C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to change the D1S low beam HID bulb in a C6 corvette, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 09:46 PM
PUNISHERC6
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to change the D1S low beam HID bulb in a C6 corvette, please help!

I'm trying to find someone who knows how to change out the low beam hid lamp on a 2009 C6, I know how to get to the bulb itself but it seams to have 2 fasteners which hold a retainer. if someone could even tell me what kind of fasteners they are or what kind of tool it takes to remove them, it would be a great help since I have these nice 8000k hid's to replace them and don't want to pay the dealer $110.00 to do it for me
Old 01-14-2010, 10:14 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

I'll bump this thread for you by telling you that there doesn't seem to be anything in the C6 FAQ about it.

Also, here's what's in the 2009 owner's manual on page 5-56.

The low beam high intensity discharge lighting
system operates at a very high voltage. If you try to
service any of the system components, you could
be seriously injured. Have your dealer/retailer or a
qualified technician service them.
But I suspect that someone here has probably done it themselves. Maybe they'll respond.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:18 PM
PUNISHERC6
Heel & Toe

yeah it seems that way since i've been looking online for about 4 hours now trying to find someone who's done it and no luck so far
Old 01-14-2010, 10:23 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

I don't know if this will help. Take a look at it and I'll keep looking:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...placement.html

Edit: Here's another one, posts 7-11:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...beam-bulb.html

Last edited by RicK T; 01-14-2010 at 10:31 PM. Reason: add link
Old 01-14-2010, 10:41 PM
PUNISHERC6
Heel & Toe

thanks buddy, it helps alot, I'll be going to sears tomorrow to get a magnetized 15 torx tip to take out the bulbs, i'm sure it will be less than 110.00 lol, thanks alot
Old 01-15-2010, 05:07 PM
dblais
Instructor

I did my 05. It is easier to remove the front tires. Pull the heads out on the plastic fasteners and then pull out the fastener. This will remove the inner panel cover to access the bulbs. Release the plug from the rear of the bulb (squeeze Tab). Remove the torx screws (2) holding the bulb fixture. Pull back on the bulb and you will release it from the fixture. You will need to remove the sheet metal bracket from the old bulb and install it onto the new bulb. This slides off and is a friction fit. Slide the bracket onto the new bulb. Do not touch the glass filament with your fingers, hold by the metal base of the bulb. Repeat for the other side. Install is the reverse. Not really to complicated. I also replaced the High Beam bulbs with the HID kit.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:22 PM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by dblais
Do not touch the glass filament with your fingers, hold by the metal base of the bulb.
And if you do, clean it with isopropyl alcohol.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:25 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by PUNISHERC6
I'm trying to find someone who knows how to change out the low beam hid lamp on a 2009 C6, I know how to get to the bulb itself but it seams to have 2 fasteners which hold a retainer. if someone could even tell me what kind of fasteners they are or what kind of tool it takes to remove them, it would be a great help since I have these nice 8000k hid's to replace them and don't want to pay the dealer $110.00 to do it for me
Is this an upgrade? Or did the low beams already burn out?
Old 01-15-2010, 11:45 PM
PUNISHERC6
Heel & Toe

just an upgrade, found the bulbs on ebay for 100.00 for the pair in the temp I wanted. I found the HID foglight kit for 45.00 so I'll be doing both of them at the same time, picked up all the tools I need to make this install pretty easy
Old 01-16-2010, 12:01 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by PUNISHERC6
just an upgrade, found the bulbs on ebay for 100.00 for the pair in the temp I wanted. I found the HID foglight kit for 45.00 so I'll be doing both of them at the same time, picked up all the tools I need to make this install pretty easy
The factory low beams are pretty bright. Let us know if this is a better improvement.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:53 AM
Joezone914
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LS WON
The factory low beams are pretty bright. Let us know if this is a better improvement.
Changing headlight from stock to 6000k does not make it brighter. If anything slightly dimmer. The higher the Kalvin the lower the lumens. The fog conversion makes night and day difference over stock. It actually completes the lighting experience. The HID fog are low and very wide. I have 6000k fogs over 2 years and love them. I had 6000k headlamp but have since replaced leaky assemblies which came with stock 4300 D1S. I'm just gonna leave it for now. It's not a perfect match but it's fine.

Joe
Old 01-16-2010, 04:47 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Joezone914
Changing headlight from stock to 6000k does not make it brighter. If anything slightly dimmer. The higher the Kalvin the lower the lumens. The fog conversion makes night and day difference over stock. It actually completes the lighting experience. The HID fog are low and very wide. I have 6000k fogs over 2 years and love them. I had 6000k headlamp but have since replaced leaky assemblies which came with stock 4300 D1S. I'm just gonna leave it for now. It's not a perfect match but it's fine.

Joe
For those factory fogs anything is an improvement especially HID fogs. Why didn't they install HID fogs from the factory to make it compatible with low beams which are HID and then why the standard high beams? I would think the whole system, all the lights would be HID to begin with?
Where did you get these lights and did it require wiring or electric modifications or are they just plug ins?
Old 01-17-2010, 07:36 AM
davekp78
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by LS WON
For those factory fogs anything is an improvement especially HID fogs. Why didn't they install HID fogs from the factory to make it compatible with low beams which are HID and then why the standard high beams? I would think the whole system, all the lights would be HID to begin with?
Where did you get these lights and did it require wiring or electric modifications or are they just plug ins?
HIDs don't work well when they need to come on instantly, as in high beams, or fogs. OK for the low beams since they are on at both high and low beam positions.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:57 AM
diverdan
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

I was going to put HID high beams in and then reconsidered for the same instant-on requirement reason. I just replaced the stock bulbs with PIAA bulbs, which are much closer in color and brightness to the stock HID low beams.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:22 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by dave pawlowski
HIDs don't work well when they need to come on instantly, as in high beams, or fogs. OK for the low beams since they are on at both high and low beam positions.
I agree that HID's are not normally used for the high beams because they take time to light up and you lose the flash-to-pass capability.

But fog lights don't necessarily have to flash on. You'll find that if you add the HID fogs you almost don't need your high beams. Almost.

Couple of tips if you do the HID fog light mod:

Don't put the ballast on top of the fog light housing. The extra weight will make the lights jiggle. Attach them to the frame.

While you have the fender liner out, find the fog light adjustment hole in the underside of the front bumper and follow it up to the fog light. You can raise them a little but don't over do it or else everyone will flash you.

Get some dielectric grease and put it in all the connectors, as long as you're in there already. This isn't mandatory but it will eliminate corrosion and extend the lifespan of your connections.

If you use 4300K bulbs they will match your low beams. 6000K+ bulbs look cool and are bluer, but are not quite as bright.

Adding HID fog lights is one of the best mods I've done to my C6.

YMMV.

Sorry if I hijacked the thread.

Last edited by Knob Jockey; 01-17-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:08 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by **** Jockey
I agree that HID's are not normally used for the high beams because they take time to light up and you lose the flash-to-pass capability.

But fog lights don't necessarily have to flash on. You'll find that if you add the HID fogs you almost don't need your high beams. Almost.

Don't put the ballast on top of the fog light housing. The extra weight will make the lights jiggle. Attach them to the frame.

While you have the fender liner out, find the fog light adjustment hole in the underside of the front bumper and follow it up to the fog light. You can raise them a little but don't over do it or else everyone will flash you.

Get some dielectric grease and put it in all the connectors, as long as you're in there already. This isn't mandatory but it will eliminate corrosion and extend the lifespan of your connections.

If you use 4300K bulbs they will match your low beams. 6000K+ bulbs look cool and are bluer, but are not quite as bright.

YMMV.

Sorry if I hijacked the thread.
This is all very intertesting and useful info. I didn't know HID highbeams need time to lighit up and that you loose the flash to pass feature. I don't use highbeams much anyway. The fog light bulbss that I have are the Silverstar 9145 bulbs. These will go in when the factory fogs burn out. Just plug them in replacement types.
In another car I was running H-1 100 watt bulbs in the fogs which are now yellow that burn bright and real hot that could burn your hands but that headlight system was re-wired along with a 130 amp to handle the extra power of all the lights.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:49 AM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

If I replace my 4300 temp bulbs with 6000K bulbs, will that increase my chances of crazing the lenses? How about yellowing?

Get notified of new replies

To how to change the D1S low beam HID bulb in a C6 corvette, please help!

Old 01-18-2010, 07:33 AM
BlackZ51Vett
Le Mans Master

I've read reports about some bulb sockets melting from the extra heat generated form hotter bulbs. Some didnt know it until they went to change bulbs again, then noticed the melted sockets.......
Old 01-18-2010, 08:52 AM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by **** Jockey

Thanks for the info. I will be installing mine (4300K) this Spring when the temperatures get reasonable. Your comment on the ballast install was very helpful as I looking for a good spot to mount them.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:37 AM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 799 Likes on 449 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '15, '16-'17-'18-'19

I thought that in real fog situations the bulbs would almost have to be a bit yellow to contrast the fog for better vision.

Anyone that has changed the fog lights to HIDs ever been in a real fog and used them?

I would like an input on that; It seems to me the HIDs would be almost blinding to use in a fog.

Quick Reply: how to change the D1S low beam HID bulb in a C6 corvette, please help!