C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical problem after header/intake install

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 05:23 PM
Pharmer81
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Electrical problem after header/intake install

I just installed headers and an LS6 intake on my 99 FRC. When I plugged the battery back in, the radiator fans run. When I turn on the ignition switch, they stop. The engine cranks, but won't start. With the ignition on, several messages like low fuel, low power, low voltage, service engine soon, etc appear on the DIC. When I shut the key off and pull the key from the switch, some of the gauge cluster lights remain dimly lit. Also, the windows won't roll down. What have I done? I had the battery unplugged for the entire project.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:46 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,585 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Did you remove ANY ground wires and if so DID YOU REINSTALL THEM on the correct ground terminals Specifically G105, G-106

check out this new stickey

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...e-grounds.html
Old 11-12-2011, 05:47 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Pharmer81
I just installed headers and an LS6 intake on my 99 FRC. When I plugged the battery back in, the radiator fans run. When I turn on the ignition switch, they stop. The engine cranks, but won't start. With the ignition on, several messages like low fuel, low power, low voltage, service engine soon, etc appear on the DIC. When I shut the key off and pull the key from the switch, some of the gauge cluster lights remain dimly lit. Also, the windows won't roll down. What have I done? I had the battery unplugged for the entire project.
Two things come to mind. First, check the engine grounds sticky. Make sure G106 above the starter has both terminals, and is tight. Also, see if you damaged the coolant temp sensor.....very common doing a header install.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:48 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Did you remove ANY ground wires and if so DID YOU REINSTALL THEM on the correct ground terminals Specifically G105, G-106

Ha.....one minute late....
Old 11-12-2011, 08:16 PM
Pharmer81
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee

Originally Posted by lucky131969
Two things come to mind. First, check the engine grounds sticky. Make sure G106 above the starter has both terminals, and is tight. Also, see if you damaged the coolant temp sensor.....very common doing a header install.
I owe you guys a beer if you're ever in Lincoln. I had the small wire on the passenger side hooked up to the starter instead of the block. I got it fixed up and she sprang back to life. The car sounds absolutely evil now. I can't wait to drive it. I have a dyno tune scheduled for Tuesday night.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:19 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

I owe you guys a beer if you're ever in Lincoln. I had the small wire on the passenger side hooked up to the starter instead of the block. I got it fixed up and she sprang back to life. The car sounds absolutely evil now. I can't wait to drive it. I have a dyno tune scheduled for Tuesday night.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:13 PM
Silverbullet00
Race Director

Location: Norman Oklahoma - The Only State in the Union with no Blue Counties!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Ain't this forum great?

Get notified of new replies

To Electrical problem after header/intake install

Quick Reply: Electrical problem after header/intake install