C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting calipers red...

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 11:30 PM
alohaalex
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting calipers red...

Have you done this in your car? any tips, advices, things not to do?
where did you get the paint and what else should i get?
Thank you.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:41 PM
Marc V.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get them powerder coated.

Someone will chime in with a recommendation of who does a great job at a reasonable price. I think the guys name is Mike the powdercoater.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:45 PM
Marc V.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think this is him.

http://www.thepowdercoater.com/
Old 12-22-2010, 11:59 PM
Salt
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I painted mine, used Duplicolor Caliper paint kit available at any NAPA auto store, it's been 3 years now and still going strong. Check the FAQ section above scroll down to Other Mods and select brake caliper painting.. some basic info available, and as stated before fairly simple process, follow the instructions that come with the kit, The cleaning step is important to the end result, do not rush. make sure you place the jack stands in an safe area of the frame, you have to remove the wheels, Be careful jacking up your car. After the cleaning step is completed and dry use newspaper to mask the rotors and anything else you don't want paint on, than go for it! be sure to put at least 2 coats, let dry than spray with a clear coat. Also as mentioned by others I also bought a few small and medium paint brushes, the ones that come with the paint kit are a little weak,

Good luck and post a few pic's when done, Aloha, ..Salt
Old 12-23-2010, 12:06 AM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,374 Likes on 793 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

I've helped a couple of friends do this and they turned out great. It's a fun project. Clean, clean and mask carefully.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...rrow-tips.html
Old 12-23-2010, 12:14 AM
alohaalex
Instructor

Originally Posted by Salt
I painted mine, used Duplicolor Caliper paint kit available at any NAPA auto store, it's been 3 years now and still going strong. Check the FAQ section above scroll down to Other Mods and select brake caliper painting.. some basic info available, and as stated before fairly simple process, follow the instructions that come with the kit, The cleaning step is important to the end result, do not rush. make sure you place the jack stands in an safe area of the frame, you have to remove the wheels, Be careful jacking up your car. After the cleaning step is completed and dry use newspaper to mask the rotors and anything else you don't want paint on, than go for it! be sure to put at least 2 coats, let dry than spray with a clear coat. Also as mentioned by others I also bought a few small and medium paint brushes, the ones that come with the paint kit are a little weak,

Wowwwww it looks great, this is exactly what I'm looking for because I want to do this on a weekend and I can't spend a lot of money so I think that paiting them will be a good option. Question do I have to use an air can or I can paint them with a brush? I would like to do it with a brush because I will have more control and I can keep the letters with the original color. Let me know what you think, you did an awnsome job
Old 12-23-2010, 12:22 AM
E Stumpff
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You don't need to mask off the "Corvette" letters on the caliper. Just paint around them as best you can and then after the paint is dry use a razor blade to scrap the paint off the letters leaving you with nice shiny aluminium letters. Works every time.

ED
Old 12-23-2010, 01:24 AM
alohaalex
Instructor

Originally Posted by BearZ06
I've helped a couple of friends do this and they turned out great. It's a fun project. Clean, clean and mask carefully.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...rrow-tips.html
Good link, thanks
Old 12-23-2010, 01:27 AM
alohaalex
Instructor

Originally Posted by Salt

Hey Salt, last question what do you do on your wheels to make them look so good, I have the same rings and my look like sh...
Thanks again
Old 12-23-2010, 01:28 AM
anothercrisis
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08

MOST importantly make sure whatever you are going to paint is CLEAN. I know. I had to paint mine twice.

Old 12-23-2010, 04:12 AM
Salt
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by alohaalex
Hey Salt, last question what do you do on your wheels to make them look so good, I have the same rings and my look like sh...
Thanks again
alohaalex, Painting with the caliper paint set requires brushes, the application is quite easy, just take your time, as stated earlier the cleaning step is important, follow instructions, let dry completely before painting. As far as my wheels, 1) Clean 2) Clean again, 3) polish, I use Mothers Mag and Alum. polish, 4) buff and shine like a banchee
Good luck and if you need more help go ahead and PM me and we can talk story,
Old 12-23-2010, 04:35 AM
Armalite
Instructor

I have done this and used the Duplicolor caliper paint kit that another forum member mentioned. From personal experience:

(1) Clean the calipers THOROUGHLY. You don't want any brake dust or rust on there or the paint will peal and fall off. When you think they're clean and ready to go, clean them one more time just to be sure. I cannot stress this enough.

(2) Mask the Corvette letters with petroleum jelly or chap stick. Others have mentioned that paint easily scraps off of the letters, but petro jelly and chap stick are even easier to apply and certainly easier to remove. It's quick and perfectly guards the letters. No reason not to do it, imo.

(3) Take your time and do multiple coats (I did 3 coats per caliper). Try and do the best job that you can on the first coat, since that will be the one that is sticking to the calipers themselves.

(4) Enjoy! The paint kit cost me (iirc) $14 and it really pops. One of the cheapest modifications you can do, and it looks great
Old 12-23-2010, 08:19 AM
alohaalex
Instructor

Originally Posted by Armalite
I have done this and used the Duplicolor caliper paint kit that another forum member mentioned. From personal experience:

(1) Clean the calipers THOROUGHLY. You don't want any brake dust or rust on there or the paint will peal and fall off. When you think they're clean and ready to go, clean them one more time just to be sure. I cannot stress this enough.

(2) Mask the Corvette letters with petroleum jelly or chap stick. Others have mentioned that paint easily scraps off of the letters, but petro jelly and chap stick are even easier to apply and certainly easier to remove. It's quick and perfectly guards the letters. No reason not to do it, imo.

(3) Take your time and do multiple coats (I did 3 coats per caliper). Try and do the best job that you can on the first coat, since that will be the one that is sticking to the calipers themselves.

(4) Enjoy! The paint kit cost me (iirc) $14 and it really pops. One of the cheapest modifications you can do, and it looks great
yeap I can't wait to do it, now I just noticed that my car does not come with a car jack so I will need to buy one. Thank you
Old 12-23-2010, 08:36 AM
Buy-Low
Racer

Duplicolor and then wire buffed the paint off the raised corvette logo.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:18 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,149 Posts

Default G-2 Manufacturing Brake Caliper PaintSystem Set

Since you want to paint with a brush and no one has suggested this kit, I will. This is what I used. G-2 Paint.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/acces...tail.jsp?ID=41

Unlike the other paints mentioned this is a two part paint with paint and a hardener. It's a high temperature epoxy paint that is very tough. Once painted on the caliper it "flows" to hide any brush strokes and ends up with a beautiful gloss finish.

Get a set of small artist bushes because the one in the kit is useless. Mix up half the paint/hardener and do two calipers and when done with them mix up the rest and do the other two. Don't worry about the Corvette lettering, just dab the paint between the letters and as you go just wipe the wet paint off of the letters with a rag. When the paint has dried take some fine emory paper to the letters to remove any residual paint and polish the letters. No need to remove the calipers from the car. Good luck. Here's mine:

Last edited by Walt White Coupe; 12-23-2010 at 09:21 AM.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:40 AM
Dave_C6
Racer

IMO the stock C6 calipers don't look all that good to begin with; painting them just draws attention to how small they look compared to the Z-06 calipers. I prefer to leave 'em stock.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:04 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,259 Likes on 920 Posts

I have done several sets for folks. The information here on this thread is all good information. If you are going to paint them the two main things to remember is to get them squeaky clean before you start and just take your time. If you are going to use the spray can method remember the cover the car with old bed sheets or something to keep the spray drift off the rest of the car. If not you will need to claybar and wax the entire car afterward. Good luck with the project.

Get notified of new replies

To Painting calipers red...

Old 12-23-2010, 07:03 PM
alohaalex
Instructor

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
Since you want to paint with a brush and no one has suggested this kit, I will. This is what I used. G-2 Paint.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/acces...tail.jsp?ID=41

Unlike the other paints mentioned this is a two part paint with paint and a hardener. It's a high temperature epoxy paint that is very tough. Once painted on the caliper it "flows" to hide any brush strokes and ends up with a beautiful gloss finish.

Get a set of small artist bushes because the one in the kit is useless. Mix up half the paint/hardener and do two calipers and when done with them mix up the rest and do the other two. Don't worry about the Corvette lettering, just dab the paint between the letters and as you go just wipe the wet paint off of the letters with a rag. When the paint has dried take some fine emory paper to the letters to remove any residual paint and polish the letters. No need to remove the calipers from the car. Good luck. Here's mine:
It looks like it came from factory like that.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:02 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,506 Likes on 819 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
That is also what I used, see for yourself:

Old 12-23-2010, 08:07 PM
BAblackvette
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Did these on both of my vettes, my stang, my dad's 09 cyber (painted body color). Its pretty easy, used chap stick over the corvette letters and scrapped off after paint dried. also dropped the caliper and took out the pad so it wouldnt get sprayed. Had to paint mine again after a year, I drive my car alot and they got a little beat.

Quick Reply: Painting calipers red...