C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Current Thinking on Rear Hinge Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 07:11 AM
TkitPlz
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Current Thinking on Rear Hinge Replacement

I did a search and saw that this topic has been discussed a couple of times. I just got my Vette out from its winter sleep and after the Onstar check of all functions, I was reminded I haven't done the rear hinge replacement per the recall notice. I'm thinking I'm not going to do it for fear of incompetent work at the local dealership. I'm curious what others think of doing this recall work? Has anyone heard of any accidents where there have been injuires due to failing hinges? Is this a lot of hype? Thanks. Dan
Old 03-24-2012, 10:05 PM
v1 rot8
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

I am dragging my feet on getting that re-call done as well on my 5 month old car for the same reason. I sure would not like it if they damaged the paint or something worse.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:24 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,458 Likes on 2,274 Posts

Originally Posted by v1 rot8
I am dragging my feet on getting that re-call done as well on my 5 month old car for the same reason. I sure would not like it if they damaged the paint or something worse.

I've wondered the same thing. As I understand the recall, the hinges should be replaced because in certain circumstances in a collision, the hinges may fail.

Those hinges would probably be the least of my worries in the case of a hard collision.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:36 PM
RO55
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had mine replaced at my local Dealer, thank God they have a great guy that works on all the Corvettes! It took him about 40 minutes, removed & replaced one at a time so he did not remove rear hatch - all went smooth.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:34 AM
jluke
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the recall done on Thursday. It took the tech. about an hour to remove the rear window, remove the two hinges and reinstall the new hinges and hang the window. I watched the whole process, he was very careful and did a great job. He placed masking tape along the exposed edges. No pain, no damage, done right!
Old 03-25-2012, 08:54 AM
CyberGrayGS
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not going to have mine done. The fit and finish around the hatch on my car is excellent, and even under the best conditions, a whole bunch of things could go wrong - not worth the risk IMHO.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:20 PM
John Harry
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 270 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Your choice, but remember that when you sell the car a check will show a recall that was never done. A potential buyer might interpret that as sign of a seller who didn't take care of the car.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:30 PM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 238 Posts

Go to a dealer that is known to do Corvette work-check with local club. I have used just about every dealer in the area for different repairs with no bad things happening. Well OK one time they broke the underside of the rocker panel-but the fix was good.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:02 PM
rayk
Drifting

Originally Posted by John Harry
Your choice, but remember that when you sell the car a check will show a recall that was never done. A potential buyer might interpret that as sign of a seller who didn't take care of the car.
I'll wait until I sell it then. Right now the fit is perfect and the finish unmarred.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:20 PM
Nice Ride
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

Have a 8 mo old 2011 and just got my 2nd reminder from Chevy to replace the hinges. I keep my car in perfect condition and it has never seen rain. Last thing I want is to get it scratched up at the dealership. Like what RO55 said and if I could get it done that way I will consider it. The hinges work fine the issue is the strength of the steel. Chevy just used a run of steel that didn't meet specs and it "may" brake quicker in a collision. These cars are not tanks and there is a part of me that feels like if I get hit hard enough to brake concealed hinges I am going to have bigger issues. That said, safety first, my other car is a Volvo. I will get the recall done when I am satisfied the technician will not damage the car.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:35 PM
johnebgoode
Racer

Originally Posted by John Harry
Or he could think the way most people here on the forum think. Not worth the risk. Besides how many Vette owners don't take enough pride in their vehicle to eliminate the possibility of someone thinking we don't take care of our cars. Just my .02.
BTW....I'm not going to bring mine back either.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:41 PM
jversluis
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

HAVING MINE DONE TUES. iTS A ONE HOUR JOB AND THE TECH HAS DONE ALOT. DONT SEE THE BIG ISSUE. GET IT FIXED BY SOMEONE YOU TRUST, AND NO ISSUES
Old 03-26-2012, 10:16 PM
wwwFLA
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RO55
Had mine replaced at my local Dealer, thank God they have a great guy that works on all the Corvettes! It took him about 40 minutes, removed & replaced one at a time so he did not remove rear hatch - all went smooth.
What dealer please and who is the guy.
Thank you.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:32 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,458 Likes on 2,274 Posts

My GS goes in Thurs to swap the stock pads to Carbotech Monoblocks. I'm sure they will hit me up for this. They've already done several, with no issues. And they are a really good crew and have always done me right.

I might let 'em do it.

Just seems a bit like overkill to be worrying about a hinge that "may" fail in a hard collision. Like I'm going to really give a sh*t about my hatch hinge in a hard collision. I'd probably have a few other items above that one on my mental list of things to worry about.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:37 PM
stargate
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not gonna do it.....
Old 03-26-2012, 11:30 PM
Silverado Desperado
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What year models are being recalled for the hinge replacements?
Old 03-26-2012, 11:33 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

you might want to check out this older thread discussing this specific hinge recall matter; I stand by my previous comments...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...h+hinge+recall

Get notified of new replies

To Current Thinking on Rear Hinge Replacement

Quick Reply: Current Thinking on Rear Hinge Replacement