C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tune vs warranty

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 01:21 PM
fnbrowning
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by redzone
What you don't seem to understand is the "stealership" isn't losing a dime if you defraud GM. They are paid for all warranty work.

So the whole "they screwed me so I'll return the favor" mantra doesn't fly.

I'll tell you who else is paying for any fraudulent warranty repairs......ME, and every one else who buys a new Corvette. The cost of warranty repairs is figured into the price of next years Corvette.

Just like bogus insurance claims make everyones else's rates go up.
Conversely, ppl like yourself must feel warm and smug when a stealership wrongfully denies a warranty claim, because that keeps your Chevy purchase costs down also.

I quickly looked at the latest dealer fustration thread http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...ustrating.html I didn't see you there helping the poster, or at least commensurating with his issue.

That's because the bulk of the "fraudulent warranty repairs" crowd breaks down into roughly four groups. (1) Sheeple. (2) High-minded ethics preachers that purport that personal ethics translates into corporate ethics, and (3) Posters that just don't give a d@mn about their fellow auto enthusiasts.

The "fraudulent warranty repairs" crowd trys to establish the impression that each and every modification of the auto is potentially destructive to the automotive system. That is disinformation.

The idea that GM and Chrysler have the best interests of the consumer - not to mention the country(!) in mind is a contemptible laughing-stock.

Bottom line: Stealerships, with GM collusion, will deny claims as often as possible, staying under the threshold for legal action. (Why do you think "lemon laws" were necessary? ) Try to get the corporation to cover as many repairs as possible. In the real world, the chance of denial is roughly equal - modded or not.

Last edited by fnbrowning; 07-26-2011 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:29 PM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fnbrowning
In the real world, the chance of denial is roughly equal - modded or not.
Thats complete ********. There is no game to be played anymore, period, and the sooner people realize it, the sooner we will not have these stupid ****ing threads. If you tune your car, atleast with the newer ECM's, your ****ed. Its just the bottom line. It doesnt matter how cool your dealer is, or how you think your tune had nothing to do with it. GM's policy is that if the CVN#'s dont match factory calibration codes, to deny warranty claims. And ANY vehicle that is going to require a power train type warranty claim, has to have that information sent to GM and be cleared for the repair before any work will be done.

You think you can beat it, good luck, have fun, and let me know how it goes. I have access to a tech 2, i have yet to find one single tuner that can not be detected.

So feel free to scream magnusson moss or take them to court if they kill your warranty, but I have a pretty good idea how things are going to end up.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:34 PM
P0234
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by breecher_7
So feel free to scream magnusson moss or take them to court if they kill your warranty, but I have a pretty good idea how things are going to end up.
So either you have a crystal ball or you can cite specific examples, which is it?
Old 07-26-2011, 01:44 PM
Cool Rod
Pro

I do, ive had my warranty on two diesel trucks voided due to aftermarket tunes in the ECM, granted I had alot more then just that, but that was the main killer and the instant killer.
Says here they shouldn't have done that.

Bulletin No.: 06-06-01-007B

Date: June 27, 2008
Subject:
Information On Identifying Duramax(TM) Diesel LB7, LLY, LMM, LBZ Overpower Engine Breakdown or Non-Function Due to Aftermarket Power-Up Devices vs. Non Overpower Engine Non-Function of Pistons, Cylinders, and Valvetrain Components

How to handle an engine failure suspected due to a power up Device

Dealers should not automatically decline warranty assistance on engine failures due to the fact that a power-up device or modification is evident or suspected. The technician must identify that the failure is due to a power-up device by teardown analysis and diagnosis of the engine components. The following steps should be taken if an engine failure occurs and it is suspected that the modification or addition of a power-up device maybe the cause of the engine failure. If unclear of this process or direction feel free to contact your District Service Manager (DVM) (in Canada, DSM) for further support.

1. The technician should use proper engine diagnostics to lead him/her to the failed engine components. The attached check sheet should be followed and if it is determined that at least three of the check sheet items match the engine component failures then it can be decided that the failure is not a warrantable claim.

http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/sho...id-My-Warranty

I'd be extremely surprised if GM has a different protocol for Corvettes.

I will repeat what I said: no one on this forum has ever said that they personally were denied warranty service because their tune damaged their car. It just never happens.

Nomex underwear on!

Last edited by Cool Rod; 07-26-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:03 PM
fnbrowning
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by P0234
So either you have a crystal ball or you can cite specific examples, which is it?
Thanks P0234

Thats complete ********. blah, blah, blah . . . So feel free to scream magnusson moss or take them to court if they kill your warranty, but I have a pretty good idea how things are going to end up.
No, I consider your rant complete ********.

And I'll let the viewing public onto my line of thoughts. I just recently stumbled across a TSB that covered a mechanical issue on my DD during it's warranty days. I'm because I remember the contemptable stealership denied there was a problem under the warranty. I missed the TSB, it was a few years back, and maybe my search-fu was not as good.
But I ended up fixing the issue myself out of fustration. Now I find the stealership lied to me in denying the claim.

Your >>"pretty good idea how things are going to end up"<< is a crapshoot with a legitimate claim due to stealership/GM B@stards.
Lying, cheating, misinforming b@stards.

Fellow Vette enthusiasts - Tune your car. Mod your car.
If you find defective material and workmanship, do everything you can to make the system pay for it, because it's usually there regardless of what you did.

Last edited by fnbrowning; 07-26-2011 at 02:07 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:23 PM
millhouse1
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by redzone
Dealers don't lift a finger for warranty repairs without approval from GM first. Especially if it's something that may or may not be approved.
If something falls within warranty guidlines and its a no brainer, dealers will do it. Ever seen a car with 2000 miles get denied for a broken 2nd gear. I have.

Taking your car to the track and beating it up with the powertrain still under warranty does not mean its covered. Gm considers it excessive abuse. They consider a custom tune in the same ballpark.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:31 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

y'all think GM is **** ................ Mazda can be the same way too. For that matter they all can.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:37 PM
millhouse1
Heel & Toe

I have personally seen a GM exec at the track taking pictures of vin# and tags and then having those vin#'s flagged for any future problems under warranty claims.

We have had a 2011 ss camaro and a 2010 zo6 tunred down on warranty drivetrain claims because of this very reason.Both had less than 2k miles.

Before I get jumped, I side with consumer. I am just telling you the reason why Gm does what they do. Do I agree, no.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:54 PM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Cool Rod

Says here they shouldn't have done that.

Bulletin No.: 06-06-01-007B

Date: June 27, 2008
Subject:
Information On Identifying Duramax(TM) Diesel LB7, LLY, LMM, LBZ Overpower Engine Breakdown or Non-Function Due to Aftermarket Power-Up Devices vs. Non Overpower Engine Non-Function of Pistons, Cylinders, and Valvetrain Components

How to handle an engine failure suspected due to a power up Device

Dealers should not automatically decline warranty assistance on engine failures due to the fact that a power-up device or modification is evident or suspected. The technician must identify that the failure is due to a power-up device by teardown analysis and diagnosis of the engine components. The following steps should be taken if an engine failure occurs and it is suspected that the modification or addition of a power-up device maybe the cause of the engine failure. If unclear of this process or direction feel free to contact your District Service Manager (DVM) (in Canada, DSM) for further support.

1. The technician should use proper engine diagnostics to lead him/her to the failed engine components. The attached check sheet should be followed and if it is determined that at least three of the check sheet items match the engine component failures then it can be decided that the failure is not a warrantable claim.

http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/sho...id-My-Warranty

I'd be extremely surprised if GM has a different protocol for Corvettes.

I will repeat what I said: no one on this forum has ever said that they personally were denied warranty service because their tune damaged their car. It just never happens.

Nomex underwear on!
Shredded transmissions, no doubt what happened. At stock power level you will not kill an allison.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:56 PM
Blaq Ops
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
And around and around we go and we keep stopping on tune = no warranty of drive line. Put it to the TEST.
Fixed

This should be a dead issue. It's pretty simple. Tune you're car and go find out. Make up scenerio, call the dealership, tell them the problem and that your car has a tune and wait for the answer. Then the only issue becomes is it detectable once erased. From there it's a personal choice if you want to take that chance. No one giving advice here is going to pay for your repairs should their advice be wrong. Regardless of whether you feel the dealership is wrong or right for declining repairs on a tuned car is a moot point.

Last edited by Blaq Ops; 07-26-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:56 PM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Fellow Vette enthusiasts - Tune your car. Mod your car.
If you find defective material and workmanship, do everything you can to make the system pay for it, because it's usually there regardless of what you did.

And be prepared for it to be down for a VERY long time while GM investigates it, denies your warranty, and you try to take them to court over it. Who knows, maybe you will win!

Im done here, its a revolving door.

I do not endorse modifications and trying to get GM to pay for it, try and pull whatever **** you like and see what happens. Maybe you will get lucky.

Im

Last edited by breecher_7; 07-26-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:30 PM
ladder13
Melting Slicks

Received 798 Likes on 386 Posts

Let's see, you mess with a perfectly good car and ruin it, then you want the manufacturer to pay for your mistake???
Old 07-26-2011, 06:13 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

And be prepared for it to be down for a VERY long time while GM investigates it, denies your warranty, and you try to take them to court over it. Who knows, maybe you will win!

Im done here, its a revolving door.

I do not endorse modifications and trying to get GM to pay for it, try and pull whatever **** you like and see what happens. Maybe you will get lucky.

Im
But then maybe he won't.

GM representatives have access to this board, and can search posts put up in here, better than most.

He has already posted up information which could help them narrow down his VIN, so that should he ever bring his car in for a major warranty repair, they already have a place to start looking, and know to be on the lookout for an altered ECM.

I bought a JSB LT1 coupe w/ the Z51 package and Forged AL wheels in Kansas City on 10/28 for $42,500 before rebates, incentitives, and trade-in.
It won't take much from there, for them to find out the dealership the car was sold from, and the VIN.

And if a car like his, comes into any nearby dealership for a major warranty repair requiring inspection by a GM representative before the repair could commence, it would not surprise me if they decided to look extra hard for evidence of a tune considering what has already been posted in this thread. And with what has been said, it would not surprise me if they didn't have a real incentive at this point.

If I found that post, then so can they.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 07-26-2011 at 06:23 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:27 PM
rayk
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Over in the Duramax world, if your lose your engine, either regional or district technical rep will stop by to review the components arfter the teardown. Not the call of the dealship on the cause and if it's covered by the warranty.

If your pistons show excessive fuel and heat, they will deny the claim and put it in the system the warranty is void.

When I put a SC on my rustang, the service manager said he would cover what wasn't caused by the SC if I had any warranty claims. That was fine with me. I knew the risk.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:29 PM
ladder13
Melting Slicks

Received 798 Likes on 386 Posts

Bottom line: Stealerships, with GM collusion, will deny claims as often as possible, staying under the threshold for legal action.
Could you define stealership?
Old 07-26-2011, 08:48 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by ladder13
Could you define stealership?
Spare us .................................
Old 07-26-2011, 09:08 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,409 Likes on 612 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by millhouse1
I have personally seen a GM exec at the track taking pictures of vin# and tags and then having those vin#'s flagged for any future problems under warranty claims.

We have had a 2011 ss camaro and a 2010 zo6 tunred down on warranty drivetrain claims because of this very reason.Both had less than 2k miles.

Before I get jumped, I side with consumer. I am just telling you the reason why Gm does what they do. Do I agree, no.
GM will not and can not decline warranty work because your car has been on a track....

I have personally tracked my car at HPDE's many times. 3 times at VIR with GM Performance employees, designers, engineers, etc. in attendance watching proudly how the cars they designed worked on the track.

While on track during day 2 2 years ago an LS7 about 20 car lengths ahead of me starting up the "Uphill Esses" detonated with a huge fireball out the back. A fireball big enough to peel some of the paint off the rear facia.

When the car was towed into the paddock, all the GM people surrounded the car and checked it out. They asked the owner/driver to "Tell us everything you have done to the car since you've owned it" The guy said "I've changed the oil when needed, new tires, new brake pads and that's it"

The GM folks said if that is true and the computer has never been altered, this will be a warranty claim and you'll get a new LS7 and we'll repaint the rear facia. If the computer is found to have been altered "all bets are off and you're on your own"

They (GM Performance) arranged to have the car towed from the VIR paddock to TarHeel Chevrolet in nearby Roxboro, NC and had the car torn apart the next day and had the computer analyzed.

The computer was found to have never been altered and GM then went ahead and put a new LS7 in the car and had it back to the owner in about a month.

GM is happy to see these cars used to how they were designed and will NOT deny a warranty claim because you've participated in an HPDE.

My Z06 is 500+ HP, with 6 piston from calipers and a top speed of over 190mph. Do you think this car was designed to be used on the street ONLY?

What everone participating in this thread needs to do, including myself, Just believe what you believe and go with it. GM has proved to me, "Use the car as we have designed it and you are good to go"

I believe that and I'm going with it. I've seen the proof AT THE TRACK, so I'm good with it....

Last edited by Glennm27; 07-26-2011 at 09:46 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Tune vs warranty

Old 07-26-2011, 09:23 PM
P0234
Pro

Originally Posted by rayk
Over in the Duramax world, if your lose your engine, either regional or district technical rep will stop by to review the components arfter the teardown. Not the call of the dealship on the cause and if it's covered by the warranty.

If your pistons show excessive fuel and heat, they will deny the claim and put it in the system the warranty is void.
That is what I would expect from any manufacturer, an actual INSPECTION. If I have a tune and burn a hole in a piston due to excessively lean conditions, I expect the warranty to be voided on that part. If I drop a valve because of a factory defect, I expect that part to be covered, regardless of tune or not.

What is not right in the least is taking a glance at the ECM checksums and simply say "warranty denied." Plain and simple, that is a complete cop-out. I would expect them to check the ecu, and based on the results, investigate further.

Again, we have no direct evidence of anyone on this forum getting denied warranty coverage from a simple tune. I am certain plenty of myopic dealers have gone out of their way to cause trouble for people with tunes. The fact of the matter is, 9 out of 10 service advisors are simple paper pushers that have very little understanding of our cars. Heck, even a majority of the techs can't even LIFT the car correctly. They certainly have no business being, judge, jury and executioner.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:29 PM
Corvettinator
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

To this date there are NO tuners for GM vehicles that are undetectable or can be cleanly removed. Not even HP tuners or EFI live can get away with it. You want to bet your warranty on it, you go right ahead.

People are missing the ****ing point here, you shouldn't even be asking the dealer to fix your **** for free if it ****s up after you have altered ANYTHING, GM built the car to there specs, not yours. Period. Trying to get things fixed because of your choices to change out parts or software makes you no different then a thief robbing a bank. I dont care if you removed the CAGS, changed your tire size, or moved around the rev limiters, your still altering the programming that GM intended the car to run therefore they should no longer be liable for the repairs.

Just so you know i am not directly talking to the person I quoted here, but everyone in general.

If your to ****ing cheap to fix somthing on your car out of your own pocket, leave it stock, wait till its out of warranty. The cars are quicker from the factory then most people who buy them will ever be able to push them anyways.
I'd hope we could have a difference of opinion and remain civil, but obviously you cannot advocate your position without insulting people. So, since you set the tone, stop being such a weenie.

The fact is, GM sells cars with a warranty that is a contract of adhesion, a pre-printed form contract, in a take-it-or-leave-it fashion. At no time do car buyers have the option to negotiate the terms of the warranty, other than to extend it. I'm sure a lot of people here would gladly pay more for the option to tune, but it is not offered (yet they sell warranties for bolted-on 100HP+ Callaway superchargers?). The simple fact is, the only opportunity GM buyers have to advocate for their position is after the car is sold. As a lawyer, I will always advocate for my best interests, just as GM will with their scores of lawyers for their stockholders. Anyone who does not advocate for his best interests could be considered a fool and/or a sheep who does what he is told and bends over and takes it (again, you set the tone).

I simply do not think denying a drivetrain warranty for something that in no way (or magnitudes less than a GM-warrantied supercharger would) affects the drivetrain is reasonable.

And we've yet to see a warranty denied to someone who used a forum vendor tune.

Final thought: Factory replacement ECMs are available for a couple hundred bucks. How would GM detect that?
Old 07-26-2011, 09:38 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
Haven't we been thru this a 100 times before?
Yep, ad nauseam.

Quick Reply: Tune vs warranty