C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 idling issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 08:51 AM
davend1965
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 idling issue

My C5 intermittently stops due to low idle when hot and restarted quickly. Always in hot weather - here in orlando. Restarts immediately but it is very disconcerting when driving and the power steering disappears. Thanks
Old 04-22-2014, 11:32 AM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Get a fuel pressure gauge and check the pressure when this occurs.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:09 PM
davend1965
3rd Gear

Thanks for the info. I checked the codes, and only came up with history codes for the right and left door Battery circuits.

The problem comes and goes - it very much the old vapor lock on older cars. I remember reading something about a small filter possibly clogged but then the issue went away so I never followed thru.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:27 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Is your engine stock or modded???

Have you ever cleaned your MAF and Throttle body/blade?

Look at the PCV rubber boot that connects to the manifold. They rot and leak vacuum.

Battery Voltage on the door modules. Hmmmmm, That indicates that you have a low or weak battery. The DTCs usualy pop directly after engine cranking. If you clear them and they come back, you need to figure out WHY voltage is dropping LOW.

The reason why it a history DTC, is once you stop cranking, the voltage returns to normal. YES,,, history DTCs are important too.

I hae seen a dirty ignition switch also cause the issues that you are seeing. I would check all the other stuff before you dig into the ignition switch

Things to do

Clean the MAF wires (Use MAF Spray cleaner).

Clean the Throttle body throttle blade.

Insure that the ducting between the MAF and TB is sealed tight.

Check the PCV Valve rubber components and other vacuum lines for rot and or leaking.

Actually Measure with a DC Volt meter the battery during cold cranking and see how far the battery output voltage drops low. For the DCM to report low, it has to be around 9.5 VDC -10 VDC

Last but not least, you can clean or replace the ignition switch if all the above doesnt help. Check out this post:

- C5 ignition Switch repair - http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ch-repair.html

Bill
Old 04-22-2014, 01:34 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

YES,, also check fuel pressure. If your ignition switch is burnt. carboned up, dirty, it can cause the fuel pump to run slow or quit intermittently. When you restart, it makes contact again and runs until the next time the contacts have high resistance.

You can measure the voltage on the fuel pump fuse (two test slots on the fuse to chassis ground . You should see FULL Battery voltage on that fuse when the key is ON.

Bill
Old 04-24-2014, 08:35 AM
davend1965
3rd Gear

Thanks for your help. I am out of town for a few days so can't work on the vette. I did however have the battery checked. It was low on water had a low charge. filled with water and then drove it. I will check on Monday to see of it still has code check.

My car is stock. I bought some MAP cleaner and plan to clean it when I return. Great information guys ( and gals)!!!
Old 04-25-2014, 12:20 AM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by davend1965
Thanks for your help. I am out of town for a few days so can't work on the vette. I did however have the battery checked. It was low on water had a low charge. filled with water and then drove it. I will check on Monday to see of it still has code check.

My car is stock. I bought some MAP cleaner and plan to clean it when I return. Great information guys ( and gals)!!!
I didn't even know you could still get a battery where you had to add water, maybe for a lawn mower. You need to get rid of that thing and get a real battery designed for the car.

Get notified of new replies

To 2003 idling issue

Quick Reply: 2003 idling issue