C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Z06 Fog Lights Installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 12:47 AM
AngelDeath
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PLRX
Mine were ordered as 55W.
Were yours Euro like Toque? And have you experienced anything Toque said below?

Originally Posted by Toque
What I'm hearing is that 35W is best for the stock C5 GM plastic fog light HID housing. I heard some say that 55 is a little hot for the plastic housing. Just what I heard.... no experience....

I lucked into a set of the C5 GM Euro metal fog light HID housings. I may go with a 55w in them one day. Thats why I got the GM Euro Fogs.

Toque
Toque, thank you for chimming in, I read your website for the install as well along with PLRX before jumping in to doing this and saw your lights against the garage as you posted. I picked mine up from the site that should not be named, but I dont recall if its metal or plastic (Probably plastic), but I'm still leaning on the 55w's, truthfully if the housings get damaged i'm not going to be broken up about it, I'll hunt for the Euros, but usually I have been lucky with things working out when they shouldnt. I made sure when I did install, from the fuse box to the lights to use 16 gauge wire just to be on the safe side as I read stock was 18 and didnt feel comfortable using that gauge, even though that little purple wire in the fuse box is more like 20-22.

One last question for both of you is, using 6000K how well does it do as for light output during the rain? That is another concern. As we all know when the weather is dry everything works as it should (Headlights, fog lights) but I was wondering if the fogs get washed out in the rain at 6000K and if a lower "K" would work better without getting the yellow hue in the lights?

Thanks again both of you.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (05-11-2018)
Old 12-26-2013, 06:40 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by AngelDeath
Were yours Euro like Toque? And have you experienced anything Toque said below?

Toque, thank you for chimming in, I read your website for the install as well along with PLRX before jumping in to doing this and saw your lights against the garage as you posted. I picked mine up from the site that should not be named, but I dont recall if its metal or plastic (Probably plastic), but I'm still leaning on the 55w's, truthfully if the housings get damaged i'm not going to be broken up about it, I'll hunt for the Euros, but usually I have been lucky with things working out when they shouldnt. I made sure when I did install, from the fuse box to the lights to use 16 gauge wire just to be on the safe side as I read stock was 18 and didnt feel comfortable using that gauge, even though that little purple wire in the fuse box is more like 20-22.

One last question for both of you is, using 6000K how well does it do as for light output during the rain? That is another concern. As we all know when the weather is dry everything works as it should (Headlights, fog lights) but I was wondering if the fogs get washed out in the rain at 6000K and if a lower "K" would work better without getting the yellow hue in the lights?

Thanks again both of you.

I don't drive my car in the rain so I cant say on that.
I liked the 6000K because they more closely match my LED DRL's.
For a daily driver I would lean towards the 5000K
I have 5000K in my daily and they are nice and work well.

Toque
Old 12-26-2013, 12:19 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

I have to inspect those lights. I hope they are not melting

Mike, if possible, Can you send me a part number for those euro fog lights?
Old 12-26-2013, 07:09 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

C5 Corvette Euro Metal cased Fog Lamps.
Comes with brackets for mounting just like normal ones.

Left Side - 10274295
Right Side - 10274296

Toque
Old 12-26-2013, 07:15 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist

Left Side - 10274295
Right Side - 10274296

Toque
Holy Cow, GM parts direct has them for $162 each.

Time to buy a 35W ballast.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:36 PM
RedZMonte
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Anyone condidering HID's (headlight/foglights_
4300K will give best light output, That is what is used by OEM and dont have blue/purple color more pure white. You can also do a 3000K if you want a Ture "FOG" Light, Yellow output.
Stock Bulbs iirc are 37watt so you should be fine with a 35watt, other guys upgrade to a 50watt stock bulb without problems..
"Stock is the 899 (37.5 watt) bulb. I upgraded to 885's (50 watt) with lots of improvement." http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...-bulbs-c5.html

4300K vs 6000K

Last edited by RedZMonte; 12-26-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:39 AM
AngelDeath
Racer

PLRX, mind posting here after you take a look and letting me/us know how the housings are holding up before I buy my HID's?

Left Side - 10274295
Right Side - 10274296

Toque
Thanks Toque, might change mine to these in the summer. always liked metal and glass over plastic

Originally Posted by RedZMonte
Anyone condidering HID's (headlight/foglights_
4300K will give best light output, That is what is used by OEM and dont have blue/purple color more pure white. You can also do a 3000K if you want a Ture "FOG" Light, Yellow output.
Stock Bulbs iirc are 37watt so you should be fine with a 35watt, other guys upgrade to a 50watt stock bulb without problems..
"Stock is the 899 (37.5 watt) bulb. I upgraded to 885's (50 watt) with lots of improvement."
I changed mine to 885 50w bulbs when I installed my fogs, but it doesnt seem to do very much for light output, I adjusted them, but isnt giving me what I'm looking for as light placement.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:47 PM
Z06 Nate
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Subscribed!!
Old 12-29-2013, 12:35 AM
PLRX
Team Owner

2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist

PLRX, mind posting here after you take a look and letting me/us know how the housings are holding up before I buy my HID's?
I looked at them this morning, and they look fine to me. I looked at the ballast and they are 35W, not 55W. They are for looks , Im very happy with it.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:29 AM
AngelDeath
Racer

I looked at them this morning, and they look fine to me. I looked at the ballast and they are 35W, not 55W. They are for looks , Im very happy with it.
Thanks for looking PLRX, as much as I like your light placement with the 35W, I'm going to attempt the 55W, worse case if it melts the fog light housing, then I'll just get the Metal/Glass housing Toque mentioned. I'm kinda looking at it that if the 885 50W halogen isnt harming the housing, maybe I'll get lucky and not have any issues, I know the wiring will handle it since I used 16 gauge wire.

I'm going to attempt the project after the new year, will keep everyone posted.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:57 AM
PLRX
Team Owner

2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist

Thanks for looking PLRX, as much as I like your light placement with the 35W, I'm going to attempt the 55W, worse case if it melts the fog light housing, then I'll just get the Metal/Glass housing Toque mentioned. I'm kinda looking at it that if the 885 50W halogen isnt harming the housing, maybe I'll get lucky and not have any issues, I know the wiring will handle it since I used 16 gauge wire.

I'm going to attempt the project after the new year, will keep everyone posted.
good luck.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:54 AM
AngelDeath
Racer

Well just an update, I installed the HID's 55w but I decided to go with 5000k instead of 6000k, Lights up the road nice, but I need to finish tweaking the light placement because I think its a bit high, but being thats its been cold here in New jersey, I have to wait for a little warmer weather to make the final adjustments.

But so far so good, will check over the course of the next couple of weeks and see what the housing looks like.

One question though, more an FYI, IF the Car harness that plugs into the HID ballast is reversed (meaning its not +=+ -=-) it would constantly flicker from the moment it was turned on correct? I ask this just to be sure, my lights arent flickering, and come to full power in about 2 seconds, but I wanted to know other then flickering what I should look for since the harness on the ballast doesnt have positive and negative markings.

Thanks.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:02 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

One question though, more an FYI, IF the Car harness that plugs into the HID ballast is reversed (meaning its not +=+ -=-) it would constantly flicker from the moment it was turned on correct? I ask this just to be sure, my lights arent flickering, and come to full power in about 2 seconds, but I wanted to know other then flickering what I should look for since the harness on the ballast doesnt have positive and negative markings.

Thanks.
If your + / - are reversed , the lights will not work at all.
If you have flickering lights, then its most likely the ballasts.

Toque
Old 01-14-2014, 03:36 AM
AngelDeath
Racer

Thanks Toque, like I said it was more of an FYI since I never had HID's in my lifetime and this is a first. So far they are holding up, Tonight I aligned my headlights and the fogs. As of right now, what a difference. Currently I have halogens in my stock headlights but modified high beams in the low beam location. I just ordered another HID kit for the low beams to put with my projector headlights sitting in a box and make it complete.

I was curious, at what distance did you guys align the fogs? I did mine at 15', and my headlights I did at 25'. But I feel if I adjusted the fogs a bit higher that would be better placement against the road, but from everything I read on this forum I've read from 12" from the ground to the cutoff of the fogs at 15' to having the cutoff of the fogs 4" below the low beams.

Right now I dont even want to touch it cause I want to relish it before I throw in the aca and have to go through adjusting the low beams again. I'll take some pics this weekend so you see what I mean.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:56 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Thanks Toque, like I said it was more of an FYI since I never had HID's in my lifetime and this is a first. So far they are holding up, Tonight I aligned my headlights and the fogs. As of right now, what a difference. Currently I have halogens in my stock headlights but modified high beams in the low beam location. I just ordered another HID kit for the low beams to put with my projector headlights sitting in a box and make it complete.

I was curious, at what distance did you guys align the fogs? I did mine at 15', and my headlights I did at 25'. But I feel if I adjusted the fogs a bit higher that would be better placement against the road, but from everything I read on this forum I've read from 12" from the ground to the cutoff of the fogs at 15' to having the cutoff of the fogs 4" below the low beams.

Right now I dont even want to touch it cause I want to relish it before I throw in the aca and have to go through adjusting the low beams again. I'll take some pics this weekend so you see what I mean.
Another thing I thought of.... If your lights "flicker" then it could also be the the grounding location. The factory ground for BOTH fog lights is mounted right in front of the coolant reservoir. Its always a good idea to clean/sand off the ground connections if you have issues.

I aimed mine in my garage against the wall. I just tried to make sure that they were NOT pointing UP in any way. So far so good....

Toque

See Grounding location # 102

Last edited by Toque; 01-14-2014 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:46 PM
AngelDeath
Racer

Well like I said Toque, No flickering, it was an FYI but good to know, and the pics I'm sure if anyone else is having the issue will surely help. My car only has 36,000 miles on it so I'm good on the contacts. I actually grounded mine directly on the nut holding the foglight in place. And the c5 I got didnt have the wiring from the fusebox, only from the switch to the fusebox, so I ran the lines from the purple line I tapped to the two foglight locations.

Yeah I cant use my garage for aiming, my driveway and garage is on a massive incline, so I used my neighbors driveway thats level.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:49 AM
Elovette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I have a pair of used fog lights, and the combo trunk/fog switch....,now I just need the brackets and wiring harness. Anyone have any laying around????

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Z06 Fog Lights Installation

Old 02-23-2014, 12:18 PM
BoulderVette
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet solution for our cars! Well mine doesn't have that beautiful paint job yours does. Something I would rarely have reason to use, but would like to have. Thanks for all the info and pics.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:58 PM
slammer46
Intermediate

So I am almost done installing mine new to me used fogs about to do the last thing hooking up the purple wire to under the fuse box. I have to say all the things you guys do and then post are a major help to those of us who are not as mechanically inclined keep up the good work.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:35 PM
dan1546
Racer

This is probably a stupid question but can you turn the fog lights on with the headlight off and down or do the headlights have to be on for the fogs to come on?

Quick Reply: C5 Z06 Fog Lights Installation