C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Nitrogen or regular air for tires?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 10:58 PM
corvettindy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Nitrogen or regular air for tires?

I have a 2007 c6 base corvette with aftermarket rims and tires. I brought the car used from the dealer and now it is saying that the tires are low on air and i am not sure which one to put regular air or nitrogen as i am unsure what they have in them right now. I have nitto invo tires with the z06 rims. Tire sizes are front 245/40zr18 and the back is 285/35zr19. If anyone has a solution please message or post here thanks!
Old 07-12-2011, 11:02 PM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 238 Posts

Nitrogen is not important for a road car. Like how many years have you been using air for your cars?
The following users liked this post:
Diamonddave60 (09-28-2022)
Old 07-12-2011, 11:11 PM
Thrash
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts
Tech Contributor

Did you get bit by the nitrogen bug? The whole nitro thing is bust, as the air around us is 78% nitro. Check out this LINK and see the light, and the air ...
Ralphp (09-29-2022)
Old 07-12-2011, 11:12 PM
GetupNRide
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would go with air. Never could see the benefit in paying extra to fill tires with Nitrogen. Regular air is 78% Nitrogen as it is and works just fine. Why complicate things?
The following 2 users liked this post by GetupNRide:
Diamonddave60 (09-28-2022), Ralphp (09-29-2022)
Old 07-12-2011, 11:15 PM
inthehunt2
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrash
Did you get bit by the nitrogen bug? The whole nitro thing is bust, as the air around us is 78% nitro. Check out this LINK and see the light, and the air ...
Diamonddave60 (09-28-2022)
Old 07-12-2011, 11:18 PM
inthehunt2
Melting Slicks

Mike - If you plan on racing her, go nitrogen for sure. As most articles state, nitrogen is certainly more stable over temperature. As I taught my younger son years ago who was racing, change your tire pressure by 1 psi and notice the difference in handling. Loose to neutral.. Push to neutral...

If you're gonna track the car on a road course or oval where you're gonna run it long enough to build up temperature AND where 1 psi can make a difference in handling, then go nitrogen. For all other applications, nitrogen is a waste. Go with good 'ole air that contains more than 70 nitrogen already...
The following 3 users liked this post by inthehunt2:
cgladish (09-26-2022), Diamonddave60 (09-28-2022), patdlangley (09-28-2022)
Old 07-12-2011, 11:22 PM
C-INRED
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

The only real practical advantage I see for nitrogen is that it is dry (compressed air isn't always) which can help prevent corrosion and failure of TPSs. Other than that (and maybe even that) is fluff IMO.

Last edited by C-INRED; 07-13-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:28 PM
dmporter31
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by GetupNRide
I would go with air. Never could see the benefit in paying extra to fill tires with Nitrogen. Regular air is 78% Nitrogen as it is and works just fine. Why complicate things?
Skip the snake oil too. Seriously - unless you're fighting at the track for 1/10ths there is no point unless you just want to give the vendor extra money for nothing. $0.02
patdlangley (09-28-2022)
Old 07-13-2011, 06:41 AM
inthehunt2
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dmporter31
Skip the snake oil too. Seriously - unless you're fighting at the track for 1/10ths there is no point unless you just want to give the vendor extra money for nothing. $0.02
patdlangley (09-28-2022)
Old 07-13-2011, 06:49 AM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by dmporter31
Ripp off.
patdlangley (09-28-2022)
Old 07-13-2011, 07:32 AM
djbrun
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts

Just make sure your air supply is dry.

DJ
Old 07-13-2011, 07:57 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

I'm going to find out for sure, but at this point I would not make hasty decisions. I bought a Lexus 19 months ago that the dealer had put nitrogen in. In that time I've never had to add air and the pressure has always been within 1 psi difference at the most (and is usually identical to previous readings).

Last week I had a nail in a tire and had it repaired at Discount Tire. As you would expect, they did not put the nitrogen in it. They did check and confirmed that they had all of the tires at the same pressure. I'll be watching to see if that one tire does vary over time compared to the others with nitrogen in them.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:57 AM
topper7788
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
I'm going to find out for sure, but at this point I would not make hasty decisions. I bought a Lexus 19 months ago that the dealer had put nitrogen in. In that time I've never had to add air and the pressure has always been within 1 psi difference at the most (and is usually identical to previous readings).

Last week I had a nail in a tire and had it repaired at Discount Tire. As you would expect, they did not put the nitrogen in it. They did check and confirmed that they had all of the tires at the same pressure. I'll be watching to see if that one tire does vary over time compared to the others with nitrogen in them.
nitrogen is very cool, fill it and basically forget it...BUT, thats if you get it done for free, paying for it for a street car is rather silly... But lots of guys have more $ then sense!! I generally check my tires around the first of every month and general have to add a little air..my B&D mini compressor is the best $45 I ever spent, I have it set for 30lbs, stick it on and it shuts itself off when the tire is topped off, no muss no fuss....
patdlangley (09-28-2022)
Old 07-13-2011, 09:01 AM
corvettindy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so basically regular air is the way to go? Thanks everyone for your answers, I appreciate it.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:10 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,149 Posts

The only advantage of nitrogen is that the nitrogen molecule is larger than an oxygen molecule and thus leaks out of the tire slower. But it still leaks out. The concept that nitrogen is less affected to pressure variations due to tire temperature is pure baloney. All gasses follow the ideal gas law.

An ideal gas is a theoretical gas composed of a set of randomly-moving, non-interacting point particles. The ideal gas concept is useful because it obeys the ideal gas law, a simplified equation of state, and is amenable to analysis under statistical mechanics.

At normal conditions such as standard temperature and pressure, most real gases behave qualitatively like an ideal gas. Many gases such as air, nitrogen, oxygen, hydrogen, noble gases, and some heavier gases like carbon dioxide can be treated like ideal gases within reasonable tolerances.[1
Slojack (09-26-2022)
Old 07-13-2011, 09:30 AM
HyperX
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I made a mistake of putting nitrogen in my tires on my van. When I got a puncture, I got air put into one tire. I notice all 4 tires loose and gain pressure the same during winter and summer. Nitrogen is a joke.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:30 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Put nitrogen in your tires only if:

1. You have more money than you know what to do with;

2. You want to have a problem finding a local merchant who has it when your tire(s) get low;

3. You've used the search option and you missed all these threads:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-in-tires.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...our-tires.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...eir-tires.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=2107673

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=2104186

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=2043592

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...light=nitrogen

Get notified of new replies

To Help! Nitrogen or regular air for tires?

Old 07-13-2011, 10:34 AM
inthehunt2
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
The only advantage of nitrogen is that the nitrogen molecule is larger than an oxygen molecule and thus leaks out of the tire slower. But it still leaks out. The concept that nitrogen is less affected to pressure variations due to tire temperature is pure baloney. All gasses follow the ideal gas law.

An ideal gas is a theoretical gas composed of a set of randomly-moving, non-interacting point particles. The ideal gas concept is useful because it obeys the ideal gas law, a simplified equation of state, and is amenable to analysis under statistical mechanics.

At normal conditions such as standard temperature and pressure, most real gases behave qualitatively like an ideal gas. Many gases such as air, nitrogen, oxygen, hydrogen, noble gases, and some heavier gases like carbon dioxide can be treated like ideal gases within reasonable tolerances.[1
Since this thread won't die (LOL), using the ideal gas law only applies when you're talking only gas, not gas mixed with liquid (ie... water in the air). When water is in the air, the ideal gas law is not a good model.

In brief, check out this article...

http://tirenitrogen.typepad.com/tire...re-change.html

Here's the first two paragraph. It spells out the major points...

"There is no significant difference in expansion and contraction characteristics of nitrogen compared to air when moisture is absent. Expansion or contraction of either gas, in relation to temperature change, occurs to a similar extent over the commonly encountered pressure and temperature ranges releveant to the discussion of tire inflation. There is no practical difference as long as the gases are dry in a fixed volume container such as a tire.

On the other hand, water is usually present in the case of conventional compressed air where dewpoints can be as high as 70F, compared with -50F for nitrogen. At lower temperatures, water (as a liquid) occupies very little volume. However, as temperature increases liquid water vaporizes to become a gas and its volume expands. This causes total tire pressure to be higher than it would be in the case of a dry gas, such as nitrogen. Thus the presence of water in a tire contributes to wild pressure variations as temperatures change
"
Old 07-13-2011, 11:35 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by JimTN
Put nitrogen in your tires only if:

1. You have more money than you know what to do with;.....
You need to remember that this is a Corvette forum. You are preaching to a group who most people think that is exactly what we are doing when we buy Corvettes to begin with
Old 07-13-2011, 11:43 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by jschindler
You need to remember that this is a Corvette forum. You are preaching to a group who most people think that is exactly what we are doing when we buy Corvettes to begin with
Yeah, my mistake, I forgot.

Quick Reply: Help! Nitrogen or regular air for tires?