C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HUD Shaking

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 03:42 AM
dissediver
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default HUD Shaking

My HUD image on my windshield has began to shake. Any thoughts on what I need to do to fix it or what is causing this?I am having my windshield replaced next week and was thinking about getting the HUD issue addressed as well. Any suggestions or thoughts appreciated. Thanks!
Old 09-18-2010, 07:03 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Duct tape?

Sounds like you have a loose mounting bolt. I believe you have to have the dash removed.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:44 AM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Here's a good thread on the shaky HUD problem: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...d-shaking.html

If the HUD is damaged, there's lots to consider:

1. To fix it, the HUD has to be removed. Maybe it can be repaired. But will the repair work? And how long will it last? Might as well get a new one -- I think it's about $225 from partstaxi.com.

2. One method to remove & replace the HUD involves removing the dash. I believe this is a 6-8 hour job at a dealer. Detailed instructions & pics here: http://www.theredlion.us/C6%20HUD%20...%20Rev%202.pdf

3. Another method involves "cutting the duct." MUCH simpler and far easier. An experienced installer can do this in an about an hour. The duct is re-installed, so HVAC functions are not affected.

4. DIY if you're handy. Lots of forum members have added HUD to 1LT/2LT cars; your job would be easier b/c you don't need a new wiring harness. Here's a thread with tips, pics & links: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...my-09-1lt.html

5. Maybe there's a forum member near you that's done this job and could walk you thru it.

6. A non-HUD windshield is cheaper than the HUD version. IIRC, Talon90 compared both and concluded that the non-HUD is about 90% as good.

Last edited by CO Lightfoot; 09-18-2010 at 08:48 AM.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:59 AM
Ratchet Thunderbolt
Pro

Originally Posted by CO Lightfoot
Here's a good thread on the shaky HUD problem: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...d-shaking.html

If the HUD is damaged, there's lots to consider:

1. To fix it, the HUD has to be removed. Maybe it can be repaired. But will the repair work? And how long will it last? Might as well get a new one -- I think it's about $225 from partstaxi.com.

2. One method to remove & replace the HUD involves removing the dash. I believe this is a 6-8 hour job at a dealer. Detailed instructions & pics here: http://www.theredlion.us/C6%20HUD%20...%20Rev%202.pdf

3. Another method involves "cutting the duct." MUCH simpler and far easier. An experienced installer can do this in an about an hour. The duct is re-installed, so HVAC functions are not affected.

4. DIY if you're handy. Lots of forum members have added HUD to 1LT/2LT cars; your job would be easier b/c you don't need a new wiring harness. Here's a thread with tips, pics & links: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...my-09-1lt.html

5. Maybe there's a forum member near you that's done this job and could walk you thru it.

6. A non-HUD windshield is cheaper than the HUD version. IIRC, Talon90 compared both and concluded that the non-HUD is about 90% as good.
Great informational post
Old 09-18-2010, 07:30 PM
dissediver
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
Duct tape?

Sounds like you have a loose mounting bolt. I believe you have to have the dash removed.
Oil would not flow from the Gulf of Mexico if commercial divers didn't have duct tape!
Old 09-18-2010, 08:25 PM
dissediver
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the info, good PDF DIY!
Old 10-07-2010, 06:53 PM
dlboyd41
Intermediate

Hey all, i have had this car for two months and love it, The HUD has never worked. After reading post on this topic last night i decided to check it out. Today i looked down on the mirror and low and behold i could see it so the projector is working,yea! When i move the up/down i can see the little arm travel up/down and it dims a turns off. The mirror does not move with the little arm so i assume it has come loose. I don't want to take the dash of because i am barely a newb. Can i get to it through the cluster??
I have read so many post now i am confused. If someone could direct me I will appreciate it. I just want to get the unit out so i can fix it.. Thank you all and Great Site
Old 10-07-2010, 07:39 PM
Jcrumpley
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a tiny little screw holding an equally tiny plastic bracket that the mirror pivots on. That tiny plastic bracket breaks and causes the shaking. I have had a broken one apart, and in my judgement, buying a new one is worth it as the labor to have to take it out again wouldn't be worth the cost of the new hud. I tried super glue, gorilla glue, etc. and nothing would hold the bracket together since it has a very small glueable surface at the point where it breaks.

You can not take the hud apart without removing it. It has about 5 screws that hold the top and bottom half together. If you were really desparate, you could break through the lexan cover and try to glue it. The hud will work without the lexan cover, but you chance things falling in there, besides the way it looks without a bezel. The bezel is very brittle and will break into many pieces if you break it at all. Even with the bezel off and the hud in the dash, it is near impossible to reach inside where you would need to glue things.

Last edited by Jcrumpley; 10-07-2010 at 07:42 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:08 PM
jsims002
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be the harmonic balancer.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:18 PM
dlboyd41
Intermediate

Does any one know if i can get it out without removing the dash and go through the cluster?? And maybe a link on how to do so thanks.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:24 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dlboyd41
Hey all, i have had this car for two months and love it, The HUD has never worked. After reading post on this topic last night i decided to check it out. Today i looked down on the mirror and low and behold i could see it so the projector is working,yea! When i move the up/down i can see the little arm travel up/down and it dims a turns off. The mirror does not move with the little arm so i assume it has come loose. I don't want to take the dash of because i am barely a newb. Can i get to it through the cluster??
I have read so many post now i am confused. If someone could direct me I will appreciate it. I just want to get the unit out so i can fix it.. Thank you all and Great Site
Welcome to the C6 Forum! But, um, your profile says you have a 2000 Corvette. So you definitely want C5-specific advice. Ask the guys on the C5 Forum for help.

I assume you've checked the obvious:

1. HUD fuses okay?

2. With the engine running, set your HUD brightness at max with the (+) control. Then adjust the up/down control thru its full range.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:53 PM
jcmarathon
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure where you live but I drove to Murfreesboro, Tn where Madvette Dave installed mine. The dash has to be loose which means out with the console, steering wheel, and radio. Personally I would not cut anything to get to it. Just me.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:18 AM
dlboyd41
Intermediate

Sorry Guys I did not realize i jumped forums. While i am here i will say the fuse is good, I can see the projection if i look into the mirror. Tonight I saw it from inside the car in the garage with all lights out, had to lift myself high in the seat (with the top out) and I could see the top half of the display, I could lower it and it would go away. So i guess it is there and out of alignment. I just want to get it working. May Have to go to Tenn. I apologize again for hitting the wrong thread. Thank you all.

Get notified of new replies

To HUD Shaking

Quick Reply: HUD Shaking