C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clear bra on Centennial Edition?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 07:24 AM
flashburn
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear bra on Centennial Edition?

I spent a while searching for pics, but couldn't find any. Does anyone have any high-res pics of their Centennial Edition with a clear bra on it? I'm concerned with how the stripes were handled.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:53 AM
chsia
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently had clear bra done to my GS CE entire hood and front end. The installer test fitted the XPEL Ultimate on the matte stripe and could hardly see the stripe any more, so I decided to go no clear bra on the stripe. Not sure about other clear bra brands.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:27 AM
flashburn
Racer

Originally Posted by chsia
I recently had clear bra done to my GS CE entire hood and front end. The installer test fitted the XPEL Ultimate on the matte stripe and could hardly see the stripe any more, so I decided to go no clear bra on the stripe. Not sure about other clear bra brands.
That's good to know. I'd be getting Xpel Ultimate if I do get a clear bra. What about the little bit in between the two stripes, did he cut a portion to cover that, or is it bare? How do the lines look along the stripes where the clear bra meets it?
Old 03-31-2012, 10:34 AM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

I dont have a centennial edition but i have a couple of the GT1 corvettes and an 04 Z06 Z16. All three cars have factory stripes on the hoods and i have been concerned about the clear bras damaging the stripes in the event the clear bra had to be removed? Does anybody have any experience with clear bras over the factory stripes of any of the corvettes?
Old 03-31-2012, 11:42 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flashburn
I spent a while searching for pics, but couldn't find any. Does anyone have any high-res pics of their Centennial Edition with a clear bra on it? I'm concerned with how the stripes were handled.
The stripes are flat black, no way you can lay the clear guard of any kind without noticing it and if the stripes start peeling, you will have a mess. If you have clear guard around the vinyl, that will look odd as well and will cost you a fortune. Your only alternative would be to peel all relevant vinyl off, lay the film on the entire panel and then install new vinyl over it but I bet that will cost more than pocket change
Old 03-31-2012, 12:21 PM
Slick64
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I posted up a thread and did my entire car. The film was put right to the edge of the stripes, and he did do the center portion between them. Even on the top.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...w-up-pics.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...tion-done.html

Last edited by Slick64; 03-31-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:16 PM
ritzz06
Advanced

Originally Posted by Slick64
I posted up a thread and did my entire car. The film was put right to the edge of the stripes, and he did do the center portion between them. Even on the top.

I didn't think I would see an entire "Vette done, but what a great way to go! I had the front end, mirrors done when I took delivery & just finished doing the rocker, front, rear fender areas myself. I do NOT recommend doing this stuff yourself although the material is very forgiving & super tough, it's really having experience & lots of patience. I've waxed it 5 or 6 times & it looks the same as the non-filmed areas except no swirls. I was wondering how it would be to do the entire car, & lo & behold, you've done it! Congrats!!
Old 03-31-2012, 01:54 PM
flashburn
Racer

Nice. So the middle strip of clear bra looks fine? What brand was used?
Old 03-31-2012, 02:15 PM
Slick64
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice. So the middle strip of clear bra looks fine? What brand was used?
I think Venture Shield, but Thom used a few different cuts. He's listed in the threads and would be happy to let you know.

I do know the car looks great, cleans up easy, and most people would never know I did the whole car unless I point out the film for them. I don't regret it one bit, and am very glad I did it.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:43 PM
flashburn
Racer

I think Venture Shield, but Thom used a few different cuts. He's listed in the threads and would be happy to let you know.

I do know the car looks great, cleans up easy, and most people would never know I did the whole car unless I point out the film for them. I don't regret it one bit, and am very glad I did it.
Cool, thanks. This alleviates my concerns quite a bit.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:55 PM
Texas_Venom
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool, thanks. This alleviates my concerns quite a bit.
I used both Xpel Ultimate and VentureShield ultra on the car. More photos can be seen at www.pro-tectmobile.com. About to work on another CE for the Lone Star Classic. Beautiful cars... wish I owned one myself.

Get notified of new replies

To Clear bra on Centennial Edition?

Quick Reply: Clear bra on Centennial Edition?