C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you live with (DD)? Supercharged C6 vs Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 02:42 PM
C6Tim
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Rule292
Callaway Chris, when you make a "special performance" version which has only the Callaway peformance mods and not the cosmetics (such as the "Signature Double D Exhaust" or the "big nose" hood) I will be interested.

A few folks on here have mentioned that they do not care for the look of the Callaway styling cues.

Please don't berate us, we simply don't like the added bling.

Make a package for us and I'm in!
You don't have to get the badging and you have the choice of two different hood options. I suppose you could add your own hood after the fact if you don't like either of the Callaway options, but you can't keep the stock hood due to the extra clearance needed for the SC.

The Double D exhaust is part of the performance package and is not a cosmetic mod.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:45 PM
C6Tim
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by EDinPA
Zealots

I'm sure all the zo6 guys are going to run out and shove a sock in the intake to get the added performance of giving up another hundred hp.

I had this exact decision to make a few months ago, and with no invested interest in either choice at the time I went with a SC Grand Sport. I am glad I did. I would have felt I was compromising if I went with z. As nice as the z is, I was not willing to give up what I really wanted.

The car for me is a three season daily driver. The weather has cleared, the rain has stopped and I have been everywhere in it. From a run for milk, to pick up lunch, to buy light bulbs at Lowe's or a pointless drive with the top off just because the sun was out.

The new tvs2300 has just the right sound, without being loud. It's like the car is humming because it's happy to be out driving.

It's easy driving and civilized to use day to day and scary fast when you want to have fun.

If you see me out there, be sure to wave.

Hi Ed, glad to hear the weather is allowing you to get out and get some seat time. Enjoy!
Old 03-21-2010, 02:48 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Rule292
Callaway Chris, when you make a "special performance" version which has only the Callaway peformance mods and not the cosmetics (such as the "Signature Double D Exhaust" or the "big nose" hood) I will be interested.

A few folks on here have mentioned that they do not care for the look of the Callaway styling cues.

Please don't berate us, we simply don't like the added bling.

Make a package for us and I'm in!

Must you and/or your little enos sidekick hijack every Z06/C6/GS related thread and turn it into a pissing match?
"little enos sidekick"?? Dang dude, are you sensitive today bro. why are you resorting to name calling?

The thread was for the most part civil until you decided to go there.

How is that which you quoted above in my post, "pissin'"? I was just going over the numbers that Chris put out there.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 03-21-2010 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:18 PM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 245 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

The Z06 will be under warranty. The blown car won't. Easy decision in my opinion.

Tom
Old 03-21-2010, 03:39 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

I'm almost afraid to post here but here goes anyway. Whatever you choose my opinion is 505hp @440rwhp is pretty bland.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:47 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by saplumr
I'm almost afraid to post here but here goes anyway. Whatever you choose my opinion is 505hp @440rwhp is pretty bland.
Yes because everyone leaves their Z06 stock.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:08 PM
MallettTodd
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TCW
The Z06 will be under warranty. The blown car won't. Easy decision in my opinion.

Tom
Not sure that is always true. My Mallett Conversion does not do anything to the warranty. They are an approved GM tuner. I THINK this is true of a few other tuners. Mallett also gives a warranty for upgraded engine parts such as cam because GM would only replace with stock parts. I checked this through my Chev dealer before I bought it.

I was not content with the base Z06 505hp hince the Mallett Conversion
Old 03-21-2010, 09:07 PM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Received 738 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by TCW

Tom
Tom, Regarding warranties, that may be the case with most tuners

However, Callaway Cars is the exception. Callaway Cars does not just put a warranty on the components installed, we offer a comprehensive powertrain warranty for 3 years / 36,000 miles. Our warranty and customer support is unparalleled!

In April, we roll out our 5/100 powertrain warranty.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:13 PM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by C6Tim
A

Chris, will the new warranty length be something a current owner can purchase as an add on? I'm not sure I would be interested, but it would be nice to have the option.
Tim,

We'll offer the new warranty to existing owners (still under warranty). I'll get you the details, personally.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:23 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Any expensive car will depreciate like crazy as it gets older. Look at the bargains out there on used Z06s. The fact is that you probably get a higher percentage of your dollars back if you have a base Corvette with no options and the percentage drops since then. You don't get the same price back on stock options or the different models of the Vette as what you paid above a base C6.

If you are putting down $75k on a car then I'm guessing resale value is probably low on your list. As Chris mentioned soon the warranties will be the same. I'll still take the SC Callaway that puts out around 600hp over the Z06 anyday. With the GS package it pretty much increased grip over pre 2010 models while still being more efficient than a NA Z06.

But if you are so concerned about resale value I have noticed that previous Callaways actually do pretty good compared to a "regular" Corvette the same age.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:41 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Callaway Chris
Tom, Regarding warranties, that may be the case with most tuners

However, Callaway Cars is the exception. Callaway Cars does not just put a warranty on the components installed, we offer a comprehensive powertrain warranty for 3 years / 36,000 miles. Our warranty and customer support is unparalleled!

In April, we roll out our 5/100 powertrain warranty.
Not many people are going to be able to compete with that. 5yrs/100,000 miles. Kudos on the warranty.

Will this affect your current pricing any?
Old 03-22-2010, 03:30 AM
Crazy Old Man
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Callaway Chris
Tim,

We'll offer the new warranty to existing owners (still under warranty). I'll get you the details, personally.
Chris,
I have an 08, C6, Z51, Manual, Vert, NPP, 1700 Miles, I'm in on the
5yr, 100,000 mile warranty, if you have any deals on the 606 ?
I'm 1 hour from Pete's, PM me with a good deal on one.
Thanks
Old 03-22-2010, 04:16 AM
zero05
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Interesting. Well as long as you are telling the story, then you may as well tell the complete story using the individual times recorded because the average changes. It's looking though like 10.744 @129.50mph is the number to beat as far as a bone stock Z06 on the same tire, a drag radial. And there are at least 7 Z06s on this forum to run into the 10s bone stock and on drag radials. 5 on that list, two others on the forum. And certainly worthy of mention, Dr. Ron doing it in two different bone stock on drag radials Z06s, his '06 and his '09, as well as one other Z06 making it into the 10s with just an air filter, tune and shocks as it's only mods.

So while there is no doubt that a 606hp Callaway grand sport car is a powerful car, and "101 hp more than a Z06" I look forward to seeing if it will outdo the best on this list in the quarter mile.

Bone-Stock, except Non-Stock Tires ------*Current Avg. 10.958 secs. @ 127.78 mph. 1.66 secs
*Ten Second C6 Z06 Bone-Stock, except Non-Stock Tires Times are denoted in green.

1--10.744 @ 129.50--1.59---Ranger------'06.-----Details
2--10.831 @ 130.05--1.70---jamie furman ------'06. -----Details
3--10.877 @ 127.33--1.61---Dr.Ron------'09. -----Details
4--10.912 @ 126.32--1.62---Dr.Ron------'06. -----Details
5--10.958 @ 127.22--1.67---walterm32 -----'08-----Details

6. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...-125-71-a.html
7. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...g-radials.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...tech-tune.html

Not trying to start anything but wouldnt it be just as easy for a Callaway GS to get a better 1/4 mile time than the projected 11 seconds? If stock Zs can improve their times with good shifting and better tires then Callaway could too. Maybe even an auto one could reach 10s with different tires and a good launch couldnt it?
Old 03-22-2010, 04:27 AM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by zero05
Not trying to start anything but wouldnt it be just as easy for a Callaway GS to get a better 1/4 mile time than the projected 11 seconds? If stock Zs can improve their times with good shifting and better tires then Callaway could too. Maybe even an auto one could reach 10s with different tires and a good launch couldnt it?
My understanding(which could be incorrect), is PD blower cars have a harder time nailing down 1/4 mile times than N/A, Turbo, and Centrifical blower cars are capable of running. So even if you're making more power with a Maggie or what have you, you're not guaranteed faster times.

I could be wrong though.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:10 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

I would certainly believe so. I'm not saying that it can't. Just that it hasn't, and it was running on drag radials just as those Z06s were.

But yeah, I would agree with you and tend to believe it to be capable of running the type times you mention.

On another note, a few factors come to mind, Justin Strife mentioned a couple.

Also, one would think that if the car had long tube headers instead of it's stock manifolds, and were running more boost, or higher stall converters were used in the automatic, that it would be easier for it to eclipse those times mentioned.

But if it had headers, well, EPA fines are likely, and it would not be smog legal and Callaway knows that first hand. If it were pullied, then there could be reliability issues which would make a 3yr or a 5yr warranty more risky.

So it's a safe bet that it's not as aggressive as some of these other packages out here, where the shops don't care so much about reliability, warranties, or whether or not they put headers on it, EPA fines and such. They just worry about results. If trap speeds are an indicator of power, then one would highly suspect that car is not as aggressively built and tuned as some of the other supercharger packages, looking at the Callaway 606 trap speeds.

Thats cool, but at some point it would seem that one would have to sacrifice some performance capability for reliability, especially in a supercharged car with a warranty.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:54 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Any performance tests with the Callaway on the rubber it actually comes with? I'd be more interested in those #'s as opposed as to what it'll do on tires that aren't an option.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:43 AM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by redzone
Any performance tests with the Callaway on the rubber it actually comes with? I'd be more interested in those #'s as opposed as to what it'll do on tires that aren't an option.
We plan on putting a journalist into the car soon. The car will be as-delivered

Get notified of new replies

To What would you live with (DD)? Supercharged C6 vs Z06?

Old 03-22-2010, 09:45 AM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

It could be suggested, that the shift techniques are big a part of why the "stock Z" numbers are so much quicker than the factory Z rating
Old 03-22-2010, 09:47 AM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Not many people are going to be able to compete with that. 5yrs/100,000 miles. Kudos on the warranty.

Will this affect your current pricing any?
This will affect our pricing to some degree. In the performance aftermarket, we have an unparalleled warranty - nobody backs their product like Callaway!
Old 03-22-2010, 11:08 AM
quickc6
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by saplumr
So if 505hp is pretty bland , what do you have to say about 436hp GS ?

Quick Reply: What would you live with (DD)? Supercharged C6 vs Z06?