C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Muffler Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 01:54 PM
DavidD
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muffler Question

I have a 2002 c5 conv. I want more sound and performance. My muffler shop advised 2 choices:

1- Borla Touring (CAT)
2- Magnaflow 15713 (cat)

Cost of Borla $1850 installed
Cost of Magnaflow $1400 installed

He suggested the Magnaflow...very similar...much less money

any opinions would be very appreciated!!

Thanks...DavidD
Old 07-10-2011, 02:44 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

As soon as you say "Corvette" the price triples !!! I have tried many brands of catback exhausts--
NOW --My favorite is NO MUFFLERS----and install an X Pipe in place of the
H-pipe---You can get a universal X pipe from most places for about $75--
then with just the labor and some new over the axle exh. tubing make it all a straight back system---It all fits---2 1/2" tubing fits easily--3" requires some clearancing
However its NOT that loud and the X pipe actually quiets it down some--
It's not annoying while cruising but if you want it loud--its just right (IMHO) It's more of a race car sound when you get on it and not the overdone low Flowmaster rumble that we all have gotten used to---
Total cost maybe $200 and as far as HP--- the most of any other system--
Old 07-10-2011, 04:43 PM
toddk
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

David, opinions are exactly that, and you're best off forming your own. Acceptible sound level & drone is very relative. I'd suggest checking out local Corvette clubs and give a listen to other setups before you drop any cash. Performance - everything I've read says an axel-back is not really a performance mod, just for sound. For performance you need full exhaust including headers, hi-flow cats, X-pipe, axel-backs, and a tune. More expensive, but you will feel that upgrade.

My route was simply to pick up a set of used Borla Stinger dual tip axel-backs from the For Sale section here. Usually around $450-$500, and easy DIY install if you just cut out the old stock exhaust. Or take it to a shop and have them install. It's 15 minutes of easy work on a lift. I love hearing the engine rev, but it's not obnoxious and tolerable on the highway.

As tblu92 says, NO MUFFLERS sounds awesome. I ran that way for 15 minutes during my Borla install (after removal, before install), and it really sounds impressive. I can confirm it scares little children. I also suspect that it would attract some unwanted attention from local law enforcement.

Listen to a few in person (audio clips don't do them justice), maybe ride along, and you'll be happy with your choice. If not, it is all changeable so try something else.

Todd
Old 07-10-2011, 04:58 PM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

z06 ti, you can buy it for around 350 bucks here. lighter than either of those. Supports well over 900hp per the dyno charts i have seen here
Old 07-10-2011, 05:17 PM
01_torch_red_vette
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you won't see any real power gains from a muffler swap. you need to decide what sound level you are looking for. Ti's are a great buy for ~$300, but they arent much louder than stock. A lot of people have them modded by welding in a bypass pipe. I like the sound of my unmodded Ti's, but I have LT's, a catted x-pipe, heads and a cam. I have been thinking about getting electric cutouts too. I like not having the drone all the time, but wouldn't mind havingthe option to be much louder. I say go for the z06 mufflers and and have some electric cutouts welded in for half the price of those options you listed.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:18 PM
02koolC5
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lmperformance.com and marylandspeed.com have the best prices on cat back exhaust, the install is 4 bolts and 2 hangers and 2 clamps, then go to a shop and have them tack weld the clamps. you should not be paying that much for an installation that way too much. below is my install

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...alled-diy.html
Old 07-10-2011, 05:26 PM
guido7834
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by toddk
David, opinions are exactly that, and you're best off forming your own. Acceptible sound level & drone is very relative. I'd suggest checking out local Corvette clubs and give a listen to other setups before you drop any cash. Performance - everything I've read says an axel-back is not really a performance mod, just for sound. For performance you need full exhaust including headers, hi-flow cats, X-pipe, axel-backs, and a tune. More expensive, but you will feel that upgrade.

My route was simply to pick up a set of used Borla Stinger dual tip axel-backs from the For Sale section here. Usually around $450-$500, and easy DIY install if you just cut out the old stock exhaust. Or take it to a shop and have them install. It's 15 minutes of easy work on a lift. I love hearing the engine rev, but it's not obnoxious and tolerable on the highway.

As tblu92 says, NO MUFFLERS sounds awesome. I ran that way for 15 minutes during my Borla install (after removal, before install), and it really sounds impressive. I can confirm it scares little children. I also suspect that it would attract some unwanted attention from local law enforcement.

Listen to a few in person (audio clips don't do them justice), maybe ride along, and you'll be happy with your choice. If not, it is all changeable so try something else.

Todd
I just got the Borla stingers and love them. Not too loud and I haven't experienced any drone. Nowhere near $1800!
Old 07-10-2011, 06:55 PM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

do you want loud or sound. b&b bullets will give you ear splitting loud for about 550 bucks

Get notified of new replies

To Muffler Question

Quick Reply: Muffler Question