C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody using Nitrogen in their tires?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 10:24 AM
jwreed50
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Anybody using Nitrogen in their tires?

They say it holds the tire pressure better and reduces tire wear. Does anyone have any experience running their C6 with nitrogen in the tires?
Old 07-10-2010, 10:29 AM
1999PewterCorvette
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 38 Posts

Absolutely.
I run nitrogen in my Z-06. Much less fluctuation in tire pressures. I used to see quite a fluctuation in pressures from tires heating up when using air, but nitrogen really does make a difference. As for tire wear, I haven't noticed any change.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:40 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

I use only pure ostrich breath. Not only is there no change in pressure, I've gotten 250,000 miles out of a set of tires and I only had to replace them because they were dirty on the outside. When they were removed from the wheels the inside smelled like lilacs.

Do a search. Nitrogen is mostly snake oil unless you regularly abuse your tires by adding water when you add air. Regular air is 78% nitrogen. A few more percent makes no difference. Any difference seen would come from nitrogen being dry while an air compressor without a functioning dryer and/or lack of maintenance, can introduce water to the tire which expands more when liquid water turns to vapor. Without liquid water, all major gasses in air follow the ideal gas law fairly closely and that included nitrogen.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:41 AM
GreySteele06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a special blend that has about 78% Nitrogen.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:06 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

use the search feature for 'nitrogen' - - there have been hundreds of spirited discussions beating this topic to death without resolution.

Happy reading.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:12 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Costco fills all their tires with nitrogen by default and for free.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:15 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

About the only thing Nitrogen will do...is make your wallet lighter.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:38 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

One of the major problems with filling your tires with nitrogen is that very few service stations have it. If you have a low tire, you might have to drive for days to find someone who's got it.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:47 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,211 Likes on 823 Posts

Originally Posted by GreySteele06
Yes....I've been using this all my life. The HP boost in incredible...

We may need to open up and give ostrich breath a try though...

IF we can find one without it's head in the sand..
Old 07-10-2010, 12:54 PM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

There is nitrogen in my tires just because that is what the tire installer used. Whenever they need topped off I will fire up the air compressor.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:09 PM
Jcrumpley
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use helium so the tire last forever because it makes the car fly. You can get if free from clowns.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:29 PM
Mtnvettes
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To answer your question that is not in the snappy reply mode, I do not run nitrogen in my C6, but I do in both my C5s and did in my C4. The nitrogen in the C5s has had the oxygen removed first, and before it is pumped into the tires, the tires are evacuated by the same machine. No loss in pressure yet. In my C4, the dealer put nitrogen in the tires, but did not remove the oxygen nor evacuate the tire other than removing the valves to let the air escape. The C4 did not lose more than 1 psi over the winter in storage, and my spare did not lose any pressure. BTW, when nitrogen is added to the tires, the valve cap is usually replaced with a green cap to indicate that nitrogen has been used. For the C5 with run flats and tire pressure sensors, a special metal cap is used so that the TPS can transmit its signal. Only the top is green. On my C5 Z06, no TPS, a standard metal cap is used that is also green. I suggest that you don't use the plastic valve cap that some dealers provide. The reason I have not used the nitrogen in my 08 is that I still have the original GY EMTs on it and have not bothered changing. I do own a large compressor and check the tires regularily with a digital gage. Nitrogen is a larger molecule than oxygen, and therefore does not pass thru the tire pores as readily as oxygen, thus maintaining pressure longer. Also, oxygen is a strong oxidant and will weather the tires from the inside as well as the outside. Nitrogen does not do this. What I do not understand is why Shell Oil is hyping the nitrogen in their gasoline. I have not noticed any difference in power, mpg, or price. My guess is that it is an oxide of nitrogen and the oxygen is similar to the alcohol added to gasoline during the winter months to reduce emissions. I use Shell mostly (also Phillips and Conoco) because it is a Top Tier fuel. Hope this answers your question.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:58 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
I use only pure ostrich breath. Not only is there no change in pressure, I've gotten 250,000 miles out of a set of tires and I only had to replace them because they were dirty on the outside. When they were removed from the wheels the inside smelled like lilacs.

Do a search. Nitrogen is mostly snake oil unless you regularly abuse your tires by adding water when you add air. Regular air is 78% nitrogen. A few more percent makes no difference. Any difference seen would come from nitrogen being dry while an air compressor without a functioning dryer and/or lack of maintenance, can introduce water to the tire which expands more when liquid water turns to vapor. Without liquid water, all major gasses in air follow the ideal gas law fairly closely and that included nitrogen.

The only reason nitrogen was used for aircraft then race car tires is that is was manufactured and therefore water free, there just isn't a market for manufactured dry air.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:20 PM
PatriotZ
Melting Slicks

Location: "No matter where you go... there you are"...."You cannot drive a dollar bill". ...and remember... "D
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999PewterCorvette
Absolutely.
I run nitrogen in my Z-06. Much less fluctuation in tire pressures. I used to see quite a fluctuation in pressures from tires heating up when using air, but nitrogen really does make a difference. As for tire wear, I haven't noticed any change.

Originally Posted by cclive
Costco fills all their tires with nitrogen by default and for free.

Well for the nay sayers...if you don't like it then don't use it....if you haven't used it...then shut up!
NASCAR. NHRA, INDY, RALLIES, SPORTS CAR races... etc,etc, must all be silly to go this route, in the nay sayers world. ( I wonder why these organizations still use it)
IMO both the above posts and are right on!...
Old 07-10-2010, 02:39 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,578 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Originally Posted by GreySteele06
I use the same stuff - works great for me - but let's keep that a secret or too many people may want to start using it....
Old 07-10-2010, 02:55 PM
cnw
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

In my vert, I use helium. It is lighter and more plentiful.

I had a friend who used to run hydrogen. That is until with heat build up, he blew two of them off his vette simultaneously. Boy that was rude. He was skidding along on nothing but rims. Which with time he found he like on railroad tracks.

Craig

Last edited by cnw; 07-10-2010 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:58 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by maj z06

The only reason nitrogen was used for aircraft then race car tires is that is was manufactured and therefore water free, there just isn't a market for manufactured dry air.
Originally Posted by patriotz

Well for the nay sayers...if you don't like it then don't use it....if you haven't used it...then shut up!
Nascar. Nhra, indy, rallies, sports car races... Etc,etc, must all be silly to go this route, in the nay sayers world. ( i wonder why these organizations still use it)
imo both the above posts and are right on!...
rif It's not the Nitrogen that makes the difference it's the lack of water that does.

Get notified of new replies

To Anybody using Nitrogen in their tires?

Old 07-10-2010, 03:08 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yup, been using 80% Nitrogen in my tire's, for long as memory serve's. Just messing, as it's alway's just been from the Sear's compressor in my garage. Don't think there's any harm using dry Nitrogen from the tire store tank, but not exactly tripping over myself to get it.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:08 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

I fill mine with rum.

It's a 2fer
Old 07-10-2010, 03:13 PM
AtHomeSoda
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default ah...

Originally Posted by Jcrumpley
I use helium so the tire last forever because it makes the car fly. You can get if free from clowns.
Clowns are scary...I think I will stick with the 78% nitrogen blend...

Quick Reply: Anybody using Nitrogen in their tires?