C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fob Battery's

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 10:37 AM
1320IN9
Le Mans Master

Received 104 Likes on 56 Posts

Default Fob Battery's

Could not get in the car today, used the key to pop the hatch, got in and it fired right up. Do I need new fob batteries? They are original 5 year old batteries. Thanks
Old 05-22-2011, 10:46 AM
Cybernetic Medic
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gregs94
Could not get in the car today, used the key to pop the hatch, got in and it fired right up. Do I need new fob batteries? They are original 5 year old batteries. Thanks
I assume you mean neither FOB would work. It seems odd that they would both fail the same day. In any case, the batteries are cheap and readily available so just change them.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:50 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 153 Likes on 73 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by gregs94
Most likely fob batteries. Battery is CR2032 and available at must drug stores, autoparts stores, Walmarts, Radio Shacks and the like. Pretty easy swap and not terribly expensive to try.

Not knowing the circumstances of where you were when it happened, it could have been electrical interference from cell phone, cell tower, in car accessories, etc. In the meantime, batteries are a cheap, easy thing to try first.

Last edited by talon90; 05-22-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:25 AM
1320IN9
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by talon90
Most likely fob batteries. Battery is CR2032 and available at must drug stores, autoparts stores, Walmarts, Radio Shacks and the like. Pretty easy swap and not terribly expensive to try.

Not knowing the circumstances of where you were when it happened, it could have been
electrical interference from cell
phone, cell tower, in car
accessories, etc. In the
meantime, batteries are a
cheap, easy thing to try
first.
I was at my storage garage, both fobs did not work, I'll try the new batteries and see if that works, but right now they are working
Old 05-22-2011, 11:58 AM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Some tips (esp. #12):
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...y-warning.html
Old 05-22-2011, 04:47 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

A couple of tips to add since I just yesterday went through this with my wife's fob.

- Close the case by starting at the end away from the ring. Latch that end then work towards the ring. I can do it with my fingers (big pressure, though.) No need to jump on it

- Putting a volt meter to the battery that was "going bad" showed the voltage at 2.45 volts (on a 3 volt Energizer battery.) You'd think that would be enough to work the thing but it was very spotty. Replacing the battery fixed it right up.

Get Energizers. This is not a time/place to try and save $2

Z//
Old 05-22-2011, 09:03 PM
1320IN9
Le Mans Master

thanks, i'll try some batteries tomorrow
Old 05-23-2011, 12:28 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 684 Likes on 508 Posts

Let us know how the new batteries work out!

Good luck,

Brent
GM Customer Service
Old 05-24-2011, 12:43 PM
PHulst
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Silly question - the link referenced above talks about using a nickel to open an 05-07 fob. I had to replace the battery in my 08 fob today and that thing was a *#$%& to open. Ended up with a bit of broken plastic as well as there is no way a nickel will fit into the tiny groove, and screwdrivers just gall the plastic.

Any tips for opening up 08 and up fobs without galling the plastic or breaking it?

And where to get a new 08 fob at a good price?
Old 05-24-2011, 12:53 PM
florida john
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PHulst
Silly question - the link referenced above talks about using a nickel to open an 05-07 fob. I had to replace the battery in my 08 fob today and that thing was a *#$%& to open. Ended up with a bit of broken plastic as well as there is no way a nickel will fit into the tiny groove, and screwdrivers just gall the plastic.

Any tips for opening up 08 and up fobs without galling the plastic or breaking it?

And where to get a new 08 fob at a good price?
I found my extra two fobs on eBay. I had to keep scanning the postings for a couple of months to find one cheap. One was a new unit with an uncut key, the other had a cut key from a totalled C6 (I don't know the exact cost, but the used one was really cheap).
Old 05-24-2011, 12:55 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,589 Likes on 1,626 Posts

I replace batteries in the fob at two year intervals. Cheap insurance.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:03 PM
p35hp
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Changed batteries in more than a few "fobs" over the years. The C6 fob was not hard to open but not as easy as the others. Started the change with a wide screwdriver and then went to a thin bladed steak knife to finish. Getting it back together does require some serious thumb pressure. I'm lucky as my Dog's reciever collar for the underground fence uses the same battery. Always have plenty of spares around.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:36 PM
richard5657
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im having a similar issue, but i cant figure it out.

Installed some HID fog lamps, did passenger side first. No issues. Turned car to on position to check they were working, they were.

Driver side went smooth and connections are correct. When i tried to turn car on, got no fob detected. I put the fob into the slot in the glove box, and the car started freaking out. The instrument panel lights were switching on/off very fast, almost like strobe light speed.

Freaked me out, so i removed the fob, but it still was acting like that. Disconnected the batter cable in the trunk.

After i connected it, neither fob will unlock doors via buttons on fob, or walking next to driver door. Trunk pop buttons are not working now.

I'm hoping it's a fob battery issue, and a friend is on the way to bring some new batteries now. Will post back later, hopefully with a car that can crank.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:54 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by richard5657
Im having a similar issue, but i cant figure it out.

Installed some HID fog lamps, did passenger side first. No issues. Turned car to on position to check they were working, they were.

Driver side went smooth and connections are correct. When i tried to turn car on, got no fob detected. I put the fob into the slot in the glove box, and the car started freaking out. The instrument panel lights were switching on/off very fast, almost like strobe light speed.

Freaked me out, so i removed the fob, but it still was acting like that. Disconnected the batter cable in the trunk.

After i connected it, neither fob will unlock doors via buttons on fob, or walking next to driver door. Trunk pop buttons are not working now.

I'm hoping it's a fob battery issue, and a friend is on the way to bring some new batteries now. Will post back later, hopefully with a car that can crank.
While this might be a low fob battery, it sounds more like a low car battery to me....put a charger on it for a while and see what happens.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:16 PM
tkr
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Starting at the key side[key removed] the nickle works the best. To close start at the other end with the door key tab icons are facing you and press them closed working toward the metal key end.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:16 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

And wipe a little silicone of any kind on the gasket, it will make it snap together much more easily.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:50 PM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

If the batteries are 5 years old you should change them regardless of the cause. Why ask for more trouble.

Get notified of new replies

To Fob Battery's

Old 05-24-2011, 11:13 PM
PHulst
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tkr
Starting at the key side[key removed] the nickle works the best. To close start at the other end with the door key tab icons are facing you and press them closed working toward the metal key end.
I could barely get a scalpel blade into the side groove on my fob to open it, much less a nickel. A dime would have been almost impossible. So, I gently tried a screwdriver and all it did is gall the plastic without opening the fob. Continued efforts brought about opening it but not without plastic breaking.

I can pop open the fob for my GMC truck or Pontiac minivan in about 2 seconds; this one for my 08 is a real PITA.

I'll probably have to find something in flat, thin, sturdy plastic or maybe a putty knife.

Other suggestions accepted.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:47 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,054 Likes on 1,364 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Our 2009 is less than three years old, 33k miles, my fob again started giving the occasional 'won't open' with the doors and occasional "no fobs detected" when trying to start. I replaced it last night, that's the third battery in this fob. I have the buttons protected so they are not getting pressed while in my pocket. They just don't last very long for me.

We have a 2006 fob as a spare, changing the batter is easy (start with a coin, then use a small screwdriver). It also has a nice gasket inside.

Our 2009 fobs are a PITA- need to use a knife on the joint and be very careful. Also, I don't see any gasket. Aside from being bigger and sharper cornered, the 2009 buttons easily get pressed in my pocket; so much that I had to make protectors for them.
IMHO, the 2009 fob is a major step backwards, compared to the 2006.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:04 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by C6Joy
If the batteries are 5 years old you should change them regardless of the cause. Why ask for more trouble.
about 2 months ago my FOB batteries started to go, kept getting the "no fob detected" message, my car is an 07 and had the original batteries , so yeah at 5 years you are pressing your luck.

Quick Reply: Fob Battery's