so magnaflows drone as well?
Old 05-26-2012, 11:05 AM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

Changing mufflers to something more aggressive is going to get you some kind of drone. Of course, drone is a very subjective perception. Just be aware.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:39 AM
greenie99
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 04_Z06_CE
so magnaflows drone as well?

Magnaflows on 07 and never a drone!

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust - Replace Muffler

Quick Reply: Exhaust - Replace Muffler