C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do Dealers bill GM for Warranty Work?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 04:58 PM
furniss5
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Do Dealers bill GM for Warranty Work?

My Chevy Dealer has been great to fix stuff I don't ask for.

The handles on my top, the rear-end seal, change the oil in the rear end, etc.

Does the Dealer get paid for Technical Service Bulletin repairs and while the car is bumper-to bumper like mine?

Is it $100 an hour like my Lincoln dealer charges me? or less?

Just curious. I usually don't complain about the little things, but with this Dealer ready to fix anything and everything, I want to find more stuff that could go wrong before I go off the 3 year warranty in September, so I pulled all the TSB's off the Internet.

I also have the GM Extended Warranty to 81K miles.

Charlie in Arizona
Old 06-14-2010, 05:04 PM
ORANGEC6VERT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by furniss5
My Chevy Dealer has been great to fix stuff I don't ask for.

The handles on my top, the rear-end seal, change the oil in the rear end, etc.

Does the Dealer get paid for Technical Service Bulletin repairs and while the car is bumper-to bumper like mine?

Is it $100 an hour like my Lincoln dealer charges me? or less?

Just curious. I usually don't complain about the little things, but with this Dealer ready to fix anything and everything, I want to find more stuff that could go wrong before I go off the 3 year warranty in September, so I pulled all the TSB's off the Internet.

I also have the GM Extended Warranty to 81K miles.

Charlie in Arizona

The labor rate varies depending on different markets - but of course the factory pays the dealer...it doesnt matter if it is warranty, recall, special policy, or TSB.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:10 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I've been told that warranty reimbursement to the dealer is less than his "normal" shop rate, but still high enough that the dealer shouldn't be losing money on warranty repairs.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:38 PM
garytucker
Racer

Fixing things that you haven't brought up as concerns gets to be risky territory. If a dealer gets caught "upselling" warranty the penalties can be pretty severe in regards to money they have to pay to GM.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:01 PM
furniss5
Instructor

Default So Far Everything brought up has been a TSB

I was actually complimenting my Dealer!

The items repaired have all been mentioned in TSB's.

I was just hoping they were getting paid and I wasn't causing
them pain.

I want my Dealer to stay in business.

My Corvette has few Dealer choices in Arizona.

Charlie in Arizona
Old 06-14-2010, 07:09 PM
N2TU
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 195 Likes on 105 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

them pain.

Charlie in Arizona
That is very noble of you! Maybe you should write a check to the dealer, just in case they don't get paid!....

Just joshing! I wouldn't worry too much if the Dealer is 'in the black'.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:17 PM
1 slow 97
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

them pain.

Charlie in Arizona
Charlie,

no offense but you aren't a pain and the dealer isn't doing this out the kindness of their heart. you better believe the dealer is getting paid for warranty work, that is what they survive on. Any car dealer will tell you that little money is made on selling the car( used cars believe it or not make them more money than new ones. All the money dealers make and what they count on is what they make from servicing the cars they sell. So make no bones about it, they aren't doing you a favor for doing TSB, recall, or warranty work.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:06 PM
garytucker
Racer

them pain.

Charlie in Arizona
I knew you were complimenting the dealer...I was just pointing out that they weren't doing you or themselves a favor by upselling items to warranty. Why aren't they doing you a favor? If those parts were only a TSB and you didn't have the symptoms and they replace them anyways...you've just added one more line of warranty work done to your car when a GM service history is pulled. I insist on one for every used Corvette I look at. A car with quite a few warranty items...I see as a problem.

The dealer makes it sound all well and good, but if they don't need to be replaced, I sure wouldn't be adding to my car's warranty history.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:14 PM
RnLi
Burning Brakes

Yes, the dealers are reimbursed for their warranty and related repairs. But it is not at the hourly rates the dealers post in their service areas. GM also states the hours related to the repair. They are different than what is provided as the "book" time.

There are exceptions, however.

By the way, your very positive experience is probably the result of an excellent Service Writer/Adviser OR the dealer has a technician (or 2) dedicated specifically to Corvettes. Kudos to the management.

furniss5...would you send me a PM with who your dealer is? I'm kind of interested if we have the same dealer.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:47 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The factory pay's for these repair's, but it's by the book. If the book say's $300 buck's for an alternator replacement, that's what the dealer get's. If a frozen bolt make's it an all day deal, $300 buck's is it. Because of GM's recent problem's, most dealer's were lucky to even get that. I personnaly like to know any work that happen's on my car, before it's done. There's a TSB on my early ZO-6 for a rear axle additive to quite clutch pack locking a bit, but don't want it. Had this done in another car, and rear diff lock up was never the same.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:00 AM
chgoblue
Drifting

Originally Posted by N2TU
That is very noble of you! Maybe you should write a check to the dealer, just in case they don't get paid!....

Just joshing! I wouldn't worry too much if the Dealer is 'in the black'.

Kudos to anyone who can tell me where the word "joshing" came from, as in "you're joshing me".

Anyone?

Anyone?
Old 06-15-2010, 05:46 AM
foremaw
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 114 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

"TSB repairs" and "warranty repairs" are two different things. TSBs are informational, providing symptoms and fixes for problems identified by GM and/or dealers. The information applies to cars both in and out of warranty. If the car is out of warranty and the dealer fixes it a problem identified in a TSB, you pay for it, not GM.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:18 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,960 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Originally Posted by garytucker
Why aren't they doing you a favor? If those parts were only a TSB and you didn't have the symptoms and they replace them anyways...you've just added one more line of warranty work done to your car when a GM service history is pulled. I insist on one for every used Corvette I look at. A car with quite a few warranty items...I see as a problem.
That is a good way to screw yourself. Especially when purchasing a Corvette that was previously owned by an **** retentive person who refused to fix things because they didn't want the car to be touched (there are a lot of these types of idiots in the Corvette owner's ranks).

Bill
Old 06-15-2010, 07:40 AM
fastter
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by chgoblue
Kudos to anyone who can tell me where the word "joshing" came from, as in "you're joshing me".

Anyone?

Anyone?
What is the origin of the term to josh?

Why, that comes from Joshua in the Bible, of course! No, we're just joshin'. The verb to josh is actually said to be named after a more recent historical figure, one Josh Billings. Well, allow us to clarify - Josh Billings was this fellow's pseudonym, and this fellow was Henry Wheeler Shaw. He lived from 1818-1885 and was a very popular humorist in America, once he began his entertaining writing at the age of 45. His most famous work began life as Essay on the Mule in 1859, and it was not accepted for publication. He rewrote it in phonetic spelling the next year and it was accepted for publication by a New York paper. The new title was "A Essa on the Muel" bi Josh Billings. It was an immediate popular success. In the 1870s he wrote an annual parody of The Old Farmer's Almanac called Josh Billings Farmers Allminax. Today he is most remembered for his clever sayings, which can be found at several sites on the Web (here's one). He toured the country giving comic lectures.

All right, now that you've read the above, consider this: the OED provides an example of josh from 1845, 15 years before Josh Billings' first publication: "Look out in future, and if you must Josh, why, give a private one." Eric Partridge suggests that josh actually derives from Scottish joss "to jostle", with influence by Josh Billings, but the 1845 OED citation throws a wrench in the Josh Billings effect. It is interesting to note that an 1852 quotation uses joss: "The squint eyed chap’s been jossin’ ye." Both the 1845 and the 1852 quotations are American.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:29 AM
Rule292
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
That is a good way to screw yourself. Especially when purchasing a Corvette that was previously owned by an **** retentive person who refused to fix things because they didn't want the car to be touched (there are a lot of these types of idiots in the Corvette owner's ranks).

Bill

Idiots like these that are afraid to have their car "fixed" at a dealer:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...s-cracked.html
Old 06-15-2010, 09:24 AM
08vycpe
Burning Brakes

Dealers should only apply fixes described in a TSB if a customer brings the car in with a complaint and the symptoms are as described in the TSB.

If a dealer applies a TSB fix to a car that doesn't exhibit the symptoms he is screwing GM and using warranty as a cash cow. Remember GM pays the warranty bill.

This is different than a recall.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:00 AM
Top_Fuel
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by garytucker
Fixing things that you haven't brought up as concerns gets to be risky territory...
Sad but true.

If a dealer works in your best interest and fixes warranty problems that you specifically haven't mentioned, this can get the dealer in trouble.

This has always bothered me, because from a customer service angle, it makes no sense and is one of the reasons people hate certain manufacturers (like GM). Here's a perfect example...

Suppose there's a certain model well-known for defective, leaking intake manifolds. A customer comes in with one of these models under warranty for a different problem. While working on the vehicle, the technician knows that this model has a bad history of manifold problems, so he takes a quick look. Sure enough...it's leaking...but the customer doesn't know it and the customer's warranty will expire in a couple of months anyway. If the tech says nothing, he just saved GM an $800 repair...but the customer gets screwed!!!

In most dealerships, they would NOT bring the intake leak to your attention because it's against the rules. This is considered "upselling" warranty.

My friends in the business tell me a good Service Writer will tell the customer (with a wink and a nod) that they might want to bring the car back in a month just in case there's a coolant leak they need to have checked out. This covers their butt AND looks out for the customer at the same time.

Get notified of new replies

To Do Dealers bill GM for Warranty Work?

Old 06-15-2010, 10:35 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by foremaw
"TSB repairs" and "warranty repairs" are two different things. TSBs are informational, providing symptoms and fixes for problems identified by GM and/or dealers. The information applies to cars both in and out of warranty. If the car is out of warranty and the dealer fixes it a problem identified in a TSB, you pay for it, not GM.
Correct, just because a TSB has been published that doesn't mean the dealer is FREE to randomly replace the parts. The part in question has to be defective if it's not then the dealer could be at jeopardy and not reimbursed.

Many folks think a TSB = free repair even if the part/component is still functioning as designed. It does not.

Tom
Old 06-15-2010, 12:11 PM
garytucker
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
No, its a way to protect myself. If the car has spent its life at the dealership (for whatever reason)...I want no part of it no matter how clean it is. **** retentive owners don't equal "good" owners all the time. I've had friends that were the kind of **** retentive owner that complained about everything on their car, but when it came to changing oil...they forgot all about it.

Vehicle history is a very valid way to ensure I'm not getting a lemon. If I miss a couple of good cars in the process...so be it.

Last edited by garytucker; 06-15-2010 at 12:12 PM. Reason: clarified my statement
Old 06-15-2010, 12:35 PM
mforman42
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
Correct, just because a TSB has been published that doesn't mean the dealer is FREE to randomly replace the parts. The part in question has to be defective if it's not then the dealer could be at jeopardy and not reimbursed.

Many folks think a TSB = free repair even if the part/component is still functioning as designed. It does not.

Tom
Adding to that, if you have a good relationship with your dealer, they will fix little stuff that normally wouldn't be covered by warranty and eat the cost. On my '08, my dealer did the e-clip fix for the popping roof for me while waiting for a more definitive solution from the factory. I never did have the handles changed. Of course, part of having a good relationship is being reasonable...

Quick Reply: Do Dealers bill GM for Warranty Work?