C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

c6 z51 beat new gt500

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 07:19 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by DSOMC6
Don't mean to offend you bro but, line up a mustang (500hp or not) against a vette on a road course??? What are you thinking??? The stang better have one hell of a suspension upgrade $$$ just to go against a C6 with $1600 z51 package.

I for one would not consider purchasing a GT500 in hopes it will increase (or even retain) value. (Nor would I do the same with a C6
or Z06). I consider it a toy and falls way short in my definition of investment.

I hope the GT500 can shed quite a lot of weight if the 3900lbs+ is accurate!

I do commend Ford, Dodge and all auto manufacturers for bringing back
cars with some ball$. However, when it comes to $45k+ and then an additional $5,10, or $15k market adjustment is just insane for this level of performance.

Don't forget not only is the GT-500 overweight but the weight distribution is off just like the last Mustangs since 1979 meaning all of them and when it rains it isn't fun doing side shows when commuting on crowded congested public roads.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:26 PM
TMyers
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by glennhl
I have a "Superior" Z51 so I can make this statement without appearing to be arrogant. I think the non-Z51 car should be faster in the 1/4 mile. It is going to weigh a little less, should have less rolling mass due to smaller brake rotors, and you don't have to shift to 4th at the end of the strip. My 01 Z28 was geared so I would have to shift to 4th right at the end. If I let it run through the traps hitting the rev limiter it would run 111 mph, if I shifted it would run 110. I upped the rev limiter to 6950 and ran 113.8 in 3rd gear.

Now everyone can run to the VAST tables of quarter mile times and show me all the fast Z51 cars, but the following applies:
1) The table is too small to be significant
2) Everyone who is a hot rodder buys the Z51 package
3) Over 60% of all Vettes sold have the Z51 package
Glenn I might agree with you if we where running the same rubber, we don't.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:53 PM
30YR W8T
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mayonayze
this information is still a year old and probably not remotely relevant or accurate since the upgrading of the actual output of this car. if someone could just post something current that would justify this thread's existence...that would be great.

Do you have anything more recent you would like to share that could be more accurate? BTW new info in HOT ROD July issue...HP went down from the 500 figure not up, but this is probably not relevant enough to justify the thread either.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:58 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Seems to be that the horsepower is like the stock market constantly changing going up and down.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:11 PM
bhvette97
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought my wife an 06 GT convertible, needed 4 seats. With some mods it could beat a stock C6. But in the end, it's still a Mustang and a Vette will always be a Vette.

IMO No other car ever made can compete with the legend Corvette has made for itself.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:13 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by bhvette97
I just bought my wife an 06 GT convertible, needed 4 seats. With some mods it could beat a stock C6. But in the end, it's still a Mustang and a Vette will always be a Vette.

IMO No other car ever made can compete with the legend Corvette has made for itself.
Tell me is the ride comfortable? The suspension isn't stiff is it where it will beat you up over time?
Old 05-26-2006, 11:03 PM
bunk22
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mayonayze
this information is still a year old and probably not remotely relevant or accurate since the upgrading of the actual output of this car. if someone could just post something current that would justify this thread's existence...that would be great.

Here's a new thread from a member with the magazine article:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1402869
Old 05-27-2006, 12:17 AM
FasterTraffic
Race Director

For me, it's a tough call between the GT500 (at MSRP) and the C6 Corvette. I specify "at MSRP" because I'm not paying $1 over MSRP for a Mustang, Shelby or not. At the price point of a GT500 plus markup, figure about $65K, I'm not buying a Corvette, either. For me, here's how the two cars match up:

Power

Both the GT500 and the C6 Z51 are seriously fast machinery. Figures quoted elsewhere state 12.8 @113 for the Corvette and 12.9 @ 112 for the GT500. Either car has more than enough power for me. I'm not paid to win races, so whether one is a half-second faster than the other is academic. That should be especially true for all the folks who will never put the car on a strip or roadcourse.

Advantage: Tie

Handling

The GT500 is gloriously true to its muscle car roots, using a whole lotta power to move a whole lot of mass. That said, you can't fight physics. I prefer better driving dynamics over obscene power, a la Boxster or M3. To plagiarize Pirelli's ad copy, "power is nothing without control." While I'd love to flog a GT500 around Streets of Willow Springs until the tread pattern cries "uncle," the nod goes to the C6 in this category.

Advantage: Corvette

Cost

For the sake of argument, I'll assume the GT500 coupe comes in at ~$42K. A base (non-2LT or 3LT) C6 coupe with Z51 comes in at $46K and change. Four large is a pretty significant difference in price, but while MSRP for a GT500 is likely, discounts on the C6 will narrow that gap. Without comparing the specs, it's a safe bet that the Corvette gets better fuel economy. Depreciation is probably similar for both cars, but I'd be willing to bet the GT500 holds more of its value after five years. Insurance cost? I don't know, but you probably shouldn't be shopping V8 performance cars if high insurance rates make you queezy.

Practicality

I don't shop sports cars for their utility. That's what the wife's car is for. However, the GT500's vestigial rear seats at least provide the option for piling in a dog or a carseat. Unless I have a daily driver locked down, it's still a consideration.

Advantage: GT500

Passion

Admittedly, this is the most subjective category. The C6 is the first Corvette that I'd consider buying. The styling inside and out is much improved from the C5. However, it still barely bumps the passion meter. It's nice, but that's it. And I'll take the extra twenty pounds; give it a rear fascia that's firmer than Jell-O. The GT500 wins hands down... in coupe version. Chop the top on the GT500 and the needle swings the other way. There is something about the 05+ Mustang lines and a convertible profile that just don't mix.

In summary, it's probably too close to call. And, if dealers are still throwing on ADM when the '08 GT500s roll onto dealer lots, this will all be moot.

Last edited by FasterTraffic; 05-27-2006 at 01:28 AM.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:32 AM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TMyers
Glenn I might agree with you if we where running the same rubber, we don't.
You are absolutely correct, I always forget about that! I got below 2.0 for a 60 foot time for the first time in my life the other night. It's only the second night I'd run the C6 and this time I left 30 psi in them and they hooked fine.

Thanks,
Glenn
Old 05-27-2006, 01:11 AM
30YR W8T
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FasterTraffic
For me, it's a tough call between the GT500 (at MSRP) and the C6 Corvette. I specify "at MSRP" because I'm not paying $1 over MSRP for a Mustang, Shelby or not. At the price point of a GT500 plus markup, figure about $65K, I'm not buying a Corvette, either. For me, here's how the two cars match up:

Power

Both the GT500 and the C6 Z51 are seriously fast machinery. Figures quoted elsewhere state 12.8 @113 for the Corvette and 12.9 @ 112 for the GT500. Either car has more than enough power for me. I'm not paid to win races, so whether one is a half-second faster than the other is academic. That should be especially true for all the folks who will never put the car on a strip or roadcourse.

Handling

The GT500 is gloriously true to its muscle car roots, using a whole lotta power to move a whole lot of mass. That said, you can't fight physics. I prefer better driving dynamics over obscene power, a la Boxster or M3. To plagiarize Pirelli's ad copy, "power is nothing without control." While I'd love to flog a GT500 around Streets of Willow Springs until the tread pattern cries "uncle," the nod goes to the C6 in this category.

Cost

For the sake of argument, I'll assume the GT500 coupe comes in at ~$42K. A base (non-2LT or 3LT) C6 coupe with Z51 comes in at $46K and change. Four large is a pretty significant difference in price, but while MSRP for a GT500 is likely, discounts on the C6 while narrow that gap. Without comparing the specs, it's a safe bet that the Corvette gets better fuel economy. Depreciation is probably similar for both cars, but I'd be willing to bet the GT500 holds more of its value after five years. Insurance cost? I don't know, but you probably shouldn't be shopping V8 performance cars if high insurance rates make you queezy.

Practicality

I don't shop sports cars for their utility. That's what the wife's car is for. However, the GT500's vestigial rear seats at least provide the option for piling in a dog or a carseat. Unless I have a daily driver locked down, it's still a consideration.

Passion

Admittedly, this is the most subjective category. The C6 is the first Corvette that I'd consider buying. The styling inside and out is much improved from the C5. However, it still barely bumps the passion meter. It's nice, but that's it. And I'll take the extra twenty pounds; give it a rear fascia that's firmer than Jell-O. The GT500 wins hands down... in coupe version. Chop the top on the GT500 and the needle swings the other way. There is something about the 05+ Mustang lines and a convertible profile that just don't mix.

In summary, it's probably too close to call. And, if dealers are still throwing on ADM when the '08 GT500s roll onto dealer lots, this will all be moot.

Well said.....
Old 05-27-2006, 03:04 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

As a convertible the GT-500 looks terrible as it lacks the lines of the coupe and has no stripes. It has to be the red coupe with white stripes
Old 05-27-2006, 03:48 AM
TMyers
Race Director

Originally Posted by glennhl
You are absolutely correct, I always forget about that! I got below 2.0 for a 60 foot time for the first time in my life the other night. It's only the second night I'd run the C6 and this time I left 30 psi in them and they hooked fine.

Thanks,
Glenn
And I still can't get below 2.0 with the stock, not supercar runflats. Close though 2.04.
Old 05-27-2006, 03:59 AM
TMyers
Race Director

Originally Posted by FasterTraffic

Power

Handling

Cost

For the sake of argument, I'll assume the GT500 coupe comes in at ~$42K. A base (non-2LT or 3LT) C6 coupe with Z51 comes in at $46K and change. Four large is a pretty significant difference in price, but while MSRP for a GT500 is likely, discounts on the C6 will narrow that gap. Without comparing the specs, it's a safe bet that the Corvette gets better fuel economy. Depreciation is probably similar for both cars, but I'd be willing to bet the GT500 holds more of its value after five years. Insurance cost? I don't know, but you probably shouldn't be shopping V8 performance cars if high insurance rates make you queezy.

Practicality

Passion

I don't agree with your summation but that is not suprising. But good on you for stating it. You sound like a guy who likes and appriciates cars.

Having lived with the 05 Mustang GT and the Vette they are light years apart. Insurance for the GT 500 will be more. My Mustang is more, it cost 30K less and is a year older than my C6. Also unless you really need to carry 4 people the vette has much more usable space. Try carry a 43 inch plasma TV in a Mustang. I did in the Vette.

Finally the passion that is really subjective. I do love the lines of the Mustang as well as the Vette. It is a toss up. The difference though and the deciding factor is in the driving. I have never owned a car that wants me to get behind the wheel the way the Vette does, Carrie anyone? What was planned for a weekend and vacation car has turned into a daily driver. I really can't give enough of it.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:05 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

I don't agree with your summation but that is not suprising. But good on you for stating it. You sound like a guy who likes and appriciates cars.

Having lived with the 05 Mustang GT and the Vette they are light years apart. Insurance for the GT 500 will be more. My Mustang is more, it cost 30K less and is a year older than my C6. Also unless you really need to carry 4 people the vette has much more usable space. Try carry a 43 inch plasma TV in a Mustang. I did in the Vette.

Finally the passion that is really subjective. I do love the lines of the Mustang as well as the Vette. It is a toss up. The difference though and the deciding factor is in the driving. I have never owned a car that wants me to get behind the wheel the way the Vette does, Carrie anyone? What was planned for a weekend and vacation car has turned into a daily driver. I really can't give enough of it.
You got Corvette Fever. And the Mustang GT or Shelby GT-500 is good for Corvette anxiety as you should feel better leaving the Mustang parked in public if necessary than the Corvette.
My 88 5.0 GT hatchback (Terrible ride feel every bump, pebble and snail on the road) when I put the seats down I have lots of room but for a 2 seater the C-6 has more space.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:41 AM
RacerChris
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LS WON

Don't forget not only is the GT-500 overweight but the weight distribution is off just like the last Mustangs since 1979 meaning all of them and when it rains it isn't fun doing side shows when commuting on crowded congested public roads.
Not to jump into anything here, but along with the Corvette's near 50/50 weight distribution bring technically ideal, you should keep in mind that there are world class cars with substantially different distribution. The 911s have much more weight to the back tires as the front. I was surprised to learn this recently. So the handling package is only partly affect by weight distribution...

Ok back to your regularly broadcast.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:43 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RacerChris
Not to jump into anything here, but along with the Corvette's near 50/50 weight distribution bring technically ideal, you should keep in mind that there are world class cars with substantially different distribution. The 911s have much more weight to the back tires as the front. I was surprised to learn this recently. So the handling package is only partly affect by weight distribution...

Ok back to your regularly broadcast.
Old 05-27-2006, 01:28 PM
TMyers
Race Director

You got Corvette Fever. And the Mustang GT or Shelby GT-500 is good for Corvette anxiety as you should feel better leaving the Mustang parked in public if necessary than the Corvette.
My 88 5.0 GT hatchback (Terrible ride feel every bump, pebble and snail on the road) when I put the seats down I have lots of room but for a 2 seater the C-6 has more space.
The 05 is a bit different. Yes the seats fold down and give you more room but the truck open is very small. Makes it difficult to put large items in.

Get notified of new replies

To c6 z51 beat new gt500

Old 05-27-2006, 01:52 PM
bhvette97
Instructor

Tell me is the ride comfortable? The suspension isn't stiff is it where it will beat you up over time?
The ride is comfortable. The supension is not as tight as the Vette. The car is good for a daily driver but in now way can compare it to a Vette. I feel the same way about the GT500. It is an improvement over the GT's but cannot be compared to a Vette. I think Ford just got the jump on competetion for the new Camaros. IMO it does not have enough styling to it. It looks too much like a regular mustang. The Saleens look alot better than that.

IMO you can buy a sports car (GT500) or you can by a legend (Corvette).
Old 05-27-2006, 02:10 PM
scrannel
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bhvette97
IMO you can buy a sports car (GT500) or you can by a legend (Corvette).
That should read: "a sedan in drag as a sports car or a legend..."

Last edited by scrannel; 05-27-2006 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-27-2006, 06:01 PM
DSOM SIDE-AIRBAGS
Instructor

43" Plasma? I didn't realize that they made them so small.

Quick Reply: c6 z51 beat new gt500