C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need to change FOB battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 10:07 AM
madmxnj
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to change FOB battery

Okay, so after 5 years both my fobs are starting to give me trouble, not always opening the doors when I walk to the car and this morning gave me a few blinks of "no fob detected" before it started the car.

So I guess I need to replace the battery's. This is the only car I have that is this complicated. Can I just change the batterys with no other actions? Or do I have to resync or reprogram the fobs? I searched some threads and got a little confused like there might be more to it than just changing the battery.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:09 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,831 Likes on 2,072 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Change the battery. Drive. No other action required. Just make sure you put the battery in with the correct side up!

Elmer
Old 10-06-2011, 12:05 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Don't use the batteries with the etched or rough side on the "+" side, Ray-O-Vac, I think.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:11 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Some tips for replacing the fob battery: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...y-warning.html

And if you still have the original car battery, start shopping around. You'll likely need a new one soon.

BTW, if the fob battery is weak/dead, try using the slot in the glovebox. Make sure you orient the fob correctly, with the buttons facing the passenger side. Also, make sure your key will manually open the hatch/trunk, so you can use the pull-tab to manually open the drivers door.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:21 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,122 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
Change the battery. Drive. No other action required. Just make sure you put the battery in with the correct side up!

Elmer
Reprogramming won't be needed.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:45 PM
mundo
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by madmxnj
Okay, so after 5 years both my fobs are starting to give me trouble, not always opening the doors when I walk to the car and this morning gave me a few blinks of "no fob detected" before it started the car.

So I guess I need to replace the battery's. This is the only car I have that is this complicated. Can I just change the batterys with no other actions? Or do I have to resync or reprogram the fobs? I searched some threads and got a little confused like there might be more to it than just changing the battery.

Thanks in advance.
Yep, go to K-mart or Walmart and get 2 new batteries. You'll be good to go.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:28 PM
madmxnj
Racer

CR2032 it sounds like, right?
Old 10-06-2011, 02:33 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

CR2032 it sounds like, right?
Old 10-06-2011, 04:57 PM
BillH2121
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At 5 years, it could also be your car battery - same symptoms. Might want to check that also.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:22 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BillH2121
At 5 years, it could also be your car battery - same symptoms. Might want to check that also.
If you have to change the car battery, you will need to reset the window indexing and probably the clock - that's all.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:02 PM
madmxnj
Racer

Oh, I went Optima Yellow Top in the first year, and I Tender it frequently. Its not the car battery.

I just realized, I grabbed both fobs this morning. I wonder if that confused it, there was some hesitation and a warning message on the DIC this morning (no fob detected) i think, along with some clicking sounds?? I hit the button a couple of times and then it started.

I'll pick up some batteries on they way home, pass a Radio Shack.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:34 PM
Vinnie T
Pro

If you got more than 3 years from the FOB batteries, your doing pretty well. I just changed them for the second time in my '06. Nothing to do but change the battery, however, the FOB case can be a bitch to crack open.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:18 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Oh, I went Optima Yellow Top in the first year, and I Tender it frequently. Its not the car battery.

I just realized, I grabbed both fobs this morning. I wonder if that confused it, there was some hesitation and a warning message on the DIC this morning (no fob detected) i think, along with some clicking sounds?? I hit the button a couple of times and then it started.

I'll pick up some batteries on they way home, pass a Radio Shack.
No, that shouldn't confuse it. If both fobs were actually detected by the antennas and the car, it should have used the lower numbered fob.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:19 AM
madmxnj
Racer

I picked up a 3 pack at Radio Shack for $13. Put in the new batteries last night. All is well. I was prepared for the case to be a pita to open and close based on what I read here. Of course putting the second case back together I hit the panic button and the car starts wailing. I didn't know that you have to open the door to get it to stop. I run down to the garage and I'm hitting all the buttons on the fob and its not stopping! Doh!

thanks guys!

Get notified of new replies

To Need to change FOB battery

Quick Reply: Need to change FOB battery