C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS tool

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 03:39 PM
PeOR
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS tool

I am about to get a TPMS tool to be able to use the tire pressuring system on both my street rims as well as my track rims.

When looking through the options I found one for $149 that seems to do what I want. Has any one tried it? Does it get the job done?
http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/p-2...and-sport.aspx

PeO.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:12 PM
d.medic
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

http://www.corvetteguys.com/corvette-tpms-tool.html
This is the one I got, it works great. Plus they sell it in a kit with four TPMS also. You get the four TPMS and the tool for $179
Old 10-04-2010, 04:32 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by PeOR
I am about to get a TPMS tool to be able to use the tire pressuring system on both my street rims as well as my track rims.

When looking through the options I found one for $149 that seems to do what I want. Has any one tried it? Does it get the job done?
http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/p-2...and-sport.aspx

PeO.
I don't know why they're selling that ATEQ VT10 for so much.

Like d.medic says, check that link in his post and you'll see the exact same tool for $109.

That VT10 is a good but very simple tool. Personally, I think cheaper is better - especially when it's a more capable tool (does a little bit of diagnostics and can be upgraded), like this TIPS Tool for $71.57!!!:

http://www.ntxtools.com/network-tool...-TIPS003A.html

BTW, I think you have a 2005. When was it built? (month/year of build is on a sticker on the driver's door)

If you have a very early 2005 (built in about Sept 2004 or earlier) with original tire pressure sensors, those early sensors didn't need a tool.

If you're getting a second set of wheels/tires/sensors then you'll need a tool to program them.

Bob
Old 10-04-2010, 04:54 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with Bob and pretty sure the Tips003A tool has two way communication with the sensor, rather than just transmitting a reset signal like some of the inexpensive job's. I've been doing the track set up switch like you're talking about for a couple year's now, and find it nice to have the better communicating tool, so I can check if the sensor's are functioning on the wheel set just sitting in the basement.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:07 PM
blueyeszr1
Account suspended by request 6 Oct 2017

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
I don't know why they're selling that ATEQ VT10 for so much.

Like d.medic says, check that link in his post and you'll see the exact same tool for $109.

That VT10 is a good but very simple tool. Personally, I think cheaper is better - especially when it's a more capable tool (does a little bit of diagnostics and can be upgraded), like this TIPS Tool for $71.57!!!:

http://www.ntxtools.com/network-tool...-TIPS003A.html

BTW, I think you have a 2005. When was it built? (month/year of build is on a sticker on the driver's door)

If you have a very early 2005 (built in about Sept 2004 or earlier) with original tire pressure sensors, those early sensors didn't need a tool.

If you're getting a second set of wheels/tires/sensors then you'll need a tool to program them.

Bob
I also agree with Bob, This is the best TPMS tool I have had, and the cheapest too. I had one of the ATEQ VT10 I bought for $105 and it worked ok but the TIPS tool does much more. You can save some money and get a better tool.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:19 PM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I got a VT10 as part of a sensor package from corvetteguys when they were having a very good sale. It does what I need so I'm happy with it.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:47 PM
PeOR
Instructor

Default Awesome

This forum is AWESOME. Thx for great help. I will go for the OTC-TIPS003A

My car is built Oct 2004, so it might be that my existing sensors are too old. We will see.

Do you have any recommendation of tires sensors as well?

PeO.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:41 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

How can I disagree with Bob when it comes to TPMS??????? I also got the TIPS tool at his suggestion and am very happy with it.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:59 PM
toomuchcar
Burning Brakes

I got the one that Tire Rack sells for $105 and it works great.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:11 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

This forum is AWESOME. Thx for great help. I will go for the OTC-TIPS003A

My car is built Oct 2004, so it might be that my existing sensors are too old. We will see.

Do you have any recommendation of tires sensors as well?

PeO.
If you at the package deal in that link that d.medic put up, you'll see some aftermarket tire pressure sensors. They are a lot cheaper and reported to work just like the OE ones.

I have only used OE sensors. The OE sensors for the 2005-2009 C6 are GM Part# 25758220. Forum vendor Gene Culley ( www.gmpartshouse.com ) or Parts Taxi ( www.partstaxi.com ) has them for around $250 for a set of 4. Here's a quote from Gene's site:

C6 Tire Pressure Sensors

2010 +

15268606 – Tire pressure sensor - $45.45 each
15234846 – Tire pressure sensor nut - $3.89 each

Total set of 4 nuts and 4 sensors $216.70 shipped.

Note: The sensor comes with the washer and valve stem cap.
Setup includes: 4 sensors, 4 washers/o-rings, 4 caps and 4 nuts.

2005 – 2009

25758220 – Tire pressure sensor – $57.78 each
15234846 – Tire pressure sensor nut – $3.89 each

Total set of 4 nuts and 4 sensors $270.85 shipped.

Note: The sensor comes with the washer and valve stem cap.
Setup includes: 4 sensors, 4 washers/o-rings, 4 caps and 4 nuts.

You can see you'll also need to order 4 retaining nuts.

Take a look on eBay (just search for the part#) and you can find some used ones for a lot cheaper (actually I just looked and saw 4 brand new ones for $200 with free shipping - but you'll still need the retaining nuts).

Anybody reading the thread that has a 2010 or newer can see that Chebie changed to a different sensor in 2010. The older sensors won't work in a 2010+, and the newer sensors won't work in the 2005-2009 C6.

Bob
Old 10-04-2010, 10:22 PM
PeOR
Instructor

Default Odbii

I see that a tool on Tirerack for $125 has an ODBII port and you dont have to actually do the "walk around the car and initiate the sensors".

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=163

Is that a preferred way to shift sensors? EDIT - I know that my current sensor mapping is messed up, since I intentionally tried to match up a friends tires, so that could always be with no sensors connected (and then not have a problem coming to track with one or a few sensors still not having let go). This would mean I cannot read out the original sensor id's unless I boot them with the TIPS003 tools. So, it will probably be the TIPS one anyway.

And Bob - I owe you a case of beer.

PeO.

Last edited by PeOR; 10-04-2010 at 10:26 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:44 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I see that a tool on Tirerack for $125 has an ODBII port and you dont have to actually do the "walk around the car and initiate the sensors".

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=163

Tire Rack used to sell the VT10 for $105, but I noticed today when checking their site that the only tool they had listed was the one in the link above.

I don't know anything about that tool, but I think it's this one:

http://www.ateq-tpmsreset.com/TPMS_tool_comingsoon.html

In that link it shows that it only works on Asian cars. I don't think it will work with any cars except those Asian vehicles in the thread above.

You won't go wrong with the TIPS tool!!

Below is a video where I'm using a TIPS tool on my C6 sensors.

Bob

Old 10-04-2010, 11:50 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Bob, don't you have any pictures of the TIPS tool completely disassembled so we can see inside????

And I can't see how the programming of the system could be done without walking around the car because the car would have no way of knowing which sensor was in which location.

Last edited by cclive; 10-05-2010 at 12:49 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:05 PM
0CorvetteGuysGal
Former Vendor

Just to add a bit to this conversation ... think someone pointed out earlier we sell the VT10 - that's correct. That's also what Tire Rack sold at the time we started carrying them, as I understand it.

I can also send you a code for 6% off your order if you PM me. We also offer free shipping on everything including wheels & tires too every day.

If you're looking for sensors, the sensors we carry are Oro-Tek - they're OE reproductions. We have the C5 & C6 thru '09. Will have to talk to them about getting the '10 style sensors.

Let me know if I can be of assistance.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:09 PM
0CorvetteGuysGal
Former Vendor

Also, our VT10 is priced at $109.99 with free shipping. Unfortunately the sensors are priced much more steeply - and for the cost you might just want to go OEM. (unfortunately the gentleman above who got the set of 4 and the VT10 got them a while ago when we were able to offer the kits quite cheaply, which is no longer the case). The sensors are $179.99 (free shipping) for 4.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:12 PM
PeOR
Instructor

Default Interesting

Originally Posted by CorvetteGuysGal
Just to add a bit to this conversation ... think someone pointed out earlier we sell the VT10 - that's correct. That's also what Tire Rack sold at the time we started carrying them, as I understand it.

I can also send you a code for 6% off your order if you PM me. We also offer free shipping on everything including wheels & tires too every day.

If you're looking for sensors, the sensors we carry are Oro-Tek - they're OE reproductions. We have the C5 & C6 thru '09. Will have to talk to them about getting the '10 style sensors.

Let me know if I can be of assistance.
Sounds very interesting. You don't happen to have the tire pressure nuts, do you? And d.medic was talking about a kit with tool and sensors from you.. but I cannot find the one with the sensors in a kit?

PeO.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:47 PM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Sounds very interesting. You don't happen to have the tire pressure nuts, do you? And d.medic was talking about a kit with tool and sensors from you.. but I cannot find the one with the sensors in a kit?

PeO.
http://www.corvetteguys.com/tpms-sensor-kit-c6.html

Their sensors come with everything needed to install including the nuts.

Get notified of new replies

To TPMS tool

Old 10-05-2010, 05:49 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The OBD connector tool looks quite intersting, but seem's like a pain to set up. Quite honestly it only take a minute or so to walk around the car with a conventional tool. Also, as mentioned, it's a nice feature with a better conventional tool to check for a bad sensor with the wheel set being nowhere near the car, as can save you the trouble of mounting it, then getting frustrated trying to track it down later. Also can scan the sensor's of a parked car just sitting there.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:03 AM
0CorvetteGuysGal
Former Vendor

PeO.
Due to the increased cost, we split out the sensors and the tool into separate kits. The link MarsC6 put up is to the kit of 4 sensors - you can just add on the tool or buy it separately. Allows you to choose what you want.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:17 PM
cclive
Team Owner

It is an important point that this set of sensors comes with the gasket and the nut....the GM ones are sold as three separate items and can add to the price quite a bit.

Quick Reply: TPMS tool