C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FOB - how to open

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 11:26 AM
Steve Zaino
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default FOB - how to open

I would like t know how to open the FOB for my 2008 coupe so that I can change the battery?

When I look, I don't see any apparent slots etc anywhere around the edge of the seam in the plastic case.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:31 AM
hondaamer
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Zaino
I would like t know how to open the FOB for my 2008 coupe so that I can change the battery?

When I look, I don't see any apparent slots etc anywhere around the edge of the seam in the plastic case.
Just pull the key out and pry apart with your fingers.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:48 AM
MarkRx
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

quarter works good too
Old 07-02-2011, 11:53 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

2008 owner's manual, page 2-9:

1. Insert a flat object with a thin edge into the slot on
the side or back of the transmitter and separate the
bottom half from the top half.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:51 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Zaino

There aren't any slots. Pull the key out and pry with a quarter on the end where the key fits.

The Dealer attempted to open mine for some reason and handed it to me in pieces with a "promise" that they would get me a new fob and program it for me. 2 phone calls and no response so I gave up on the Dealer and put it back together myself, I'll live with the gouges and marks the Dealer made on the fob before I'll let them touch my car again.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:04 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by JimTN
2008 owner's manual, page 2-9:
I'm sorry, maybe I'm just crabby today, but why do we need to have senseless questions being asked on this forum, when all most people need to do is read their manual and use common sense. Sorry, just having a bad day. Needed to vent a little.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:02 PM
c1vettes
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speedlink
I'm sorry, maybe I'm just crabby today, but why do we need to have senseless questions being asked on this forum, when all most people need to do is read their manual and use common sense. Sorry, just having a bad day. Needed to vent a little.
This really is a problem for most people. Heck, even the dealer above broke the case in attempting to open it. I slightly cracked mine attempting to open mine initially.

My solution turned out to be to use an eyeglass screwdriver. It helps to have something small to work your way around the case as they crack easily.

Oh, by the way, I hope you have a better day tomorrow.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:09 PM
mcc978
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,’18,’19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Funny thing is that I tried to open as per the manual, cracked the case and my dealer replaced it for free under warranty. So some dealers aren't bad but I am still weary on letting them do some things.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:18 PM
usraptor
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Replaced the batteries in both my fobs today. Quarter opened both cases just fine. It was harder to snap them back together than to take them apart.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:26 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm sorry, maybe I'm just crabby today, but why do we need to have senseless questions being asked on this forum, when all most people need to do is read their manual...
The manual is a good place to start. And I agree that it's annoying when someone is too lazy to take that first step.

But sometimes there's more info that is helpful.

For instance, the manual doesn't say anything about lubing the fob o-ring with a little silicone grease. This makes the fob easier to open next time.

And some folks have reported problems with the gridded surface of a Rayovac batteries.

More tips & discussion:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...y-warning.html

Last edited by CO Lightfoot; 07-02-2011 at 08:28 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:41 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by CO Lightfoot
The manual is a good place to start. And I agree that it's annoying when someone is too lazy to take that first step.

But sometimes there's more info that is helpful.

For instance, the manual doesn't say anything about lubing the fob o-ring with a little silicone grease. This makes the fob easier to open next time.

And some folks have reported problems with the gridded surface of a Rayovac batteries.

More tips & discussion:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...y-warning.html
Point taken. Like I said before just not patient today. Probably shouldn't be posting today.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:27 PM
PHulst
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll agree with the above - I followed the manual instructions and broke mine from my 2008. After seeing how it is built I have no idea how you would actually take it apart without either gouging the sides or breaking it. "Maybe" a putty knife on the non-key end. Don't admonish the OP for asking as it sure isn't obvious when you read the owner's manual and then inspect the fob. It's not like earlier fobs with a nice slot for your dime or quarter to pop it open.

The side with the logo is only a "shell" on the outside of the fob, and if you insert something inside the fob to try and pop it open you will break it. Yes, I speak from experience.

Either there is a trick to opening the 08 and later fobs that is not mentioned on this board (I've searched), or there is a GM tool to do it, or GM just wants to sell lots of $100 fobs. I look forward to learning the trick so that when my #2 fob battery dies I don't break that one too.

Patrick
Old 07-03-2011, 12:07 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by CO Lightfoot
The silicone also makes it much easier to snap the halves back together. Always snap the fob open and closed when it is warm...if the fob is cold, like in winter, it will be much easier to crack it. Warmer the better...leave it in the sun for a few minutes before messing with it.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:17 AM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,739 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

To the original poster GOOD question was looking at my 08 fob and was wondering how I was going to open it to replace the battery when it is dead and I did read the manual and it did not help with a solution. Thanks to the forum members that give great info PROBLEM SOLVED!
Old 07-03-2011, 07:09 AM
BSE1956
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I found it really really hard to open the case and had to use so much force that I was actually scared of breaking it. Seems excessive, but that's how it's made.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:53 PM
Sp00ky
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Im currently having the time of my life trying to put both the little bastards back together. I found this thread and didn't think of silicone. Now to get some...I'm afraid to use any more force to snap them together.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:24 PM
PHulst
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sp00ky
Im currently having the time of my life trying to put both the little bastards back together. I found this thread and didn't think of silicone. Now to get some...I'm afraid to use any more force to snap them together.
The problem isn't getting them back together - just squeeze.
The problem is getting them apart without breakage.

Get notified of new replies

To FOB - how to open

Old 07-06-2011, 05:37 PM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 238 Posts

Now now....
Old 04-02-2013, 03:31 PM
ralphrides
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default how to open Corvette C6 2010 key fob

Hi, make sure the fob is warm, about body temperature. Remove the key and face the buttons up, If you have strong thumb finger nails gently place your finger nail in the seam at the corner by the lock icon button. Rock your finger nail in gently or place both in the seam, nail side top of right to nail side top left to act as a prying tool, and it will separate with ease. Once it starts to open, slide your finger nail down to the long side to where the key was. It should easily open like a clam shell. Do this on a soft covered table top to catch all the parts. Replace the battery and snap back in the reverse of above. If you have to force it, try again on the other edge. If you do not have strong finger nails, you can use the edge of an old credit card, If you have trouble catching he edge, you can sharpen the card a bit but don't make it sharp enough to cut yourself.

I would not use a metal knife as it will damage the fob plastic and you can cut yourself if you slip.

Last edited by ralphrides; 04-02-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:21 PM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,505 Likes on 3,590 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Checkout this link!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...ement-diy.html

Quick Reply: FOB - how to open