C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B&B PRT's w/ Speedway tips finally installed DIY

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 01:15 AM
02koolC5
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default B&B PRT's w/ Speedway tips finally installed DIY

Before with stock muffler

The new PRT's with speedway tips

The first thing I had to do was read up on jacking up the vette the DIY
post #63 was the ticket there.
I got the car up, and placed jack stands in location, I must say that this seems to be the only way to jack the vette was quick easy and safe.
I removed the flange bolts at the end of "H" pipe.

I then took my sawzall and cut the pipe at the mufflers, removed muffles from hangers the attempted to remove the over axle pipes, didn't have the sway bar dropped out of the way so I did that.

Drivers side came out easy, the pass. side was a little more difficult ended up cutting the pipe again, the flange was hanging up on trans. pan and I didn't want to push my luck.
So, that was the removal, took maybe 30 minutes. Installation was pretty simple also the new system was 2 part axle over pipe and the muffler with tips.
I put the over axle pipes in and hand tightened the flange bolts the pass. side didn't give me any problems going in.
Placed the supplied clamps over the axle pipes and muffler pipe also leaving that loose put the mufflers in the hanger mounts and kept those loose as well.

Took some time to line tips up ....wasn't really sure where or how far to place these so just guessing at this point,
got them where i liked them and then started to tighten the bolts up at flange then clamp and finally the mounts.

They look great ever since I saw them on a vette I wanted them, and for the sound,
very throaty in the lower gears and low speeds and on the highway no drone or resonance still can hear the tire noise ..lol
and in passing mode simply awesome

Overall project was easy just took a while to get up the nerve to actually commit to it, will still need to go to the muffler shop for some tack welding because can't seem to keep clamps tight and the tip alignment gets slightly off,
this forum is a great place I don't know if I would have done this myself...just knowing that there folks on here that will help,
if a person gets in to trouble with a repair or modding! Thanks for viewing......Bill

Last edited by 02koolC5; 05-23-2011 at 01:16 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-23-2011, 02:17 AM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Reminds me of something.... maybe it was 2002?

J/K, job well done.

Quick Reply: B&B PRT's w/ Speedway tips finally installed DIY