C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How To: Painting the back bumper 'CORVETTE'

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 08:00 AM
Salt
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed 718
On the dash don't forget to CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN inside the letters and around. I had a good amount protectant on the dash and the painters tape would not stick. I cleaned that son of a gun alot to make sure the paint itself would stick. My wife thought I lost my mind when she saw my spray painting my dash and bumper.
Thanks for the tip Ed,
Old 05-19-2009, 08:47 AM
itsjer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Can anyone comment on the durability of this process? How long have some of you had this on your bumper or dash? I have a LMB C6 and I am not sure what color would look good.

It looks awesome!
Old 05-19-2009, 08:59 AM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by itsjer
Can anyone comment on the durability of this process? How long have some of you had this on your bumper or dash? I have a LMB C6 and I am not sure what color would look good.

It looks awesome!
I have mine done for over 6 months so far and its holding up fine to mulitple washes, waxes etc....
Old 05-27-2009, 08:41 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

I had done this on my 05 using a Testors paint pen. This method is much easier to do and the results are better.
Rob answered a couple of questions for me and the results are excellent.

Thanks Rob
Old 05-27-2009, 09:04 PM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
I had done this on my 05 using a Testors paint pen. This method is much easier to do and the results are better.
Rob answered a couple of questions for me and the results are excellent.

Thanks Rob
Pics?
Old 05-27-2009, 10:53 PM
Bill Soda
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hanny
probably tooo subtle but a first attemp anyway. paul
Don't mess with the first attempt....it looks GREAT!!!!
Old 05-28-2009, 02:12 PM
vette1963
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 20 Posts

ttt. Just so I can find it again when I need it
Old 05-28-2009, 03:44 PM
RACN1320
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I'm going to do this. Does anyone have a black Vette with blue or silver letters? I like red but would like to see other options.

Also will the mineral spirits remove the paint in 6 months - a year if I decide I hate it or the paint starts to fade?
Old 05-28-2009, 05:05 PM
RFP
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by RACN1320
...will the mineral spirits remove the paint in 6 months - a year if I decide I hate it or the paint starts to fade?

Nope... Once the paint is fully cured, it's there to stay, at least as far as mineral spirits is concerned)! You have to decide for yourself if that's good news or bad... for me, I like the idea.

There might be other solvents that would remove the paint and leave the factory finish unaffected... but I wouldn't risk it. Not at all!

Rb
Old 05-28-2009, 05:47 PM
Mark Ducati
Pro

Guys, I'm mechanically challenged!

I've tried 4 times to get mine to come out (Black letters on AO)... and I screw it up every time!

I'm using the regular drying time Gloss Black Rustoleum and odorless mineral spirits.

First I sprayed too heavy, secondly the nap on the paper towels I was using was too fluffy, I even tired a T-Shirt but too much black come out of the letters.

I'm about to give up...

Since mineral spirits dissolves the Rustoleum... would I screw it up by painting and then letting it completely dry?

Sure it will take longer to clean up, but would it work? Or if once cured, will I never get it off?
Old 05-28-2009, 06:54 PM
RFP
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09

OK Mark... It's time to "let it rest" for a few days... then try again (you'll get it right!)

Do not let it dry before removing all the paint that is "outside" the letters! Repeat, do not!

I use "Bounty" (brand) paper towels (the "Select-a-Size" kind that they sell at Kroger). I find that they are acceptably lintless. I wouldn't trust my abilities with tee-shirt material (and I've done a bunch of these). I think that it is easier to "control" the amount of "wetness" on paper towels... well, at least that's been my experience.

Remember, the paper towels are to be just barely damp (and I do mean barely!), and your sweeping-motion wipe is only a slight touch.

It occurs to me that you may be trying to remove too much paint with each pass (or "wipe"). And/or you may still be spraying too heavily.

Just remember that you are just as smart as the rest of us guys who have done this... be patient... it'll be OK and just think how happy you will be!

But do lat it "rest" for a couple of days before you try again.

Rb

Originally Posted by Mark Ducati
Guys, I'm mechanically challenged!

I've tried 4 times to get mine to come out (Black letters on AO)... and I screw it up every time!

I'm using the regular drying time Gloss Black Rustoleum and odorless mineral spirits.

First I sprayed too heavy, secondly the nap on the paper towels I was using was too fluffy, I even tired a T-Shirt but too much black come out of the letters.

I'm about to give up...

Since mineral spirits dissolves the Rustoleum... would I screw it up by painting and then letting it completely dry?

Sure it will take longer to clean up, but would it work? Or if once cured, will I never get it off?
Old 05-28-2009, 08:09 PM
Mark Ducati
Pro

Thanks Rob,

"Light"? "Too Damp"?

You're probably right, I took three relatively quick passes with the paint and now I think I was trying to push too hard and the towels/T-shirt were too wet.

I wasn't drunk, but had 2 beers in me... guess I also need to make sure I'm dry too.. funny how that kind helps your patience, huh?

I'll give it another go this weekend, I sure am glad that when you mess up how easily mineral spirits cleans it up

I might even think about something other than black after seeing "Bill Soda's" car... the subtlety of his blues is awesome!!! I'm thinking of maybe going with some kind of Rustoleum in "bronze"??? That, or maybe Red as I am going to finally get a Z06 badge from RPI for my rear (I know that's a whole other thread I started a couple months ago).
Old 05-28-2009, 10:26 PM
Ed 718
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Marc where are you at maybe someone local can help you out. It really is a simple mod trust me I was concerned I'd mess up myself and did the mod with no problems the dash however was a little tricky for me and I may have to re-do it.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:11 PM
bassspring
Racer

I did this to my AO bumper last night the only problem I had was I got the paper towel to wet when I wiped off the paint and it got in the letters and ran so the next time I wraped a dry paper towel around the block and used a small (1 inch) paint brush to just damping the towel and it came out great. Bassspring
Old 06-02-2009, 02:49 PM
RFP
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by bassspring
I did this to my AO bumper last night the only problem I had was I got the paper towel too wet

I can certainly understand that... that was the one 'mistake' that I repeated the most as I was getting the feel for how to do this. I really tried to emphasize the "not too wet" idea in the write-up, but "not too wet" is pretty darned subjective, huh?

Originally Posted by bassspring
...the next time I wraped a dry paper towel around the block and used a small (1 inch) paint brush to just damping the towel and it came out great. Bassspring

Wow! I admire your resourcefulness!!

Rb
Old 06-02-2009, 03:59 PM
bassspring
Racer

Originally Posted by RFP

I can certainly understand that... that was the one 'mistake' that I repeated the most as I was getting the feel for how to do this. I really tried to emphasize the "not too wet" idea in the write-up, but "not too wet" is pretty darned subjective, huh?

Wow! I admire your resourcefulness!!

Rb
Thanks, and thanks for posting a great and easy DIY. Bassspring
Old 06-02-2009, 04:47 PM
Blue Demon Owner
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm posting so this thread will be in "My Recent Topics" and easy to find. Also, a reminder to me, the JSB with black letters is on page 6.

I'm nervous but extremely tempted!! Any suggestions or photos as to colors (other than the black) for JSB?

Thanks all!

Rick
Always Wave!!

Get notified of new replies

To How To: Painting the back bumper 'CORVETTE'

Old 06-02-2009, 05:36 PM
RFP
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Blue Demon Owner
Any suggestions or photos as to colors (other than the black) for JSB?
Hey Rick... Did you see post # 18 in this thread? Now, that's creativity!!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...r-letters.html
Old 07-04-2009, 08:08 PM
1badassZ
Racer

Great write up.. I was skeptical of unnecessarily painting so much of the area. So as a trial/test I removed the vinyl letters off the Camaro and painted them with this method. Looks 100% better than the vinyl.

Here's an OLD pic of the vinyl inserts. When I removed them today, they were alot more faded and thinner.

And here she sits now:

Tomorrow I'll be filling in the letters on the Z06.

Steve
Old 07-04-2009, 11:18 PM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 568 Likes on 345 Posts

what a result!!!!

Quick Reply: How To: Painting the back bumper 'CORVETTE'