C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sad news of fellow Corvette enthusiast

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 11:12 AM
AVENGER
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Sad news of fellow Corvette enthusiast

I would like to share this information with my fellow Corvette Brothers & Sisters that I received via our Club Network E-mail. I didn't know Steve Hurst personally, however I wish his family my heartfelt sorrow for their lost

Please keep Steve and his family in your prayers!
E-mail Received - with timeline:
Sent: Monday, August 16, 2010 9:24 AM
Subject: Sad news of fellow Corvette enthusiast

Team NCM (Staff and Board).....Steve and Jan Hurst were on their way to the NCM this morning about 7:30 am as participants in the Delivery Reunion. After entering I-65 heading north at Exit 22, they were in the right lane with a tractor trailer in the middle lane. About MM 24 they were easing past the tractor trailer and still in the right lane which they had been since they got on I-65. The truck decided to move to the right lane. The truck clipped the left front of the Corvette and the Corvette started spinning around and I think flipped and then hit guardrails. The car was just demolished. Gary and Torie Cockriel were on their way to the NCM and was about the 3rd car to arrive. Gary stayed with them until the ambulance left with them.

Steve was airlifted to Nashville – Vanderbilt Hospital. Jan was taken the Medical Center in Bowling Green. Jan has a very bruised right shoulder and it is in a sling; a good knot on her forehead and in general just banged up all over.

I picked Jan Hurst up at the Medical Center about 11:30 am (treated and released). We had a prescription filled for her and then went to where their car was. I got all of their personal things from the Corvette, cleaned glass off as best I could, washed some blood stains off of their suitcases and transferred them to the back of the HHR.

We then drove to Vanderbilt Hospital. Jan was taken to a private family consultation room. A few minutes later she asked the nurse to come get me as she wanted me to be with her when the doctor came in. We already knew that Steve was in critical condition as Gary Cockriel has shared the horrible cut on his scalp and how it “laid back”. However, Steve was worse than either of us were prepared for.

In my layman’s language this is the best I know how to describe what I heard the doctor saying. His neck about the C-4 area was broken but not severed. He will likely be paralyzed from the neck down. He will be on a ventilator for many months and maybe the reminder of his life. The head/scalp injury is a serious injury but very treatable and they will do that at the appropriate time.

There was other discussion with the doctor/nurse concerning several a few other issues and then Jan was asked if she wanted to go she him...which she did.

The hospital was putting a “halo” on him to stabilize him so he could be taken for an MRI. Jan came back into the private room a few minutes later. Their two daughters, Teri who lived next door to them in Tyler, Texas and Michelle who is a doctor in Syracuse, NY, were both on the way driving to Nashville. Jan called them both and gave them an update.

I got them a room at a nearby hotel.

Probably about 4:30 pm Steve was leaving for the MRI which they said would be about 2 hours to do and get the results back, Jan and I left to go to the hotel. We got all of the luggage to their room. I asked Jan about going out to eat or me bringing her back something. She was tired and wanted to try and rest. I told her that I was going to eat and then come back to the lobby of the hotel and stay until Michelle got there (which we estimated to be around 7 pm).

After Michelle arrived, Jan had cleaned up and changed clothes. They were going to eat as neither had eaten since breakfast. They were then going back to the hospital and wait for Teri, who was about 100 miles out. The next visitation was scheduled for 8:30 pm. We parted company and I told them we would be checking on them and to please let us know if there was anything we could do.

Jan and Steve are quite active in their church in Tyler, TX. It was so apparent to me that she had a great personal relationship with our Lord and had already been seeking His strength and support that she knew only He could provide. A prayer chain was already in place in Tyler, TX and others would be started soon. She of course is not sure what the future holds, but she knows who holds the future and she desires His will be done. To be with someone that had this type faith and trust in our Lord was just really something to witness.

Jan and Steve have been married 44 years.

Harlan and Dave....... Jan Hurst commented to me that she feels being in the Corvette was what saved both of them. I am not sure if any of the Plant Engineers would want to see the car, but if so, please let me know and we will accommodate that.

November 2009, they took delivery of their new 2010 Coupe (had also taken delivery of a 2003). She commented to me that she did not know if Steve will make it or not, but if he did not that he was doing what he enjoyed doing the most.....Corvetting! Their 2003 had over 90,000 miles and their 2010 already had over 10,000 miles.

She received several calls while I was with her and made several other calls while we were together. I could sense that people were asking is there anything we can do............her answer was always the same......just pray. So in addition to keeping you up to date from what is going on, I was to also ask you.......just pray!

At this point should anyone ask you how is Steve doing, I suggest you say he is still critical. Much more will be known over the next couple of days, from the MRI and also surgery they doing Sunday to place a rod down his back. The best educated guess by the doctor this afternoon may be different later on......In the meantime.....just pray!
Wendell
www.CorvetteMuseum.org
www.MotorsportsPark.org

latest info is his spinal cord was severed.......at this time only machines are keeping him alive. The family will be consulting with Hospice today.

Sent: Monday, August 16, 2010 9:03 PM

Steve passed away this afternoon. Please continue to remember his wife Jan, daughters Terri and Michelle and other members of the Steve Hurst family in your prayers.

Wendell
www.CorvetteMuseum.org
www.MotorsportsPark.org
Old 08-17-2010, 11:18 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,598 Likes on 1,632 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...ing-green.html
Old 08-17-2010, 11:19 AM
CETA 256
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

Prayers sent.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:21 AM
AVENGER
Pro

To the Family!
"God saw Steve getting tired and a cure was not to be. So He put His arms around him and whispered “come to me.” With tearful eyes we watched you, and saw you pass away. Although we loved you dearly, we could not make you stay. A golden heart stopped beating, hard working hands at rest. God broke our hearts to prove to us, He only takes the best. You will be missed" ..........................

Last edited by AVENGER; 08-17-2010 at 11:24 AM.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:22 AM
AVENGER
Pro

Thanks, I didn't see the original post!
Old 08-17-2010, 11:29 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

My prayers are out to the family
Old 08-17-2010, 11:29 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

How sad...my thoughts and prayers are with them.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:53 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,937 Likes on 4,816 Posts

Old 08-17-2010, 11:57 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,598 Likes on 1,632 Posts

Originally Posted by trichka
Thanks, I didn't see the original post!
Wide dissemination is good.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:02 PM
Mcpousnret
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your Loss, Our Loss

God Bless. I pray for you all.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:04 PM
VettinFan
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

So very, very sad and tragic. God Bless
Old 08-17-2010, 12:05 PM
Vasta
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Really sorry to hear to hear about this.

My prayers to the family.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:34 PM
c1vettes
Burning Brakes

Terrible news.

But let this be a sharp reminder, never pass a trailer on the inside. It's a terrible blind spot particularly for sports cars. Always pull back and stay to the outside lane. Generally trailers can't move into the outside lane. But if they do, they have a better field of vision on that side. They generally tend to move into the inside lane as soon as they can as a rule. Also, don't follow behind either as they are known to throw gators. Tire retreads. It's a battlefield out there and you have to think of their next move and what could happen.

Allways be wary.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:41 PM
bluman
Melting Slicks

Received 349 Likes on 199 Posts

very sad news...

God Bless
Old 08-17-2010, 12:42 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,491 Likes on 1,952 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I am sad for the family and friends. I wish them well in this time of need for comfort and understanding. I know Steve is at peace. I took my car out today specifically thinking about this family to celebrate their life.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:50 PM
N2TU
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 195 Likes on 105 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

This is terrible news for our Corvette Family...

God bless Steve....
Old 08-17-2010, 12:54 PM
HarleyB
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Prayers are sent for his family.

Get notified of new replies

To Sad news of fellow Corvette enthusiast

Old 08-17-2010, 01:03 PM
geo2000
Drifting

Received 114 Likes on 111 Posts

God bless
Old 08-17-2010, 01:22 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by c1vettes
Terrible news.

But let this be a sharp reminder, never pass a trailer on the inside. It's a terrible blind spot particularly for sports cars. Always pull back and stay to the outside lane. Generally trailers can't move into the outside lane. But if they do, they have a better field of vision on that side. They generally tend to move into the inside lane as soon as they can as a rule. Also, don't follow behind either as they are known to throw gators. Tire retreads. It's a battlefield out there and you have to think of their next move and what could happen.

Allways be wary.
Words of wisdom God be with the Family and Friends.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:25 PM
RAT
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Very sad news. I was hoping the best for him and his family. I would like to know if there is anything we could do for his family?

God bless and prayers sent.

Quick Reply: Sad news of fellow Corvette enthusiast