C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fob battery warning

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 12:27 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Default Fob battery warning

When replacing the CR2032 fob battery, be sure to get one that has a smooth negative side face.

Avoid Rayovac, as the negative surface is gridded (similar to knurled) and will not make constant nor consistant connectivity with the tiny spring in the fob.

When my original fob battery died and Rayovac was the replacement, I thought I'd damaged the fob itself during the changeover. It would only work sporadically and fear of the "No fobs detected" message was often. The battery checked fine with a volt meter and worked perfectly in two other devices, but not in the fob. After 3 weeks of frustration, including squeezing, banging, beating, and shaking the fob to get it to work, just using a smooth face battery from one of my other devices cured the problem.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:39 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Excellent heads-up!

And it reminds me I need to get a spare battery before I take a trip this Spring.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:41 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
When replacing the CR2032 fob battery, be sure to get one that has a smooth negative side face.

Avoid Rayovac, as the negative surface is gridded (similar to knurled) and will not make constant nor consistant connectivity with the tiny spring in the fob.

When my original fob battery died and Rayovac was the replacement, I thought I'd damaged the fob itself during the changeover. It would only work sporadically and fear of the "No fobs detected" message was often. The battery checked fine with a volt meter and worked perfectly in two other devices, but not in the fob. After 3 weeks of frustration, including squeezing, banging, beating, and shaking the fob to get it to work, just using a smooth face battery from one of my other devices cured the problem.
Thanks for the tip... but maybe the battery was just bad? I've had sporadic luck with Rayovac, so I tend to just to avoid that brand anyway.

Cheers,
Kent
Old 01-29-2010, 12:44 PM
traindude
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to know. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 01-29-2010, 04:23 PM
degaux
Drifting

...wow!... was this a timely thread...
...need to replace the battery in my fob tomorrow ... I'm getting tired of having to "warm it up" before I can open the door
Old 01-30-2010, 04:24 PM
kencz51
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was just wondering how long the batteries should last. i have been using mine since Feb 06. i don't pay much attention to the ones in the other cars since i can always use the key until i get a new batt.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:34 PM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by traindude
Good to know. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 01-30-2010, 04:35 PM
rwpatte
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by degaux
...wow!... was this a timely thread...
...need to replace the battery in my fob tomorrow ... I'm getting tired of having to "warm it up" before I can open the door
I won't touch that knowing you John.
Pat:
Old 01-30-2010, 04:56 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I replaced mine a few month's ago with energizer brand batteries. Negative side is smooth, and seems to work fine. Curious on some of your guy's experiences, opening and closing these fob cases. I literally had to jump on mine to snap it shut again.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:03 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,499 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by Vette5.5
I replaced mine a few month's ago with energizer brand batteries. Negative side is smooth, and seems to work fine. Curious on some of your guy's experiences, opening and closing these fob cases. I literally had to jump on mine to snap it shut again.
did you have difficulty opening it too?
Old 01-30-2010, 10:45 PM
ezrizer
Instructor

Default FOB Battery

What's the trick to opening the FOB?
Old 01-30-2010, 11:01 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

A nickel is the perfect tool to pry open the '05-'07 fob...then just a bit silicone on the gasket and it will easily snap back together.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:02 PM
Dave Carney
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ezrizer
What's the trick to opening the FOB?
Pull the key out, then use a nickel as your tool. Start on a corner in the key portal, then run the nickel around the edge like you were unzipping a zipper.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:13 PM
drlndrve
Advanced

Originally Posted by kencz51
i was just wondering how long the batteries should last. i have been using mine since Feb 06. i don't pay much attention to the ones in the other cars since i can always use the key until i get a new batt.
I wanna know too--and what are the warning signs (if any) that its getting weak.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:05 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

The DIC does have a message "fob battery low"...but the manual says that it MAY say this...in real life, many here have had a substantial reduction in the range of the fob, even to the point of it not working, without ever getting this message.

Fob battery life depends on whether you use the buttons or not. I never ever use a fob button so I am expecting at least 5 years. People who always push the buttons have reported as low as 1.5 - 2 yrs.

Last edited by cclive; 01-31-2010 at 12:07 AM.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:18 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

I got about 4 years use before having to change the first fob. I put a Sony battery in it.
I did have alot of problems opening it up in fact the edges got all chewed up and it doesn't fully close now but I have one of those rubber FOB protectors and that is holding it all together.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:27 AM
BriscoCounty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by drlndrve
I wanna know too--and what are the warning signs (if any) that its getting weak.
Mine showed signs by not reacting immediately to the pulling on the door pad. Seemed like a slight delay. Then when pressing the lock button, didn't recognize the lock press all the time. Then one day I couldn't get into my car at all, and was just about to get the key out, the trunk finally popped open and then I could open the doors.

Replaced battery and all of the issues above went away. So, you will get a month or 2 of notice before hand. My fob on my daily driver lasted just under 3 years.

Get notified of new replies

To Fob battery warning

Old 01-31-2010, 10:50 AM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

I've always replaced FOB batteries for this car and others every two years - - it seems like cheap insurance. Walgreens has a two-pack of Duracell CR2032 for $6-7 - - that's what I've generally used- more out of convenience than cost or technology.

Last edited by CQRT; 01-31-2010 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:04 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,820 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Car received January of '07, still on original Fob battery. I just carry it around in my pocket and never push a button. Well, not totally true...

I have managed to set off the alarm with a pocket push when leaning against something. But, it was purely accidental....

Cliff notes? Use the buttons and it goes maybe 2 years. Let the car do all the work and we're going longer than that.

Elmer
Old 01-31-2010, 01:51 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
Car received January of '07, still on original Fob battery. I just carry it around in my pocket and never push a button. Well, not totally true...

I have managed to set off the alarm with a pocket push when leaning against something. But, it was purely accidental....

Cliff notes? Use the buttons and it goes maybe 2 years. Let the car do all the work and we're going longer than that.

Elmer
I barely got 2 years without pushing buttons, but mines a DD with 58K on the clock, so it may be related to the number of demands too.

I'm only familiar with the '08 & up fobs and have set off the alarm or popped the hatch with the accidental pocket push. A cure is to put a small piece of tape on the PC board to eliminate contact. The location will be obvious for each button you want to disable.

Quick Reply: Fob battery warning