C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which TPMS tool ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 10:54 AM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Default Which TPMS tool ??

Putting together another set of wheels and tires for my 2009 C6.
Trying to decide on a TPMS reset tool once everything is ready to put on the car.
So far looking at the Ateq Vt5 and Ateq Vt15.
Also the OTC Tips TPM Reset Tool which has a few more features/options.
Any other suggestions or info appreciated
Old 09-26-2011, 10:59 AM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Here are 2 recommended by BEZ06:

(I've read somewhere that the one he links in here may not be available any more )

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1575521581-post3.html

And this is the most recent I've seen:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1578040626-post15.html
Old 09-26-2011, 11:06 AM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I have the Tips TPM Reset Tool and love it.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:23 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

FWIW I use a Schrader-Bridgeport TPMS tool (obtained from our forum resident TPMS expert years ago). It's rugged, dependable and I can update its software via USB. It works well!

http://www.schrader-bridgeport.com/?page=tpms
Old 09-26-2011, 01:00 PM
Nick996
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am doing this as well..... is it required that the new sensors are setup for the car? I assumed the car would just pick them up once you started rolling with them on the car?

Is there a link for the setup to do this?
Old 09-26-2011, 01:07 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

I have the TIPS, got it for $89...works great.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:28 PM
Top_Fuel
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
I have the TIPS, got it for $89...works great.
This tool is easy to use and it seems to work on almost everything. I'm not sure how cheap it is anymore, though.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:28 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
FWIW I use a Schrader-Bridgeport TPMS tool (obtained from our forum resident TPMS expert years ago). It's rugged, dependable and I can update its software via USB. It works well!

http://www.schrader-bridgeport.com/?page=tpms
I've got a similar tool from the same member, and a good one, as it's actually a Bartec 300. It's good getting a better model like this, as will actually scan sensors for function nowhere near the car. Think the stand out now, is the OTC Tips Pro 003A, as can be had for less than $100 buck's from online tool places.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:36 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks everone for the info
Some of the tools posted/listed in the replies are discontinued

Here's what I found from my searches ..
The Ateq tools are simple setting tools from Tire Rack.
Ateq Vt5 = $80.00
Ateq Vt15 = $110.00

These two OTC Tips tools have more features:
OTC 3833B11 2011 TPMS BASE KIT = $537.00
OTC Tips TPM Reset Tool - OTCOTC003D = $209 - $262.00
The less expensive one is offered through Advanced Auto.

Also, searching the internet... Might be some models for less, but Most prices for the Wheelrite tools by Bartec were upwards of $1,000.00 or more.
Still searching and will see what I can find out when I visit the Advanced Auto near me.
Thanks again

Last edited by Dif; 09-26-2011 at 04:55 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:43 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Hi Dif

Like you have in your post, there are tools available at a wide range of prices.

In general, the more expensive ones are more universal (may work with virtually all vehicles with tire pressure sensors, and probably have upgradeable software as new sensors with different communication protocols come out), may do better diagnostics, and are probably only needed in a tire shop that works on MANY diffrerent vehicles with sensors/TPMS.

All GM sensors only require a very simple continuous wave transmission to trigger them, and the simplest TPMS tools out there will work to program the tire pressure sensors into the TPMS computer in our C6's.

If all you need is a tool to program a new set of sensors when you swap wheels/tires/sensors, such as for street-to-track-and-back, what I would recommend is the fairly newly available GM "low cost" tool. It's an official GM tool that is specified by them as one of the tools for their Techs to use (EL-50448).

Here's a document about why they came out with it:

https://gmspecialservicetools.spx.co...0448_rev_1.pdf

In there it mentions a price of $43.65, however I haven't found any source for it at that price. I checked my two local dealers and they can't even order it for me.

However, you can get it for $62.33 direct from the manufacturer, and that's definitely the cheapest available tool out there:

https://gmspecialservicetools.spx.co...s.aspx?id=5677

It's a basic tool, but it should work well to simply trigger your sensors when doing a relearn procedure to program a set of sensors when you install new ones or swap wheels for the track, etc.

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 09-26-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:14 PM
KENS80V
Melting Slicks

Received 126 Likes on 103 Posts

Katech is selling the same tool BEZ06 mentioned for $100. Here is the link

http://store.katechengines.com/katec...tool-p263.aspx

Last edited by KENS80V; 09-26-2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:34 PM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by KENS80V

$62.33 or $100, hummmm. ding ding ding, I know the answer.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:30 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Hi Dif

Like you have in your post, there are tools available at a wide range of prices.

In general, the more expensive ones are more universal (may work with virtually all vehicles with tire pressure sensors, and probably have upgradeable software as new sensors with different communication protocols come out), may do better diagnostics, and are probably only needed in a tire shop that works on MANY diffrerent vehicles with sensors/TPMS.

All GM sensors only require a very simple continuous wave transmission to trigger them, and the simplest TPMS tools out there will work to program the tire pressure sensors into the TPMS computer in our C6's.

If all you need is a tool to program a new set of sensors when you swap wheels/tires/sensors, such as for street-to-track-and-back, what I would recommend is the fairly newly available GM "low cost" tool. It's an official GM tool that is specified by them as one of the tools for their Techs to use (EL-50448).

Here's a document about why they came out with it:

https://gmspecialservicetools.spx.co...0448_rev_1.pdf

In there it mentions a price of $43.65, however I haven't found any source for it at that price. I checked my two local dealers and they can't even order it for me.

However, you can get it for $62.33 direct from the manufacturer, and that's definitely the cheapest available tool out there:

https://gmspecialservicetools.spx.co...s.aspx?id=5677

It's a basic tool, but it should work well to simply trigger your sensors when doing a relearn procedure to program a set of sensors when you install new ones or swap wheels for the track, etc.

Bob
Many Thanks Bob for all the info.
A basic tool will be fine and the GM tool looks great.
I won't be swapping wheels very often, if at all, once the second set of wheels/tires are put on.
But,
I have 4 new sensors, and don't want to find one might be bad, After Tires and sensors are mounted on wheels and put on the car

How would you bench test the sensors ?
Thanks again, Frank
Old 09-26-2011, 10:17 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

I have not used that "low cost" GM tool. However, looking at the picture of it indicates that it has 2 lights on it - one to indicate that it is transmitting the triggering signal, and one that indicates the tool's battery is getting low.

Many tools are a step up from that tool and have a receiver in the tool that will pick up the signal transmitted by the tire pressure sensor and blink a light and/or beep when the tool does receive that signal.

It looks like the EL-50448 doesn't have a receiver in it and won't directly show whether the sensor is working or not, but that's not a problem - just do a programming procedure, and if you get a honk of the horn then the sensor is working just fine. And you can do it while holding the sensor in your hand next to the car - it does not need to be mounted in a wheel or have any pressure on it.

The higher end tools have a screen that will display some of the sensor's info when it picks up the signal transmitted by the sensor.

Tire shops like the high end ones because they can actually print out the sensor's data so that if a sensor isn't working they can show the customer before they ever start to work on the car.

Of course those higher end tools can do good diagnostics, but you just don't need that for a one-car operation.

In the video below I show several different tools being used to check a sensor. That gray peanut-shaped sensor is the one used in a 2005-2009 C6 (that video is several years old and I say I think it will be the same one use in a 2008 - it was the one used through the 2009 model year!). Those tools all have receivers in them and blink/beep, or in the case of the ATEQ display stuff on the screen.

The main thing I'm trying to bring to your attention is that the sensor does not need to be mounted in a wheel to check it out.

If I had a GM EL-50448 tool and wanted to check out a set of sensors, I'd just put my car into the learn mode, hold each sensor and trigger it with the tool. If I got a honk of the horn for the first 3 and a double honk for the 4th one, then I'd know that they are all good sensors - at least their internal battery was okay, and they transmitted their data correctly or the horn would never have honked if the TPMS computer in the car didn't receive a proper transmission.

When you do trigger a sensor, make sure the one you're triggering is a couple feet from any others so you just trigger the one you're interested in working on. The tools only transmit several inches, but you want to make sure which sensor you are actually triggering by removing the one you're working on far enough from any others (including the ones in your tires) so it's the only one triggered.

You could just check 1 or 2 sensors that way as well, but not more than 4 on one learn mode - the TPMS computer memory only holds 4 sensor ID#'s.

Of course, after doing your diagnostic check that way you'll have to reprogram your sensors in the wheels on the car until you get the other ones installed and the other wheels on the car. Then you'll have to program that set in when you install your other set of wheels/tires/sensors.

BTW, the sensor for the 2010 and newer C6 looks exactly like that sensor in the video, except it's green in color - a green peanut-shaped sensor for the newer C6.

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 09-26-2011 at 10:20 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:29 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks once again for such a detailed explanation
You answered my question and any other questions I might have had
And Thanks for the heads up on the GM EL-50448 tool.
All things considered for price and function, I'll be ordering one
Old 09-27-2011, 12:37 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by speedraider
$62.33 or $100, hummmm. ding ding ding, I know the answer.
No, don't say that because on the forum, that means that $100 is better.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:22 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Schrader/Bartec tool I have, actually got from Bob a few years back when he had some availible. I really like the two way communication, as can test the sensors in my track set while still in the basement. Also located some bad sensors on friends cars this way. Don't think the mentioned GM tool will do this.

Get notified of new replies

To Which TPMS tool ??

Old 09-27-2011, 07:43 AM
LT5 John
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KENS80V

I have this one, works great and very simple to use
Old 09-27-2011, 09:02 AM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by cclive
No, don't say that because on the forum, that means that $100 is better.
your right, some love that corvette tax
Old 09-27-2011, 01:04 PM
smdio
Burning Brakes

Just ordered the EL tool. Shipment will be October 3rd. I've been putting off buying the tool and dealing with the DIC message because I thought paying $100+ to reproggram was ridiculous. $62 is fine with me! Thanks guys

Quick Reply: Which TPMS tool ??