C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 mn6 Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 05:39 PM
DickM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 05 mn6 Won't Start

Gentlemen- This is my 2005's THIRD trip to the local Chevy dealer on a flatbed. So far- new battery (old one was due to be replaced). Worked for awhile- 2nd trip they couldn't find anything- said it was fine. 3rd trip- I am telling them it has to be the steering column lock unit. I have read dozens of threads concerning this, and I am positive that it needs to be replaced. They said the BCM was bad- not communicating so they replaced it ($800). I arrived to pick up the car- it was DEAD. 10 days later- now they want to tear the DASH apart and check the modules/wiring on the firewall! This was on the recommendation of Chevy Tech (at corporate I guess). They say there is nothing in the "database" about this problem? I am telling them to REPLACE the Steering Column Lock Unit. Your thoughts?
Old 01-05-2012, 05:56 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 546 Likes on 378 Posts

trade it for a new 1.job done.you can buy a new 1 faster than they can fix a old 1.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:03 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

If you tell them what to replace and not to touch anything else I can't see why they would argue that. If your sure that's what it is then I think your doing the right thing by TELLING them to replace the SCL.

Last edited by EVRose; 01-05-2012 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:09 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I'm guessing you don't have the GMPP. If not why not take it to a Corvette specialty shop? It sounds like your dealer doesn't know what their doing and throwing parts at it at your expense. Ask them why you should pay for a BCM when that wasn't the problem?
Old 01-05-2012, 11:58 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Are you familiar with the phenomenon that's become known here as "Dead Battery Syndrome" (DBS)? (That's a term that was coined here on the forum; it's not an "official" GM term so your dealer probably won't be familiar with the term.) DBS affected a good number of 2005 Corvettes with manual transmission. (Mine had it.) What happens is that even when the car is properly shut down (with the shifter in reverse), some of the electronics sometimes continue to draw considerably more power from the battery than they're supposed to. This isn't something that happens every time the car is shut down; in fact, my 2005 did it only three times in over two years. The problem is that there's really no way to tell when it's going to happen. When it happens, the battery can be nearly completely drained within a few hours.

The good news is that GM eventually figured out that the problem was due to a firmware (I hope I'm using the correct terminology) glitch. They then developed an antedote; by having the dealers do a "reflash" they were able to solve the problem in the affected cars. I had the reflash done to my 2005 approximately five years ago and I've not had a single problem since.

My suggestion is that you have a dealer run your car's VIN to determine whether or not it's received the reflash. If it has not, get it done. (Hopefully GM will still cover it.) There's a good chance it will solve your problem.

Good luck.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:01 AM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Did they check the clutch pedal switch? If it's malfunctioning, the starter won't engage.

More ideas from another thread:

Originally Posted by CO Lightfoot

-- Check the crank mini-relay in the fuse box. See pg 5-91 in the online owners manual: http://www.gmpartshouse.com/download...05corvette.pdf

-- Check for corrosion on the battery post connectors. And, maybe corrosion is hidden in the battery cables.

-- Crawl under the car and check for corrosion/damage at the starter solenoid connectors.

More ideas:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...ont-start.html
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...t-problem.html...
Old 01-06-2012, 10:37 AM
DickM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CO Lightfoot
Did they check the clutch pedal switch? If it's malfunctioning, the starter won't engage.

More ideas from another thread:
Yep- I told them to check it the second trip to the shop and double- checked with them yesterday. The steering column lock unit has been ordered...
Old 01-06-2012, 10:38 AM
DickM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mpuzach
Are you familiar with the phenomenon that's become known here as "Dead Battery Syndrome" (DBS)? (That's a term that was coined here on the forum; it's not an "official" GM term so your dealer probably won't be familiar with the term.) DBS affected a good number of 2005 Corvettes with manual transmission. (Mine had it.) What happens is that even when the car is properly shut down (with the shifter in reverse), some of the electronics sometimes continue to draw considerably more power from the battery than they're supposed to. This isn't something that happens every time the car is shut down; in fact, my 2005 did it only three times in over two years. The problem is that there's really no way to tell when it's going to happen. When it happens, the battery can be nearly completely drained within a few hours.

The good news is that GM eventually figured out that the problem was due to a firmware (I hope I'm using the correct terminology) glitch. They then developed an antedote; by having the dealers do a "reflash" they were able to solve the problem in the affected cars. I had the reflash done to my 2005 approximately five years ago and I've not had a single problem since.

My suggestion is that you have a dealer run your car's VIN to determine whether or not it's received the reflash. If it has not, get it done. (Hopefully GM will still cover it.) There's a good chance it will solve your problem.

Good luck.
DBS has been ruled out- the car has full electrical- plenty of juice- just won't start. Thanks for the tip, though!
Old 01-06-2012, 11:24 AM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DickM
Yep- I told them to check it the second trip to the shop and double- checked with them yesterday. The steering column lock unit has been ordered...
Sounds like you're very well-informed. And hopefully the new SCL will fix it.

Let us know what happens.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:09 PM
rowdync
Cruising

My '05 died several times and ended up being the PCM. Two seperate Chevy dealers replaced the crank sensor(twice), the A/C relay, and the water pump before figuring it out. GM paid for the PCM. I bought my vette at CarMax and have the big warrantee but the PCM was covered by GM.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:48 PM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 865 Likes on 601 Posts

Gentlemen- This is my 2005's THIRD trip to the local Chevy dealer on a flatbed. So far- new battery (old one was due to be replaced). Worked for awhile- 2nd trip they couldn't find anything- said it was fine. 3rd trip- I am telling them it has to be the steering column lock unit. I have read dozens of threads concerning this, and I am positive that it needs to be replaced. They said the BCM was bad- not communicating so they replaced it ($800). I arrived to pick up the car- it was DEAD. 10 days later- now they want to tear the DASH apart and check the modules/wiring on the firewall! This was on the recommendation of Chevy Tech (at corporate I guess). They say there is nothing in the "database" about this problem? I am telling them to REPLACE the Steering Column Lock Unit. Your thoughts?
When it doesnt start does a disconnect and reconnect of the battery fix it? If it does then its the SCL. Mine did this a few times, and I thought it was the SCL. I just bought a battery tender and everytime I park it I plug it up and it has not done it again. Fingers crossed.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:37 PM
05C6GAC
Burning Brakes

There are a couple of other threads on this same topic recently, just do a search!!!
Old 01-08-2012, 05:44 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 685 Likes on 508 Posts

Has your concern been resolved? Please feel free to contact me or Justin to provide more information or if you require further assistance. Thank you in advance.
Tricia, Chevrolet Customer Service.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:12 PM
DickM
Advanced

I just got off the phone with my Bill, my service rep. They replaced the Steering Column Lock unit, took it out for a test drive and it STILL is showing SERVICE COLUMN LOCK on the DIC. We're up to around $2000 parts and labor. They are talking about replacing the PCM next...
Old 01-10-2012, 02:20 PM
DickM
Advanced

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Nope- when it died for the last time on me a couple of weeks ago in my garage (thankfully) I tried all the "tricks"- turn steering wheel, hit start/access several times, and did a battery disconnect. Nothing worked= called AAA!
Old 01-10-2012, 02:43 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by VET4LES
I'm guessing you don't have the GMPP. If not why not take it to a Corvette specialty shop? It sounds like your dealer doesn't know what their doing and throwing parts at it at your expense. Ask them why you should pay for a BCM when that wasn't the problem?
^^^what he's saying.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:14 PM
LDB
Drifting

Received 1,075 Likes on 434 Posts

I had what sure sounds like your problem on my 05 MN6 (now sold). Several fruitless repair trips after tows. Often got steering column message when it failed to start. When the problem happened, jumping did not help, so it was not battery. Always tested ok once it got to the dealer's service bay. Finally noticed that it only happened when car was parked in the hot sun, so the dealer put it there rather than in a service bay and it finally failed for them when they had their diagnositic tool on it (in the sun). I'm embarrassed to say that I've forgotten which module it was, but they guy said it made sense since the module in question was right under the hood, where hot sun would raise its temp. I want to say steering interlock module, or some such thing. It was not the steering lock itself. It was a module that was somehow interconnected to that. Sorry I can't quote the exact part, but perhaps that's enough clues to help.

Get notified of new replies

To 05 mn6 Won't Start

Old 01-17-2012, 03:15 PM
DickM
Advanced

Default Fixed!

I think- picked it up this morning- no codes, has started O.K. several times throughout the day. Three weeks and over $2500 parts and labor. After this I thought this would be my third and last Corvette, but after driving around in it most the morning and afternoon running errands, I
Old 01-17-2012, 03:41 PM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 311 Likes on 200 Posts

And the problem was?
Old 01-17-2012, 05:38 PM
DickM
Advanced

They say steering Column Lock MODULE and burnt out BCM. I had them replace the Steering Column Lock UNIT too. Judging from the way the new one sounds vs. the old one it was either shot or on the way out next...

Quick Reply: 05 mn6 Won't Start