C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TMPS (failed sensor) & new tires - question

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 01:10 AM
johnee98
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TMPS (failed sensor) & new tires - question

I'm about to install new tires on my 2007 Z51 coupe. (Decided to go with the Michelin PS2 ZP's - to be installed at Discount Tire).

The DIC had "xx" displayed for several months for the driver side rear tire. The Discount Tire guy checked with the tool and said the sensor is not sending out a signal. He wasn't sure if it's damaged or a bad battery.

Based on several posts in the Forum, I decided not to replace all the sensors to have fresh batteries - due to the age of the car and relatively low mileage (under 10k). For those who may ask - I've been out autocrossing and burned through the Goodyear F1 Supercars... In the future, I'll post my thoughts on how good/bad F1 Supercar vs. PS2's in another thread.

My questions.
- Is it possible that the sensor can be reset? Anyone else have a problem like this on a relatively newer car?
- Since I have a couple of days while the new tires are in transit, should I buy a replacement OEM sensor from the dealer/Gene Culley or should I go with the aftermarket one that Discount Tire sells? Discount Tire's price is a few dollars cheaper ($43 vs $58+) and it's easier, but I'm concerned about accuracy and mixing OEM and aftermarket sensors.

Thanks!
Old 07-07-2010, 09:43 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

If the sensor won't respond to diagnostic checks by the tool then, like the tire tech said, it's either damaged or has a dead battery. In either case, it can't be repaired and you'll need a new one.

I'm not familiar with the aftermarket sensors Discount Tire sells. Can you describe it? Who makes it? If it's orange and made by Schrader (Schrader part# 20076) then it's not aftermarket at all - it's the exact same sensor put in at the factory.

There are a couple aftermarket sensors out there that are compatible with the C6, so I'm inclined to say just go with the cheaper one from Discount.

Good luck!!

Bob
Old 07-07-2010, 10:05 AM
johnee98
Heel & Toe

Bob,

The Discount Tire guy showed me an example of sensor they use. He has to order the exact part for the Vette, but the one he showed me was white and made in France. I can't recall the name of the manufacturer, but it was short (3-4 letters). He also said they use "Berut", but that wasn't the one he showed me.

Sounds like you aren't aware of any accuracy differences or compatibility issues with mixing manufactures - correct?

Thanks for the info...
John
Old 07-07-2010, 10:24 AM
Devind100
Intermediate

There is a guy in the C6 parts section selling sensors for I think $45 a piece. I have had a lot of issue with my TPMS senors also.

I went to a Chevy dealer and told them I needed one sensor reset due to it reading XX. They hooked up a tech 2 to my car. I asked why in the hell would they due that when i can put the car in learn mode and use the hand held to reset the sensor. He told me that wouldnt work. I wasnt happy with him, nor did I believe him. So, I went to another dealer and told them all I wanted was to use the hand held while the car was in learn mode. I put the car in learn mode. (accessory on, car not running, hold the lock and unlock button on the fob until the horn beeps once) He used the hand held and all the sensors reset and worked. Havent had an issue since.

I found out that those discount tire places dont seem to have the correct hand hel frequency for these sensors. Maybe try a dealer. Its a free thing for them to do and takes 2 mins.

Good luck....
Old 07-07-2010, 10:34 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I've never worked with true "aftermarket" tire pressure sensors, however, take a look at this thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...l-sensors.html

The OP in that thread reports that the Oro-Tek sensors work just like OE Schrader sensors.

Forum vendor Bob's House Of Wheels sells OE Schrader sensors for around $45 each.

What ever you get, you need GM Part# 25758220 or an aftermarket one that is compatible with that GM part#.

Bob
Old 07-07-2010, 11:18 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Devind100
There is a guy in the C6 parts section selling sensors for I think $45 a piece. I have had a lot of issue with my TPMS senors also.

I went to a Chevy dealer and told them I needed one sensor reset due to it reading XX. They hooked up a tech 2 to my car. I asked why in the hell would they due that when i can put the car in learn mode and use the hand held to reset the sensor. He told me that wouldnt work. I wasnt happy with him, nor did I believe him. So, I went to another dealer and told them all I wanted was to use the hand held while the car was in learn mode. I put the car in learn mode. (accessory on, car not running, hold the lock and unlock button on the fob until the horn beeps once) He used the hand held and all the sensors reset and worked. Havent had an issue since.

I found out that those discount tire places dont seem to have the correct hand hel frequency for these sensors. Maybe try a dealer. Its a free thing for them to do and takes 2 mins.

Good luck....
Whatever works for you but that's not my experience. The Discount Tire stores I deal with are well equipped to reset TPS's on virtually all vehicles (my own TPMS tool works on a wide variety of different make cars). Maybe some dealerships don't but many dealerships do, in fact, charge a nominal fee to reset tire sensors. If you're going to a full service tire store that can't reset a tire pressure sensor on a General Motors vehicle you definitely need a different tire store.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:44 AM
Devind100
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Wayne O
Whatever works for you but that's not my experience. The Discount Tire stores I deal with are well equipped to reset TPS's on virtually all vehicles (my own TPMS tool works on a wide variety of different make cars). Maybe some dealerships don't but many dealerships do, in fact, charge a nominal fee to reset tire sensors. If you're going to a full service tire store that can't reset a tire pressure sensor on a General Motors vehicle you definitely need a different tire store.
Im sure it was more of the tire place being lazy and not wanting to do it. Maybe its the area why they didnt charge me a nominal fee to reset the sensors. Theres a large Chevy dealershp close to me Ankeny, Ia that said they would do for free even when I change to my track rims and tires and then back to street tires.

I would be better off just buying my own TPMS tool like you.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:00 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,953 Likes on 5,345 Posts

Originally Posted by johnee98
Bob,

The Discount Tire guy showed me an example of sensor they use. He has to order the exact part for the Vette, but the one he showed me was white and made in France. I can't recall the name of the manufacturer, but it was short (3-4 letters). He also said they use "Berut", but that wasn't the one he showed me.

Sounds like you aren't aware of any accuracy differences or compatibility issues with mixing manufactures - correct?

Thanks for the info...
John
There shouldn't be. The sensors are designed and built to an OEM specification just like other aftermarket parts. As long as it transmits an identification code the car can recognize and a pressure code the car can recognize there shouldn't be any problem. If it can't do either of those two functions you will know it before you leave the store. Discount isn't in the business of selling incorrect hardware.

Bill
Old 07-07-2010, 12:05 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Devind100
I would be better off just buying my own TPMS tool like you.
Here's the cheapest one I know of:

http://www.toolsurge.com/prodview.asp?sku=OTC-TIPS003A

Also, Tire Rack has the ATEQ VT10 for $105 + shipping.

Bob

Get notified of new replies

To TMPS (failed sensor) & new tires - question

Quick Reply: TMPS (failed sensor) & new tires - question