C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need engine replaced - recommendations plz

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 03:14 AM
jmxp69
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OP: I'm very particular about my car. I've done a good bit of my own work, the stuff I opted not to handle went to Joe who has done quite a bit for me: Clutch, headers, cam, timing chain, springs, pushrods, trunion upgrade, meth kit. He meets his price targets to the penny, work is done on time and is always done right. It's worth a call.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:35 AM
Z06TWT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Default GM Performance Crate Motor

I just went down this road. My LS6 died on track so I went with a well known shop to get a "built" motor....in spite of my friends telling me to go crate. At the end of the day a built motor is equal to or more than the cost of a crate. Let's face it, GM builds a great motor that can take a beating and has a warranty. The Performance Division LS motors have great power and are reliable, plus you never have to wonder about whether the builder/ shop cut corners or had a bad day.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:56 PM
brookman
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for all the input. insurance is coming out tomorrow to assess my car. Hopefully then I will have an idea of what i am in for.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:09 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06TWT
I just went down this road. My LS6 died on track so I went with a well known shop to get a "built" motor....in spite of my friends telling me to go crate. At the end of the day a built motor is equal to or more than the cost of a crate. Let's face it, GM builds a great motor that can take a beating and has a warranty. The Performance Division LS motors have great power and are reliable, plus you never have to wonder about whether the builder/ shop cut corners or had a bad day.
other problem with built motors in street cars are the pistons. light, short, forged pistons are great for heat, high rpm, boost and racing

they do not go anywhere near the mileage of cast though. rings just take too much of a beating
Old 09-11-2014, 03:08 AM
Lpe403
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I vote for an LSX 454. They are available as crate motors from GM.

Quick Reply: need engine replaced - recommendations plz